Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why isn't eBay on the carpet for breaking the law?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
They're so wonderfully adept at prohibiting perfectly LEGAL collectibles and they allow THIS crap.

This POS violates every precept of the Hobby Protection Act and yet is allowed on eBay.

I often wonder if they would take cocaine auctions if "Dad collected it?"

I report these to ebay. Do you?

Jeez, have to edit to provide the link.....SERENITY NOW!!! SERENITY NOW !!

imageillegal item....against the law......aiding and abetting.....grr

Comments

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    these items are not illegal

K S
  • Options
    JJacksJJacks Posts: 759

I thought a copy like this is supposed to say "COPY" or something to that effect on it?

JJacks
    Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    i kinda like it, i know i'll never be able to buy a real one so this would fill the hole. I'm not going to buy it but as long as he is selling it as a copy i see nothing wrong with it.
  • Options
    RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    It's NOT an exact replica and probably doesn't need to be marked as such.

The weight is off, not to mention that there IS NO SUCH COIN as an 1896 Draped Bust dollar with Heraldic Eagle reverse.

I believe there was a thread last week sometime that was relavent to this topic. How old is this piece? If it predates the Hobby Protection Act, it may not even apply.
  • Options
    While I agree with you 100% about eBay, this auction is legal. The Hobby Protection Act only states that any coin you wish to introduce into commerce that is a replica must indeed be stamped with the word Copy on it and these items must only be stamped with this after the Hobby Protection Act was made law. Any replicas made prior to this time may simply be sold as Replicas or Copies, so long as they are described as such and there is no fraudulent intent.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Having eBay on the carpet for breaking the law would be hard to do when eBay isn't breaking any laws.
    That would be akin to having David Hall & CarolJ on the carpet for breaking the law if I were selling replicas on the BS&T Board.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    I think it is sufficiently misleading as to be able to fool the novice, hence, it violates the Hobby Protection Act without a prominent labeling of "COPY" on the coin itself. Putting it on E-Bay is putting it into interstate commerce.
    DSW
  • Options
    RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Again, it goes back to when it was produced. The Hobby Protection Act only applies to the coins produced AFTER it went into effect.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    many of these were replicated long before the law requiring "copy" to be enscribed was enacted. the 1 in question is a very common, old fake

K S
  • Options
    Why don't spend little to own a 200 years-ago nice example for fun & collection?

The seller obviously isn’t the sharpest pencil in the box. image
    Thadd...
    Novice collector, occasionally selling some coins on eBay. Click HERE to see all my auctions.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Normally, I'd say that a listing like this is deliberately designed to deceive. It says nothing about relica in the title, and mentions it only a couple times in the description. Anybody who's done business on eBay knows that there are plenty of reading impaired bidders who would never notice where he uses the word "replica".

However, in this case it's a fixed price listing for only $8.99. I don't think this seller is trying to screw anybody.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    It is noted on the posting that this guy is registered in Hong Kong. He probably doesn't care if it violates US Law or whatever.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    OK everybody, repeat after me:

Ebay is just a venue...

Ebay is just a venue...

Ebay is just a venue...
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A venue is a terrible thing to waste.

Change of venue your honor.

OK.....it's legal. It will never be used for fraudulent purposes. It was made in the old days.

Still pisses me off.

Can't sell a Nazi flag, but can sell a phony coin that would be against the law if it was made today.
    Oh hell, I'm gonna set off a firework. And drink beer.

And cheer on Shrub's brave and valiant "Bring em on" taunt.

Maybe whiz a coin. Or send some washers to ACG.

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    can't sell a Nazi flag? how about a "German Banner from early 40's Rare Collectible"?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file