Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where does stacks come up with this sh*t

Now when we read descriptions of coins we must put up with social commentary

In description of a 1892CC morgan

"Both dies were cracked in a spidery peripheral manner when this coin was struck, the reverse much farther along and in imminent danger of collapse—much like the majority of bridges in today's national infrastructure."

really?

come on

Comments

• Options
    At least they didn't mention the economy or the environment.image
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    At lead it adds some personality to the descriptions as opposed to the standard fare of "cracked dies are present and plenty on the reverse". As long as there aren't political statements or any quotes intented to antagonize, it's acceptable to me.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    Waterzooey; I would guess that after writing your ten thousandth auction catalog entry, you start to look for new material!
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I agree, eventually you fantasize you are a comedy writer.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First thing that comes to mind is that it's been driven over on a daily basis (like the bridges).

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree, eventually you fantasize you are a comedy writer. >>

And then reality strikes.

I'm with waterzooey on this one. End the description with the word "collapse" and it's good and witty, leaving further imagery and/or political and social commentary to the mind of the reader. Instead we're left judging the person that wrote the description, wondering where they get their information (is there a citation of their poorly quantified statistic?), and questioning their motiviation, which distracts from the fact there there's a coin for sale in here somewhere.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if that's the best a guy can up with maybe he should take a break or find other work. there seems to be quite a bit of complaining about Stack's lately, are they really getting as bad as everyone seems to paint them??
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    reads like someone is trying to be funny.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they do it just to see if they can sneak one past the editor.
  • Options
    It looks like someone was trying to add a little bit of spice to the description of a pretty generic coin. I don't see any harm in doing so.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭
    The truth always hurts image
    Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Maybe they know their demographics of likely buyers and are targeting the audience image Super marketing, but it cuts both ways. Will potentially alienate other market segments.
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why shouldn't the writer make such a claim? According to the American Society of Civil Engineers it is a perfectly legitimate statement.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I don't like to see commentary like that in an auction catalog. It simply has no place.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    You take coin collecting too seriously

and it tends to give you wrinkles.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I considered the analogy of the die state of a coin being comparable to an old bridge in danger of collapsing and perhaps causing
    death(s), I would pass on the coin, but I wouldn't pass over the bridge.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one bored writer.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Waterzooey; I would guess that after writing your ten thousandth auction catalog entry, you start to look for new material! >>

You could always invent new adjectives for colors like Heritage....
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't bother me at all.

Laugh if it's funny...agree if it's right...ignore it if you must...but smile and move on. image
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That is one bored writer. >>

Exactly. Not something the writer should make a habit of, but one time on a dull day, about coin he's probably unimpressed with?
    I give him a pass.
    Remember, folks: It's a hobby, not a religion.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file