Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Die Marriage of 1835 Half-Dime Discovered!

I am pleased to announce to the numismatic community the discovery of a PREVIOUSLY UNKNOWN CAPPED BUST HALF DIME DIE MARRIAGE FOR 1835! I discovered this piece approximately a week ago, and after a few hours under the stereomicroscope I sent my findings, up to that point, along with images to Brad Karoleff, Dr. Glenn Peterson, Stephen Crain and others for backup verification.

The new discovery piece (LM-12) is of the Small Date style - Obverse #4 of 1835 - and mated with Reverse JJ (narrow elongated dentil style) of 1836.

A couple of days ago I sent the final draft for an article - with full details and photos - to Brad Karoleff for inclusion in the next issue of the JRCS Journal.

Edgar Souders

BHNC #139 JRCS#157 MSNS, etc.

(Author of Bust Half Fever, The Top 100 R4 & R5 Capped Bust Half Dollars, The Digital RAG, etc.)

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nuclear first post!

Here's link to more details, including photos: Half Dime Forum
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CONGRATULATIONS, Edgar and welcome to the forums!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats & image.
  • Options
    for the morning crowd...
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Cool! The new discovery is cool, but so is the fact that Edgar Souders has joined the forum. Talk about having some real experts here!
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    This is truly significant news in the field of die marriage collecting of the early Federal coinage. Two new die marriages of Bust coinage discovered in the same week!! (1835 LM-12 half dime and 1806 O-130 half dollar). I don't recall that ever happening before. This is the first new die marriage for the baby busties in more than a dozen years, and the first since the publication of "Federal Half Dimes 1792 - 1837" by Russ Logan and John McCloskey in 1998. Coincidentally (and fortunately) it appears that the new die marriage, which of necessity must be numbered sequentially as LM-12, does not violate the LM numbering sequence, which also denotes the emission sequence (LM-12 was minted after LM-11, which in turn was minted after LM-10, etc.). From a detailed study of the discovery coin, it appears that it was minted using two previously known dies, late in their life. Although the coin is dated 1835, it appears that it was actually minted in 1836, after the 1835 LM-8 and also after the 1836 LM-7.

While this is truly spectacular news, it is met with somewhat mixed emotions by those of us who were 'complete' (91 of 91 known die marriages) just one short week ago. At least we now have something new to look for. image
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's not much more I can add to this thread other than to congratulate again Mr. Souders on a magnificent discovery image

Welcome to the forums FEVER, I think you'll find this place full of good people and information.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Same as Cladiator. This is an awesome find for the half-dime community and will be given the credit it deserves.

Once again, congrats on the find Fever.
  • Options
    Here is the 1835 LM12 Discovery Coin.

(photos from FEVER at the Half Dime Forum)
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum with the best "first post" I've ever seen. Congratulations on the find.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Congrats...

Now that's the way to start posting on here!

Is it safe to say Barndog now needs 2 coins?image
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on your discovery, and welcome to the boards! First new die marriage discovered in nearly ten years - that's really something. Who knows if it was the last one out there yet to be noticed!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options

<< <i>Congrats...

Now that's the way to start posting on here!

Is it safe to say Barndog now needs 2 coins?image >>

correct: two coins to have all 92 die marriages (missing the newest discovery plus the 1833 LM-5/V-10). I also need three additional coins to have examples of each remarriage: 1829 LM-6.1, 1832 LM-9.2, and 1833 LM-3.5. I hope I have forty or so more years to look for them!
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Congratulations on the discovery! Variety collectors are happily condemned to the fate of Sisyphus.
  • Options

<< <i>Congratulations on the discovery! Variety collectors are happily condemned to the fate of Sisyphus. >>

much better than filling holes in an album!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Congratulations on the discovery! Variety collectors are happily condemned to the fate of Sisyphus. >>

much better than filling holes in an album! >>

Somebody should make a quality album for the 123 marriages and re-marriages of the CBH10¢. I'd buy one.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Somebody should make a quality album for the 123 marriages and re-marriages of the CBH10¢. I'd buy one. >>

remember that there is a collector out there who says there is a third remarriage for the 1830 LM-1. No confirmation yet -- could get us to 124.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Somebody should make a quality album for the 123 marriages and re-marriages of the CBH10¢. I'd buy one. >>

remember that there is a collector out there who says there is a third remarriage for the 1830 LM-1. No confirmation yet -- could get us to 124. >>

Oy. By the time I'm near completion there will probably be 132 image
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Oy. By the time I'm near completion there will probably be 132

That's easy. Just make the album with a few extra slots for future discovery coins. image
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Edgar! A monumental event for the bust coin community from a great numismatist!
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975

<< <i>

Notice I said "happily." I like rolling the rock, too, even if it's up a different mountain. image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh my oh my! is this discovery month or what? image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file