Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PWCC certified 1981 Topps Montana PSA 9 goes for $1742.

This has got to be a new record for a PSA 9 Montana rookie:

link to auction

Comments

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    That card is the Godiva of chocolates.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Looks like his other 4 hovered between $700-770 and this one shot the moon. It does look good.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The power of the certificate!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Wow that's Three times the average price of this card.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    A very sharp card and a nice 9
    But I think the reverse centering (off-center both directions), would keep it a 9 if the buyer hoped for a bump.
  • Options
    Not gonna lie, that has a chance to bump.....the reverse seems to be within recent tolerances for some other PSa 10's I have seen.
  • Options
    Anyone know the statistics on successful bump reviews rate?
    I'm thinking less than 5%.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not gonna lie, that has a chance to bump.....the reverse seems to be within recent tolerances for some other PSa 10's I have seen. >>

Agreed.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>Not gonna lie, that has a chance to bump.....the reverse seems to be within recent tolerances for some other PSa 10's I have seen. >>

If it was a common, maybe. "THE" card of this set, zero chance.
  • Options
    StamkosFanStamkosFan Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    Sweet card. The centering on the back and that dot under Manhattan Beach?
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

If it was a common, maybe. "THE" card of this set, zero chance. >>

I have seen a number of highly scrutinized cards like the Montana with poor back centering in 10 slabs. I think if the buyer cracks and subs this card over and over there is a decent chance it bumps.
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Seems like the right edge (by his wrist band) has a few minor notches in the edge - I assume that is why it is a 9 and not the reverse centering?
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    Anyone know the statistics on successful bump reviews rate?
    ===> trying for a bump ( and life too ) is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're going to get.
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭
    To each their own but I am sure you could have found another card with the same chances for less then half.
    I actually hate the top to bottom centering on that one and if it was me I would not have added the sticker to it.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To each their own but I am sure you could have found another card with the same chances for less then half.
    I actually hate the top to bottom centering on that one and if it was me I would not have added the sticker to it. >>

I understand what you're saying, but the top/bottom centering is only fractionally off, and barely noticeable. Without that very slight centering shift, it's probably a 10, right? 9's are not perfect, there has to be something wrong with them somewhere? This 9 looks pretty darn good to me, worthy of a sticker IMO.
    Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone know the statistics on successful bump reviews rate?
    ===> trying for a bump ( and life too ) is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're going to get. >>

But if you eat the whole box in an eating competition you are very likely going to be sick! image
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    But if you eat the whole box in an eating competition you are very likely going to be sick!
    ==> not if u train properly
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But if you eat the whole box in an eating competition you are very likely going to be sick!
    ==> not if u train properly >>

Probstein loves chocolate is the lesson here.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eye popping color...worthy of the high end sticker.
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    Nice montana but back centering keeps it a 9.
  • Options

<< <i>To each their own but I am sure you could have found another card with the same chances for less then half.
    I actually hate the top to bottom centering on that one and if it was me I would not have added the sticker to it. >>

The top to bottom centering is what kept me from going for it. It's a nice card, but to me it wasn't worth the extra juice.