Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I found a Full Step Chart (picture included)

I know that there are a lot of Jefferson Nickel collectors out there, and they are always hunting for Full Step examples. I found this coinage magazine from 1984 in a box in my garage and it had a nice chart that showed how to determine if a coin rates the FS designation. I thought I would post it here as a resource for everyone to use.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    That was interesting. I never knew how they figured FS nickels.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Shane – Thanks for the informative post!

Dan
  • Options
    Thanks! image

That's handy.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Just in case you ever intend on getting rid of the old mags, let me know...I want anyone's refuse numismatic literature, I'll pay a nominal amount for it if required, and will pay the shipping.

BTW, very interesting story on nickels.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    Thank You Kypto !

I have thinking about getting into FS. That is just the info I was looking for ! image
    I am looking for any PCGS MS 70 Silver Eagle.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This diagram was provided by kryptonitecomics in his original post.

Ok class, let's see who knows how many steps there are on this one. Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    very informative - thanks!
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    Here's another. image

• Options
    >>Ok class, let's see who knows how many steps there are on this one. Leo

#1 5 steps - assuming that the 2nd quarter, step 5 is actually broken. If its complete - 5.25 steps

#2 5 steps

By the method used by Mr. Weiss. The question is is this the way PCGS and NGC count the steps? I do not know but would like to find out. I use a full unbroken step to count before sending into grading. For these examples -

#1 3 steps

#2 4 steps

Which one is correct in terms of having a coin slabbed as FS?
  • Options
    #1 would be non FS from PCGS, only 4 steps.

#2 would be FS since 5 steps are present across the entire step device.

Greg
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    To me the examples Leothelyon provide look like a 4 and 5 step coin, respectively.

I really don't understand what a "point zero four and one half" (forty-five hundredths ??) step coin is. image

The magazine instructions appear different then the instructions in the lastest (2nd) edition of The Jefferson Nickel Analyst, which describes "the PAK method" (dividing into quarters, counting each quarter and then dividing by 4) for getting the total number of steps,

BUT

this method DOESN'T provide a description of where the steps are missing, so, it was revised by Daniel Crane and illustrated by using the appropriate numbers per quarter (e.g., 6666 would be a full six steps, 5555 a full five or 6645 for an almost five steps).

Generally, steps are counted by viewing under power ( 7x to 10x and not higher than 20x) from left to right. Pre- 1971 design and strike weakness affecting the steps usually show up under the third pillar (opposite the high point on obverse). Where the steps merge together is called "bridges". A full step is counted when you have a defined raised line from left to right without bridges or deep nicks and abrasions. None of the grading services recognize less than 5 steps for a "full step" nickel.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    Step counting has changed over time. Most methods break each step into quarters. Earlier methods added the quarters and divided by 4. Some of the coins adding up to 5 steps would not qualify for the FS designation today. I could add some really tuff coins under this method a 60D and a 61D to name a few.

Todays standard for PCGS requires at least 5 clean - complete steps to get the FS designation. Under the Crane method this would be a minimum 5555.

In effect I us the Crane method to track my FS coins. I distinguish between 5 1/4, 5 1/2, 5 3/4 and 6 step coins. I find this helpful (1 of the factors) when considering to upgrade or not.
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    Good morning class image (up late, up an hour ago)
    I want to thank everyone for their great input, keep it coming. And to give credit to kryptonitecomics for this great topic. At first, I didn't want to turn this topic into something
    silly but nonetheless somewhat enjoyable.

I agree with the assessments made here and would want to add that #1 example could be read as having a total of 5.25 steps (because it has 21 quarter steps) with 4 complete steps or (4 c. s.)
    So I would make a note of 5.25 (4 c.s.) steps. In the #2 example, I would read it as having
    5.50 steps but it wouldn't be necessary to make a note of the (5 c. s.) as a 5.50 step notation would signify the coin as having 5 complete steps. (4 c. s.) would be the highest notation to indicate steps less then having 5 complete steps. I hope that makes sense.

Here's another with a bridge on the 3rd and 4th steps. Leo image

• Options
    Leo:

Excellent clarification!

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

• Options
    Here's one for the PCGS graders when discerning full steps for the ill-defined wavy steps on the 1938PDS and 1939PDS Type one Reverse of 1938 Jefferson nickels.

In this example the bridges have been placed on the 1st and 2nd steps and on the 4th and 5th
    steps. Are there 5 full steps in this example. image

I would be surprised to see a PCGS representative answer this but if they should happen to do so and if they wouldn't mind adding further comment on when 6 Step Jeffersons will get their due recognition or do I need to show another display of.....oops, I see kryptonitecomics has already
    done that.

Futher comments later....stay tuned in...

Leo

• Options
    Everyone is welcome to give a step count to the examples.

Frank
    Thank you for the nice comment.
    Have you seen this coin in another thread

How does a cyber-space 6 step collection sound. Aside from the common 6 steppers that would make the list, I'll add the possibility of a 1949 6 stepper to the CS collection.

Leo

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe i'm missing something, but it seems pointless to add quarters when what we're really after are FULL steps, cleanly defined from pillar 1 to pillar 4. it's a frustrating search sometimes but worth the effort.

leo, in your example with the bridge at steps 3 and 4-----would you prefer that coin or one with the bridge completely struck but totally missing the sixth step? i'd prefer the latter.

al h.image
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    wow I just started loving the series..

STOP SCARING ME!

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    in your example with the bridge at steps 3 and 4-----would you prefer that coin or one with the bridge completely struck but totally missing the sixth step? i'd prefer the latter

Hi Keets
    That would to be the critera for certification purposes, five complete steps. But there are 20 to 30
    illusive dates where settling for an example with less then 5 comeplete steps, needs to prove sufficient for the majority of FS collectors. You can see the difficulties experienced by checking the lower ranking registry sets. Over the 12 years I've been collecting this series, I have found myself learning towards locating the fs Jeff's with the earliest die state strikes. This has been just as challenging. Just recently, I finally have located a 1955-D with a strike that is very strong and this coin is brilliant and lustrous and doesn't have that dark look that was associated with the annealing problems they were having in those days. All five steps are there but for a bridge and
    two light nicks. At 5x the steps look great but at 16x the problems can be seen. But for this find,
    I'm just tickled to death over it. After 12 years and just 75 cents, I finally have a very nice example for that date and I think it would be very tough to improve. How someone counts the steps would depend on what their preferences would be and what they learn over time collecting this series.

Leo

• Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    From my research...Anacs grades the way the mag explained in "quadrants" as long as there is 20 full quadrant you have a full step coin. I guess this is basically an "averaging" method. For example if you have in "quadrand" or "quarter" 1 6 steps, then in q2 4, then in q3 4, then in q4 6, you have 5 full steps...seeing as 6+4+4+6=20 and 20 divided by 4 quadrants is 5. That is how the grading co ANACS grades. I found this out by asking them at their table at Long Beach. PCGS however requires the steps on only the first 5 steps (riser) and first 4 threads to be complete and unbroken from the beginning of quadrant 1 to the end of quadrant 4. They do not divide up the quadrants and make an average. This generally means that if there is a nick or tick that breaks a step, it shouldn't be considered a fs nickel at PCGS, but at ANACS it theoretically still could. NGC, I am just going based on dealer info as I have not asked them or confirmed it with them via sending coins in, and that is that they require all 6 steps (risers) and all 5 threads be complete and unbroken, meaning complete seperation of steps with no joining at all.

So far I have seen this to be true in all of my submissions, however I have seen some variance and "gifts" given on coins that at least had sharper, bolder steps, but a nick or slight joining. This is also more likely to happen on a 43d or 40d, than lets say on a 53s, or 60d.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    Great info Morris,
    I would like to add that it was the old PAK Full Step Nickel Club who came up with the method of counting steps in quarters. And I believe the new FSNC use it today. And the reason for it was that many dates could not be found to have 5 full steps. For this reason, this is why the system was developed. And later ANACS adopted it at the request of FS collectors. I know there are some original PAK member here on the boards that could shed more light on this. Even though ANACS has used this method, I believe it was seldom
    use for the exception of the very difficult dates like the 38-S and 39PDS type 1 dates. If the date was already available with 5 full steps, for example the 1942-D then there was no need to use the quarter step count for that date. Although notations of 5.25, 5.50 and 5.75 step counts were used by collectors as stated by Frank Corso in his post, for upgrading purposes and dates having less then 6 steps.
    The ANACS population report catalog is a great source to search for the availability of 6 step Jeffersons. ANACS has graded 25 different dates, 1938 to 1970, (750 nickels, MS64 to MS67) with having 6 steps. 10 of those dates are common making up 675 of the 750 nickels. So we have 15 dates with a total of less the 75 that have 6 full step examples. On further note, 8 dates of those 15 dates, there are only 11 pieces graded with 6 steps. (I have 3. I know one collector has at least 3. Corso and two other FS collectors may have the others) So if anyone has hopes of completing a NGC registry set consisting of 6 step nickels only, may end up with a very short set 10 to possibly 15 nickels out of the 80 coins from 38 to 70 dates.

Leo

• Options
    Leo:

Do you have access to ANACS pop report? If so, how many if any has ANACS graded for the following dates in full step: 53S, 60D, and 61D?

Between NGC and PCGS only 4 - 53S ( 1 is new), 1 - 60d and 1 - 61D.

Frank

• Options
    hi Frank
    For the 53-S 26/12 with no MS66's There are no FS 60-D's or 61-D's certified by ANACS as of their
    March report. There once were but no more.

Can you tell me why? This is not a trick question for there is a reasonable answer.

Leo

• Options
    I'm guessing those two coins were crossed to PCGS, and the certs returned to ANACS?
  • Options
    Leo:

I agree the coins were probably crossed from ANACS to PCGS. I find it very surprising that ANACS has not graded any full step coins for 53S, 60D or 61D.

Frank

• Options
    Hi Ken
    Congratulation! I see the Nevadaman only needs one more to complete his collection. It'd be complete had Nagengast's 53-S crossed. I had the pleasure talking with Bern about that coin
    and his old collection. I wanted to know if I had his 53-S and who he sold his collection too.
    Then I saw it in the registry. With all the talk about a showdown at the ANA in Florida, will
    you , Frank, David and Bill be there if PCGS has it?

Leo

• Options
    Leo:

I will definitely be going to the FUN show. It is about 2 hours from my house in Jacksonville. I was considering showing my set against the set Wondercoin represents and others perhaps. But truthfully, I'm not sure it is worth the effort, risk and expense.

We should check to see what Jefferson collectors will be going to FUN and on what day(s) in the December timeframe.

Maybe we will finally meet!!

Frank

• Options
    I've never been up in the air before and it's a 40 hour round trip from where I'm at. Maybe you could stop by and give me a lift. LOL I don't know, isn't Florida swampy and humid. That could be a bad kind of thing for the coins. My collection isn't any thing to shout about. If I did make it there, I'd be lost and everyone would ignore me like most folks here. LOL I almost made the trip to the FUN show last Jan. but decided to forego the trip when I anticipated getting together with another FS collector which never happened.
    Are you referring to the mystery Montana man? He may have most of Al's collection and then some. I think this guy, whomever he is, has two of the coins you mentioned. Do you know who
    has the 4th.

Leo

• Options
    Leo:

I know where 2 of the 53S are. Not sure where the others are. Nevadaman is looking hard for one.

Frank

• Options
    Frank
    Had a great conversation with David earler this year. I'll catch up with him and see what he's up to. There are 3 other collectors that should be there and there are others like Nagengast and Bill Fivas. I thought you would had springed for that 54-S although the strike wasn't too impressive.

Leo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file