Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: NT or AT (1947-D washington)

This is one of two coins I got recently from local dealers. I am posting pictures of the coins here to get your opinions on whether they are NT, or AT, and how you come to your conclusion. I got them from different dealers (though they have similar toning colors), and this is a 1947-D Washington Quarter.

imageimage
Retail coin dealers, the only people who can buy a $10 coin for $2, and sell it for $30.

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    AT. Same comments as for the walker.
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    yep same as the walker

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    you should do a different poll asking "m-a or m-ua" (mkt-acceptable or mkt-unacceptable). obviously any silver quarter that looks like that has unnatural toning.

K S
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Come on now, you are trying to claim this Washington came from a different source as the Walker? They have both been AT'ed by the same process with the same bogus colors.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Phony as hell, just like every other one this kid has posted and some he's sold on eBay.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    With that type of coloring you shouldn't even need to ask.

David
    David
  • Options
    LOL Russ. Looks like tonecoin2003 Jr.
  • Options
    Eric,

It's worse than just the toning. Note this statement:

<< <i>this coin has a near immaculate reverse with gold rim toning and Proof-like qualities. >>

The reverse has been improperly cleaned, and I know for a fact that the kid knew it.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720

<< <i>LOL Russ. Looks like tonecoin2003 Jr. >>

Has anyone considered sending a message to the poor buyer of that coin? MS65 my rear, it's been cleaned, AT'd and AU at best.

The seller should be tarred and feathered.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭
    Mr Haines, why don't you come straight with us? I think what you are really asking is what we think of your work. It's not very good.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's probably trying to do what that guy did way back.... the other guy wasn't doing the AT thing. But would ask for opinions on grade, then in turn say in his auction description we said it was a certain grade.

This guy might have hoped the good people here willing to waste their time on his thread, would say it's real toning so he could mention it in his auctions. JMO Heck, might even be the same guy, you never know.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    I think Hadleydog hit the nail on the head.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

<< <i>I think what you are really asking is what we think of your work. It's not very good. >>

I don't think Carter is old enough to buy chemicals
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    The more coins you look at in person and the easier it will get so you can tell most of the time. I know, as I was unable to distinguish until I looked at many many coins. Try going to a show and look at the dealers who sell PCGS and NGC toned coins and then look at the ones which are raw. Not a gaurantee but should help alot.

Here are a few NT 25c .

imageimage
    imageimage

Sorry for the large images.
  • Options
    Carterhaines:Last Visited On: July 31st, 2003 10:24 PM

I think we scared him away...I just hope he's not visiting as a guest or a new member.
  • Options
    He just changed ID on eBay!Be on the lookout for him!
  • Options
    cypuchi( 786) Sep-15-03 15:01:33 PDT 3038181634 S
    Complaint : My opinion, fraud & cheat. Sold me counterfeit coin and wouldn't make good.
    bgradomski( 7 ) Sep-04-03 10:04:29 PDT 3040095411 S
    Complaint : AVOID!! Sells counterfeit coins. REFUSES to refund even partial amount.AVOID!!
    chimaerag( 19) Sep-01-03 20:22:32 PDT 3040096200 S
    Complaint : Sold counterfeit coin, refuses to refund. Avoid!!!
    sherlock63( 170) Aug-24-03 20:33:58 PDT 3038179764 S
    Complaint : AVOID THIS DEALER-SELLS COUNTERFEIT COINS-IGNORES EMAILS-A DISGRACE-

Yep, it seems to have caught up to him.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file