Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CRIMINAL Liability for SUBJECTIVE Grading!

How many of you have heard of U.S. v. Numisgroup Intern. Corp., 170 F.Supp.2d 340 (E.D.N.Y. 2001)? In it, the United States criminally prosecuted -- successfully! -- several corporate defendants and at least one individual, Robert DuParton, for mail and wire fraud (among other counts), all arising from the sale of (under)graded coins at highly inflated prices. The government brought in two witnesses, one of whom was Rick Montgomery, to testify essentially that the defendants were crappy graders, at least by PCGS standards. (Interestingly, at one point in the opinion the judge wrote, "Montgomery has personally graded in excess of 5 million coins." 170 F.Supp.2d at 346.) From the grossly inflated prices the defendants were charging for their overgraded coins, the jury apparently inferred that the defendants *intended* to defraud their clients.

The opinion I cited has as its subject matter a Fed. R. Crim. Pro. 29 motion -- that is, a motion made by the defendant that basically argues that based on the evidence presented, even when viewed most favorably to the government, no crime has or could be proved. The defendants' primary contention was "that there was insufficient evidence to sustain the guilty verdicts returned by the jury because, as the Government's experts conceded, the grading of coins is largely subjective." Id. In other words, "[a]ccording to the [defendants], because coin grading is subject to highly individualistic interpretations within each of these two levels, the jury was precluded from finding that the grade of the coins was intentionally misrepresented." Id. at 347.

In a fascinating opinion, the district court rejected the argument after recounting the evidence presented at trial (including Montgomery's testimony and evidence pertaining to Accugrade's standards). Here's an interesting passage:

"Absent a handful of coins certified by the Accugrade grading service, the Numisgroup Defendants exclusively supplied their own grades on the coins they sold. The Government adduced direct evidence that Dupurton graded and established the selling price of each raw coin. Furthermore, there was evidence that Dupurton would crack open coins that had been certified and encapsulated by other grading services and re-grade the coins applying his own standards. In this review, the Court must determine whether, by applying their own grading standards against the backdrop of a coin industry that has no uniform standard, the Numisgroup Defendants contemplated that a consumer would be deceived by the grade represented to him during sales calls and on shipping invoices and, as a result, would also incur financial injury."

Id.

The court relied in part on Montgomery's testimony regarding his own personal grading of the coins that the defendants had peddled (I guess these are included in that 5,000,000-coins-personally-graded figure):

"Montgomery graded 702 coins that were admitted in evidence. Of the 702 coins he examined, Montgomery arrived at the same grade as the Numisgroup Defendants 67 times. Montgomery graded 397 coins lower than did the Numisgroup Defendants and deemed another 200 coins ungradable because they were either cleaned, altered, or damaged. So that a total of 597 of the 702 coins were either graded lower or could not be graded because of detrimental conditions. The remaining 38 coins were of the type that PCGS did not grade. Montgomery did not grade any of the 702 coins above the grade assigned by the Numisgroup Defendants.

"Furthermore, a survey of the grades determined by Montgomery with respect to the 397 coins that he graded lower demonstrates that Montgomery graded: 39 coins at 1 point lower than did the Numisgroup Defendants; 67 coins at 2 points lower; 45 coins at 3 points lower; 17 coins at 4 points lower; 17 coins at 5 points lower; 46 coins at 6 points lower; 59 coins at 7 points lower; 50 coins at 8 points lower; 20 coins at 9 points lower; and 37 coins were graded by Montgomery at 10 or more points lower than the grade assigned by the Numisgroup Defendants. This numerical breakdown leaves the Court wondering why, if coin grading standards are as inconsistent and inherently subjective as the Numisgroup Defendants contend, not one of the 397 grades assigned by Dupurton was higher than the corresponding grade determined by Montgomery."

Id. at 350-51.

The court concluded that "the massive disparity between the grade the coin customers anticipated receiving and what they actually received for their money expended clearly evinces the harm contemplated by the Numisgroup Defendants in their scheme to defraud." Accordingly, the jury's verdict was reasonable and supported by the evidence.

In reaching its conclusion, the court cited at least two other cases which (it said) were relatively factually similar: U.S. v. Kail, 804 F.2d 441 (8th Cir.1986) and U.S. v. Kayne, 90 F.3d 7 (1st Cir.1996), cert. denied, 519 U.S. 1055, 117 S.Ct. 681, 136 L.Ed.2d 607 (1997). I haven't looked at these, but it's interesting to note that apparently criminal prosecutions relating to grading are not unheard of.

It is my understanding that this case is or will soon be appealed.

FYI, and regards,
--csw

Tiger trout, Deerfield River, c. 2001.

Comments

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Overgrading some by 10 points!! That's some serious grade inflation. I wonder what types of penelties these guys are facing?? image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting read... very interesting.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Overgrading some by 10 points!! That's some serious grade inflation. I wonder what types of penelties these guys are facing?? image >>

May not be too big a deal. Technically, that could be an AU going to XF.
  • Options
    Is it a coincidence that the appeal is being heard tomorrow?
  • Options
    cswcsw Posts: 432
    The appeal is being heard tomorrow? Honest to god, it is indeed a coincidence.

DuParton received 63 months' imprisonment, three years of supervised release, and was ordered to pay $1,873,819.50 in restitution.

--csw

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Actually, that doesn't sound like merely "subjective" grading, but rather, purposefully loose, over-grading, with the intent to deceive/take advantage of.
  • Options
    cswcsw Posts: 432
    You're exactly right, coinguy. This one wasn't a close call. The concern, obviously, is that gray area in-between 'perhaps somewhat overgraded' and 'obviously fraudulent.' Good luck figuring it out -- hopefully in advance of a criminal prosecution!

-c

• Options
    Oral arguments are set for tomorrow in the US 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals.
    Like you didn't know. image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I believe that there has in fact been an established standard of grading between the three

major TPG companies. Sure there may be some coins that grade lower by a point and some coins that may grade

higher by a point. In rare instances, there may be a two point range. For the most part, however, all three companies

grade reasonably consistantly, within a fairly close range, according to each companies own specific standards.

Those standards are supported by industry pricing which gives a certain weight to each of the three companies

specific style of grading.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting read. Thank you for that citation. I was not aware of that criminal prosecution.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Incase you missed the other thread.

"On August 17,1990 the FTC issued a press release regarding PCGS. “FTC CHARGES COIN CERTIFICATION CO. MISREPRESENTS OBJECTIVITY OF ITS COIN GRADING SERVICES; COMPANY AGREES TO SETTLEMENT” The FTC charged that “PCGS misled consumers by falsely claiming that it provides consistent, objective grading of coins and that investment in PCGS-certified rare coins eliminates all the risk associated with the grading of coins.” PCGS/David Hall was charged and placed on probation for 2 years. Civil Action No. 90-1982, www.ftc.gov, New York Times, 8/17/90 p.D2, The Wall Street Journal, 8/17/90, pp.C1,C12."

Seems like you need to be careful what you claim.
  • Options
    wow i think i bought some of thoseimage
    Michael
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Link

Now you want to see some stuff? Go to the FTC site and in the search box in the upper right corner type "coin" and see what comes up...

• Options
    This is a great citation. It puts the lie to a certain tenor of thought on these boards that grading is only an "opinion," and because scammers issue mere opinion, nothing can be done about fraudulent overgrading.

I don't want to debate the point because it's such nonsense, but privately I saluted those responses that correctly noted "opinions" across all manner of disciplines (real estate, stocks, etc.) are guided by certain objective criteria and the application of these criteria can be judged for reasonableness. The same is true of coins.

Opinions are not equivalent merely because they are opinions -- you need only look to the value the market assigns to PCGS-graded coins (or Warren Buffet's market-moving statements) as proof.
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i><< Overgrading some by 10 points!! That's some serious grade inflation. I wonder what types of penelties these guys are facing?? >>

May not be too big a deal. Technically, that could be an AU going to XF. >>

Didn't PCGS do that in reverse on an 1804 dollar? XF-40 to AU-58 Oh sorry that was 18 points image

A simple point difference count doesn't mean anything unless you know what the grades are. A MS-63 with a rub is an AU-58 a five point drop yet we now that AU-58's are often called MS-63 even by PCGS. VF-25 to 35 is 10 points but a conceivable difference of opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file