Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Morgan question on 04-P

A bought a raw 04-P Morgan at a show a while back. Really nice cartwheel luster....typical crummy strike...my question has to do with the texture in the fields. I can't scan it, and I don't think it would show the issue any way.

The field texture is rather dimpled....I think I've seen the term "orange peel" used before. This kinda looks like that. I have read that the 01-04 P mint dollars had planchet flaws, for lack of a better term, because of some changes made in the furnaces used in annealing....however..

the more I look at it, the more I'm wondering if I got a "whizzer" or other problem. The orange peel texture is throughout the field...right up to the devices...and even inside the open letters and numbers it's the same way. Don't see the obvious signs of whizzing...and as I said it does have appealing dollar cartwheel luster....but I just don't know.

Does anybody with a good UNC 01-04P Morgan see anything like I'm describing ??

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whiz lines probably wouldn't get into the letters- it's possible that the die was corroded when the coin was struck, transferring the rough pattern.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Doesn't look like corroded die...it's too consistent in the pattern...wish I could scan it.

If it isn't a problem coin...I'm figuring it's a planchet problem/issue. Haven't decided whether it's worth it to send in for a possible "bag" or net grade.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    If it's inside the devices it's from the die because whizz lines would stop just a little short of the devices.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "textured effect" you mention in the fields is not uncommon on 1901-Ps, resulting from grossly overused dies. But I can't remember seeing it on '04-Ps, though.

-- Dennis
    When in doubt, don't.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file