Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A portrait of Anna Williams, the model for the Morgan Dollar

It's been a while since I posted the image of this, and thought it might be a good time to do it again. I own one of the original art pieces, not a reproduction.

Comments

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey that's pretty neat. Is this the art piece you own? She looks like she's ready to chew someone out.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    Interestingly, one of Morgan's children disputed that Anna Williams was actually used for the dollar design. See the last paragraph of this link from the Society of US Pattern Collectors.

Re: Anna Williams

BTW, that really is an awesome piece of art to own.
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Yes, it was a 8x11 print that was a supplement to that newspaper. There have been repros floating around on eBay, but I have one of the originals.
  • Options
    Not bad......but her hair looks shorter in this work than on the coin.

This was a good fit for her........on the Morgan dollar. I'm pretty sure she couldn't have been used on the early "bust" coinage, however, had she been alive then of course. image
    The Ex-"Crown Jewel" of my collection! 1915 PF68 (NGC) Barber Half "Eliasberg".

Once again resides with Legend, the original purchaser "raw" at live Eliasberg auction. Laura and i "love" the same lady!

• Options
    I know about that letter, and have a hard time believing it. It just happend to turn up in 2002? There is an abundance of evidence that Anna Williams was in fact the model for the dollar; George Morgan was known to claim he didn't use any model in respect for Anna Williams' wishes to remain anonymous.
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Are those die striations on her face??

dragon
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Thats great.Thanks for posting it again as I must have missed it the last time.

• Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are those die striations on her face??

dragon >>

Looks like they're on the holder!

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    Are those die striations on her face??

Nothing a little photoshop-dip wont cure.
    I can `curate` it.
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    The claim does seem suspicious, especially in light of the similarities between Anna Williams and the Morgan, Schoolgirl and Shield Earring Dollars.
  • Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Thanks for sharing that - very cool.

Her profile, especially her chin and nose look just like the profile on the
    dollar.

That's what i like about this forum. Always something interesting.
  • Options
    In a similar story. I saw Antique Roadshow on TV once someone brought in some original photos of the Indian
    and/or Buffalo of the emfamous nickel series.Thought that was cool.

Also some wymsical painting by Frank Zappa at a age 10 or so? bought by a
    nextdoor neighbor at the Zappa garage sale.
  • Options

<< <i>Are those die striations on her face?? >>

Heh heh.. nope. They are creases in the protective shrink wrap the print is wrapped in. It has a cardboard backing.
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    They are creases in the protective shrink wrap the print is wrapped in.

Thank God. I thought your (or somebody's) cat had taken a swipe at it. image
    Gilbert
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    At the risk of sounding sexist, I'm still trying to figure out if I were to meet her in real life, would I think she was:

A) Unattractive

B) Very average in looks

C) Pretty

D) Extremely attractive

E) Strikingly beautiful (no pun intended)

I know she was shorter than average and in her time that would have been quite short by today's standards. She was a little overweight.

But there IS something remarkable about that face. Timeless beauty perhaps.

Why am I thinking about that movie "Somewhere in Time"?
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    ClausUrchClausUrch Posts: 1,278
    Cool; she's got that "Elvis" thing going on with her upper lip. Could be Elvis' great grandma??????
  • Options
    The info available on these boards never ceases to amaze me - great stuff!!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    Thanks!!! for sharing that.............

John

Enjoy the day.........

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file