Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Were SMS sets produced in 1964. Maybe someone can settle the discussion in the ebay forum. I say n

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Yes, they were.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    You will notice that they are quite pricey.

1964 SMS
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, they were.

Russ, NCNE >>

They were Russ??? Don't mistake my question, i know you the premier expert on this subject, i also did not know that!!!
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy to say I learned something new today.
  • Options
    There were a few sets produced in 1964. I think the numbers were very small, about 2 dozen or something like that. I believe certified examples exist. I looked for some Jeffersons when I was working on that set, but the 64 SMS Jeffs were many thousands of bucks so I skipped on them.
  • Options
    Think Russ reamed me bout this b4

65 planchets punched with 64 dies.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>65 planchets punched with 64 dies. >>

Actually, no. The 1964 SMS coins are distinctly different than the 1965 through 1967 coins. More of a satiny matte finish combination. There is a lot of speculation as to how they came about, ranging from test run for the upcoming SMS sets to presentation pieces for VIPs. Estimates range from a low of 10 to a high of 50 sets, with - as Carl said - the likely number being around a couple dozen.

BTW, the single 1964 business strike in MS68 listed in the PCGS pop reports is one of these that was mislabled and is now in an NGC SP69 holder.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why aren't these listed in the guide books. I mean, if they can put in 1913 nickels, 1894-s dimes and 1804 dollars, why not 1964 SMS coins. In the words of Everette... "That don't make no sense"
  • Options
    I saw a number of these coins while at NGC and have seen others in the intervening years.

I believe that many of them were owned by dealer Lester Merkin (a true gentleman and good guy, old-time dealer) at one time and that they were subsequently auctioned off by Stacks' years ago. If memory serves me correctly, I think I was told that they were not described as anything different/special at the time they were auctioned.

Many have since been certified.

As noted by Russ, their appearance is distinct from other years' SMS coins. And, they can be extremely difficult to attribute if you are unfamiliar with them. If I had to guess, I would estimate that roughly 20 sets were produced.
  • Options
    I just want to thank the gentleman for answering my question.

Kind of sad that the origin of these coins has been lost to history.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God!
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    ~PATRICK HENRY~

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file