Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opened my Unopened 64 PR sets today!

DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
I just got a batch of ten unopened 1964 proof sets in todays mail, and was surprised to have gotten 10 truly unopened sets. I debated for about 3 seconds, and decided I would do what no man had done before me and open these sets. The first few were great looking sets with spot free pennies and untoned silver. Then things started getting fun. Sets 4 through 9 all had dcams of at least one coin, with some sets containing several. All told, I found 4 proof cameo halves that were totally spot and mark free (full cameo obv and rev), two genuine glow in the dark stand on your head dcam Washington proofs, two dcam Jeffs, and one dcam Roosevelt. All 10 of the pennies were spot free, and one of them was a dcam. I just mailed my submission to PCGS about an hour ago, and already I want to check the invoice # to see if they're graded. All of the coins I submitted were too nice to even give a bath. What fun. I guess that makes up for the other 100 duds. It sure was nice seeing those coins in exactly the same shape they were in 38 years ago when they went in the envelopes!image
Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Glade to see someone has hit a small gold mine after much turmoil. image

Robert
    You want fries with that?
  • Options
    Yeah.... what Russ said. image
    NMFB ™

• Options
    Nice Work! I'm happy for you (but I'm also quite jeolous).
  • Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    Congrats, that's a blast when that happens!

I'll save this thread for the next round of "there is no such thing as unopened proof sets" remarks. image
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    I'll save this thread for the next round of "there is no such thing as unopened proof sets" remarks.

Nah, just wait until he gets them back bodybagged for cleaning, AT, and environmental damage.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don, where'd you get them? An auction on ebay or ???

Wonder if they have any more?
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Sweet, keep us informed.....what a find.

My latest was a nice year set of 1953 coins, all unc and toned in shades of rainbow, looks like mint set toning, with brown cent. The Washington and roosevelt is an easy 67 with sweet blue toning. I like em raw for now, no chance of grading.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    I think the seller deserves some free promotion, so I've posted a link to the auction. Thanks all.

Unopened proof sets
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Hey! I was underbidder in that auction. You really suck.image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Bitter, table for one.image
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job DH. I did the same with my six upopened proof sets 1960, 1961, 1963 and 3 1964,s.......

To make a long story short, I found zippo, zilch, zero and oh, some ok proof coins with spots etc... arrggghhh.

Oh well that is what I get for playingimage

Good job!!!

Mark
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭✭
    Great find. Seller has quite a selection. I hope their journey over the next two weeks is as safe as the last 38 years.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    super job..and congrats...wanna pass any of them along for a good price when they come back!?!?!

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    What a thrill that sounds like! I remember when I bought 5 "flawed" 1959 proof sets off e-bay for $10 each. The Franklin's were spotted.... but the Washington's weren't and they were cameos!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Don - Enjoy, it will probably be ten years before you get another run of such good fortune. It couldnt have happened to a nicer guy , in spite of what Russ said. Bearimage
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the sniper became the snipee.

(You know Don will say these all came back 69 D/C just to see Russ go postal !)

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Philly Joe - You have to realize that Russ is already ticked off. His goal has always been to collect every Gem Proof Kennedy Half ever minted. Only now he has missed out on at least 10 coins, boy is he going to be mad. Bearimage
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    ROTHLMAO.... You sniped them from Russ. You do suck!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    DHeath,

Looks like you are trying it again. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Link
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options
    Great find. Wonder why there is one 64 proof set up for auction . Seems it should have been lumped in with the other 10.
  • Options
    Thanks Bear, thanks guys. Yeah, I did win some 65 unopened sets. I'll let you know. BTW - the coolest thing about the 64's is I saw them come out of the pack into the submission envelope sans dip. Regardless of PCGS's interpretation, I'll keep these guys. I can't wait for th 65's. I know they won't be as nice, but I can hope!image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file