Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin rip ethics, new TV show

GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
It seems like threads with coin rips always become an ethics train wreck.

There's a new reality show starting Sunday night called "Pawn Stars" and it's going to have some coin stories.

It's going to be interesting to see the ethics, of course ethics may change when it's on TV. Pawn shops aren't exactly coin experts and they can use the excuse "they pawned it, if it's so great they could have re-claimed it".

Might be interesting to watch image
Ed

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    History Channel, Sunday at 10 PM.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    I would guess not many people pawn coins worth over a $1000
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would guess not many people pawn coins worth over a $1000 >>

Or dont knowingly go to a pawn shop with coins over $1000
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    They just had an ad for it, the guy was showing a 1928 Peace dollar.

I bet they buy for below melt and every find is gravy. It will be fun to see how they do it.

Ed
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting, Thanks for the heads up Ed !
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    taxbuster1040taxbuster1040 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
    I set my dvr..... thanks
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A TV show on pawn stores......sign of the times I guess. Saw the promos tonight while flipping through channels.....

Actually, there are great stories in pawn stores, but getting people to tell them is another matter. Too much heartache involved to expect folks to just open up.

No doubt they'll skip all the dull ones, like the Antiques Roadshow......
  • Options
    carscars Posts: 1,904

<< <i>I set my dvr..... thanks >>

Same here
    Its all relative
  • Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    thanks for the heads up. ill check it out.
  • Options
    What a pile of crap. I have yet to see a pawn shop that has a shred of ethics. The ones I have worked with on scrap (making 1% on their lots for handling them) continually begged for cash instead of checks (hmmm.) which they didnt get and generally paid just a skosh over cash for gold on scrap (like $8 per gram on 14k). Their coin buying is absolutely attrocious also as most are paying around 4x face on 90%. They claim its due to their licensing and holding times, but they always buy coins on an outright purchase and skirt their licencing requirements here. I know since most in the area flip their stuff to me same day. I guess I shouldnt do business with them, but if I dont someone else will. What they are doing is not illegal the way its done, just kind of shady. I hope this show doesnt glorify these twits.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to routinely look thru proof sets at pawn shops for cameos and varieities. Never found anything of great value - it can't be that the pawn shop owners know what to look for. It is more likely that they hold sets for a dealer who cherries out the nice stuff.

Anyway, I once tried to purchase a few sets with some minor cameos. The owner priced them at over ask! I had my grey sheet out and he had his Trends out. Needless to say, I counter offered at bid. When my counter offer was refused, I put the sets back in the box and left - never to return.

l look forward to the TV show - should be good for a few laughs.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    carscars Posts: 1,904
    So did anyone watch this yet? I bet you didn't know a little CC on back of a silver dollar is the difference between a $50 coin & a $500 coin lmao. Also loved how they put them in a jar and dumped em out on the desk for dude to look through them. Funny stuff image
    Its all relative
  • Options
    It was funny. Watched 2x just to see if I could see then date. If they were going to sell it for $50, imagine what they paid for it!
  • Options
    When i was in Vegas i went to this PAWN SHOP. I took in a 1914d buff in AU, 1921s buff in VF, and a 1914d penny. The fat guy with black hair told me that the coin market in Vegas in down and that the coins i had are common date stuff. What a bunch of rip off's. Must be nice to be on TV and rip people and get paid for re-saleing the stuff they buy and from the TV people.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    I'm watching it right now! They just mentioned CC dollars...had what could have been an unc one...or a cleaned one...and wanted $500 for it! Didn't mention the date...ahh, pawn shops. That being said, it's sort of a cool show.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    Hopefully the next one will have more coins.

They seemed goofy on the CC dollar.
    Like anything they see a CC on is $500.... I'd be getting the magnet out image

The other funny part was his watch guy cleaned up the Rolex watch "like factory" then he told the customer it was like that from the factory and got his 5K out of it.

LOL.... image
    Ed
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pawn Shops have a pretty bad reputation and in many instances it is deserved. what strikes me as odd is that they serve a useful purpose when people use them the way they were originally conceived. having worked in a Pawn Shop i can tell you that when they are used for a short term collateralized loan by people who know what they're doing there aren't any problems. it's when people come in and want a "close to actual value" loan on an item that's 15 years old, doesn't work properly, isn't complete/missing parts or is difficult to value that the problems start.

just like a coin dealer who is overstocked with unmoveable inventory a Pawn Shop will offer low prices for stuff they may sit on for many, many years. in that regard it is the better proprieters who know how to market that tend to run the better shops. the image is changing, but just like the opinion that all coin dealers are rip offs, so it goes with Pawn Shops. we had/have all types of customers, from the down-and-outs, thieves and well-to-do to those who we see on a one time basis and those who are regulars or seasonal. the smart customers always know what they have, how much it's worth and how long it'll be till they redeem.

believe it or not, there is stuff in our shop that was an original loan of several hundred dollars well over 10 years ago. why people pawn an item and then pay double or triple its value over a long period and eventually forfiet is a mystery to me. it happens more then i'd like to say.

to repeat myself, a Pawn Shop is for short term collateralized loans, and most people don't understand that. to that end, much of the criticism is the fault of the customers. i could tell stories, but you'd probably not like to hear them.
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I used to routinely look thru proof sets at pawn shops for cameos and varieities. Never found anything of great value - it can't be that the pawn shop owners know what to look for. It is more likely that they hold sets for a dealer who cherries out the nice stuff.

Anyway, I once tried to purchase a few sets with some minor cameos. The owner priced them at over ask! I had my grey sheet out and he had his Trends out. Needless to say, I counter offered at bid. When my counter offer was refused, I put the sets back in the box and left - never to return.

l look forward to the TV show - should be good for a few laughs. >>

How generous of you to offer bid for something that is clearly a premium item vs. the generic. And had you found a DCAM coin in there I am sure you would be touting your rip. Poor form.
  • Options
    tmcsr69tmcsr69 Posts: 1,307
    Very good explanation Keets.
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I especially liked the part where the old man indicated that Morgan Dollars were minted in Charlotte for a brief time... what a load!
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Keets is exactly correct. Nice way of saying it accuratly and concise.

If you build a relationship with a Pawnshop, it is benificial. I have never done coins, but as a guitar collector, I have cherried some great guitars. If they know your are serious, they will even call you for advise and value information. There are 2 guitars in my accoustic collection that were as Keets described, pawned then interest payments for years, then let go. The owner had them for free, I got them for a song ( pun intended) a 60's vintage Martin D-28 and Gibson Hummingbird, both top notch collectibles.

Back on topic, I freakin forgot to watch the show, lol. Will not miss it this weekend tho, I set a reminder on my TV.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    a more interesting show may be along the lines of someone dressed as a little old lady, with a hidden camera ..... looking like the proverbial sheep, then we can watch as the wolves do thier thing.
  • Options

<< <i>Morgan Dollars were minted in Charlotte for a brief time... >>

And he said he knew facts of every mint. LOL
    Ed
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would guess not many people pawn coins worth over a $1000 >>

.......you must not know any desperate people.image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file