Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you think the slab insert caused this toning?

These are two new additions to my PF roosie collection. The first one is a 1958 graded PF-68 the second one is a 1963 graded PF-68 cam. Both coins are NGC. The toning looks alot better than the pictures show (these are just some quick pics) the toning on the 58 is a nice purple the 63 is mostly blue. I think the toning was caused by the slab they are in the old NGC holder where the insert isn't seperate from the coin I included a picture of the slab. The reason i think the slab caused it is because the coins are toned on the top and only on the Obv. the same place as the paper. Am i right or wrong in assuming that the slab toned the coins?

Comments

• Options
    I bet they look great in person! Ive looked at thousands of 58 proof sets and ive never seen the color you describe. They are probably very rare. A 58 proof dime in pr68 is hard enough to get any way. You have a nice one here!
    In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.
  • Options
    Very nice, I love em.

Brian.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Yes, they are very nice. One of these days I gotta look through my proof sets from the 1957-1972 and see if I got any that look like that. mikeimage
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Edited to say : The toning appears to be the type that sometimes occurs after a coin has been encaspsulated.
  • Options
    Well now that we have an answer from THE coinguy, do you think it helps or hurts the value? Can toning cover Cameo because the 1963 is slabbed as CAM but the obv dosn't look it anymore.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some rare PR65 silver patterns (proofs) from the 19th century. The older NGC slabs on some of them has caused them to turn to a rose pinkish color and they look drop dead gorgeous.

The concern though is that how long is enough for these patterns? How much toning is TOO MUCH?

They might be getting ready for an intercept holder?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    That is my concern to, Would NGC reslab these with the newer slabs to help prevent more toning? If they do what does it cost?
  • Options
    mbiker: wrong move.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I learned, talking with Larry Briggs over the phone last week that SEGS offers the only holder that completely separates the coin from the insert.
    He also is a firm believer that the inserts tone (harm) coins- especially NGC and then followed by PCGS.

peacockcoins

• Options
    My position is that I would want to either use intercept holders around the NGC slab or get these coins crossovered to PCGS along with a intercept sleeve to stop further toning as well.

I am at that crossroads and mbiker looks to be also.

A perfect question for Mr. Hall.
  • Options

<< <i>A perfect question for Mr. Hall >>

I agree i'm usually not on here Tuesday nights so you'll have to ask the question.
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be interesting in knowing what exactly about this insert might have caused the toning (some property of the ink or paper). You would think that a company like NGC would go out of there way to use materials that would not react with the coin.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    pmh 1nic and others,

When I was working at NGC, I think I was told that at least two different chemists (or similar type experts) were consulted. They tested the holders, and grading labels, including the ink that was used on them, to make sure that they were inert. We were told that they were. I don't know what I can say, beyond that.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    my theory:

those dimes had something unusual on the surface that reacted w/ the vapors leeched out of the slab

all plastic produce gases - even "inert" plastic. it's a question of which plastic is more inert than others. i suspect the chemists that coinguy1 refers to meant their plastic is inert w/ respect to specific metals - but IF metal had something foreign on the surface, a chemical catalyst so to speak, it might actually encourage a chemical reaction.

all just a theory, i have no proof whatsoever

K S
  • Options
    I have a couple of coins (Morgans and a shield nickel) that are in the original NGC holders from 87-88 and they show no toning at all so I doubt the NGC slab had anything to do with it.
  • Options
    Very nice coin and I agree it looks like it toned in the slab.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I have some old NGC slabs and I am convinced that the coins in them toned after slabbing. They all have that strange dark blue purple color on the coin area nearest the paper insert.

Here's a clearly bag toned Morgan BUT it has peripheral tone on both sides. Text

Another strange peripreral: Text

I've had this one a number of years and watch the toning grow bigger: Text

Another bag toned with peripheral tone. The obv of this coin is next to the slab and the rev has air space between the coin & slab: Text

This crescent matches the angle of the coin in the holder, it's toned where the coin is away from the slab but where there is no air gap the it's untoned. It's not a crescent from another coin laying on top of it in a mint sack. Text

These coins are not flat in the holder & seem to tone in the holder where there is room for air and do not tone where the coin is against the slab.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MB,

Just post on the Q&A now... he will review it on Tuesday, then reply... you can post there anytime, the Tuesday bit is just when he has designated time to reply.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file