Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Another slum22 thread... click here if you like Anthony Davis (UK not USC) -- Update with scans 10/2

It was fun for me to post my Andrew Luck collection and I thought I would do the same with my Anthony Davis collection. I will continue to add updates as I pick up more of his cards over time. I think he has tremendous potential and feel like he plays basketball the right way. Like Luck, he seems to do and say the right things on and off the court. I know we are only a little more than 1/4 of the way into the season but he is on pace to put up the highest PER in a single season ever (better than MJ's best, Lebron's best, Shaq's best, etc.). Even if he doesn't finish there that is amazing given that he should be a senior at Kentucky right now. Anyway, I have been lucky to get a number of these cards before this season started as a number of his cards have seen some sizable jumps this season as more people catch on to his great play. Hopefully, I can add some more of his cards before they go any higher. I have some cards at PSA right now that I hope will come back as 10's. As recently as this summer, finding his cards in 10 was a challenge as there were just not a lot of them submitted. I don't think his cards, like most modern cards are particularly condition sensitive, so it is likely just more a lack of submissions. 4SC doesn't have a single Anthony Davis card yet. As they see his popularity and the values of his cards rise, I imagine the pop reports on him will increase. Last time I checked he didn't even have a player registry set on PSA yet. Anyway, here is the start of my Unibrow collection. Thanks for reading and looking.

Steve

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Very impressive Steve. Enjoy them.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Crap, I thought this was about Anthony Davis from USC, robbed of the 1974 Heisman trophy as votes were due before his last regular season game against ND

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Doug, thanks. Love your auto thread. It is an inspiration for my player threads.

JMoran19--Sorry for the tease! Thanks for looking at the thread. I fixed the sideways scans at least. Don't know why my pics are doing that lately when I load them from Photobucket.
    Steve
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    I had no clue what PER is so I looked it up. I still have no idea what PER is.
  • Options
    I love this guy's game! Nice collection! You should start a player registry for him, he's certainly deserving.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Agreed - he's a monster. Fun to watch!
  • Options
    I don't like Anthony Davis.

I just clicked on the thread to show you're not the boss of me.

Snorto~

P.S. That's a solid little collection you're putting together for high end Davis cards. image
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    That cat can ball. But can he make pancakes?
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    jmoran19, I thought the exact same thing, we must be similar in age image

slum22, keep the threads coming, very cool stuff.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't like Anthony Davis.

I just clicked on the thread to show you're not the boss of me.

Snorto~

P.S. That's a solid little collection you're putting together for high end Davis cards. image >>

Snorto--This made me laughimage

Dan, Aaron and TNP777--Thanks and nice to see there are some guys on here who appreciate the new Anthony Davis.

detroitfan2--I forgot about the first Anthony Davis. He was a monster in his own right too! A little before my time though.

Steve
  • Options
    Im sold! i want to own some PSA 10 RCs now! LOL
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being a UK fan, I am very impressed with those cards. Great collection.

Shane

• Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    I thought this thread was asking me if I liked Anthony. His unibrow is pretty cool.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Anthony is down right Wally Moonish ....except he is not a common
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Crap, I thought this was about Anthony Davis from USC, robbed of the 1974 Heisman trophy as votes were due before his last regular season game against ND

image >>

+1

Steve
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Impressive. Thanks for sharing. Please continue.

He's making the unibrow cool. Somewhat
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    any additions? image
  • Options
    Eric--Ask and you shall receive. I have been pretty busy of late, so I haven't had a chance to update the thread recently. I haven't picked up any new already graded PSA 10 Anthony Davis cards since my last post, most of the PSA 10's that have shown up on eBay, I already have or are overpriced BIN's. I have picked up a number of raw cards for him and I hope to submit some of them myself here pretty soon. In fact, I have a batch in CA right now as part of the Jan group sub Mknez put together so hopefully I will have some new PSA 10's to share soon. In the meantime, I just got back 4 cards from the Oct group sub Blee1 put together. I am happy with the results as I hit 10's on 3 and a 9 on the other. I am hoping to get the PSA 9 updated to a 10 in a future sub but in the meantime it can be a placeholder in the collection. I have updated the original post with the scan below too, so that all the cards can be viewed at once. As always thanks everyone for looking. Also, I failed to respond to some replies to the thread earlier. My apologies:

FrankHardy--Good luck to your Cats this year. They are fun to watch. I am rooting for them to run the table. I always root for greatness. Coach Cal gets a bad wrap by a lot of people looking to take shots at the guy at the top. All I know is his teams play hard and he gets his players to the next level (which is what the kids want).

Davis and Bishop--Davis has embraced his unibrowimage He is doing for the unibrow what James Harden has done for the beard. Fear the Brow!

SDSportsFan--Sorry for the confusionimage USC's Anthony Davis has some company and competition these days for the attention with his name. Does SD stand for San Diego?

Without further ado, my latest additions:
    Steve
  • Options
    LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

I've had a difficult time finding his graded stuff on eBay
  • Options
    Eric, I know what you mean. PSA 10 and quad 9.5 BGS AD cards are tough to find. Even though his Pelicans are going down to my Warriors, he is putting on a great show. Anyway, here are the results of my last couple subs and a couple other pick ups. It is tough to find a lot of his cards in PSA 10, so I have been trying to sub for ones I can't find on eBay.

As always thanks for looking and the full collection is in the first thread.

Some words on my latest pick ups: The Crusade I already had in 10 but nice to sub my own. The All Panini was an eBay pick up. I forget about the Brilliance cards. They could have been eBay pick ups but I have ripped a lot of Brilliance with my son and I think these might be from some of these rips.

I know a lot of guys don't like the "shiny" new stuff. But, I love the Marquee card (so bummed it got a 9) and the Crusade Blue (refractor type) cards. The Intrigue is sort of bland to me but I was still hoping for a 10 on it.

Picked up the auto card in the last PWCC auction. Always nice to add an Auto 10 to the collection. The Immaculate jersey is sweet and is my first jersey card 10. Bummed the Brilliance Jersey couldn't garner a 10 and the 2013 Prizm is a joke as a 9. It is probably the least valuable card of his I have, so whatever, but there is not a flaw on that card.
    Steve
  • Options
    OOOOhhhohohohohhohhhoohhhhh ho wi LOVE this thread! image

is that an EXTRA Crusade PSA 10? image
  • Options
    Nice! The rookie Davis auto looks like an in inverted 61 fleer with that old school BSK pose. I like it.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    Always great to see updates to this thread!
  • Options
    Eric--Nice eye! Yes, there is an extra Crusade as well as an extra Crusade Blue 10. I also have second Panini base and Brilliance Base 10's as results from my last sub. I have 20 different RC's in 10 as well as a Patch 10 and 6 Auto RC 10's. I am slowing down on auto RC's because his cards sky rocketed this season. I am still looking to add as many base and insert RCs as possible to my 10 collection.

Tim--I didn't notice the design of the Panini Auto RC. It does strike a resemblance to the 61 BK set. Probably why I subconsciously liked it so muchimage

Dan--Thanks for the kind words. No way to sneak Tippet into this one, but thanks for looking anyway.

I have another group of Anthony Davis cards out in this month's group sub (thanks to Stooge/Paul for letting me jump aboard his sub) so wish me luck on some more 10's popping soon!
    Steve
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    nice job--awesome autographs!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Crap, I thought this was about Anthony Davis from USC, robbed of the 1974 Heisman trophy as votes were due before his last regular season game against ND

image >>

I was thinking the same thing!
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Hey, perk!

What ever became of Ms Sterger? Any chance you can update her "assets" for us?

Is she getting hotter with age?

Nick
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Hey, perk!

What ever became of Ms Sterger? Any chance you can update her "assets" for us?

Is she getting hotter with age?

Nick >>

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Ok. I'm not complaining, but it seems like this thread has taken a left turn. To get us back on track, I just put in a request for PSA to start an Anthony Davis Player Set. Hard to believe, but as far as I can tell there is no Anthony Davis registry set as of now. Hopefully, I entered my request correctly and by the time next season starts there will be a player set for him.
    Steve
  • Options
    Hi Steve, did you ask for both master and basic?

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    I do find it hard to believe there's not a Davis registry. Good luck Steve!
  • Options
    Tim,

I didn't specify, but I think it will end up being Master as 2 of the cards I gave them cert numbers for were inserts. I am relatively new to the player registry thing but I believe inserts would not be accepted for basic sets. I suppose I could ask them to start a basic one too. What I would like to do is have them start a RC only Master set but I don't know if they do this.
    Steve
  • Options
    You are correct that a basic set would not include inserts. Even some brands of base cards wouldn't be included.
  • Options
    Still waiting for the Anthony Davis player registry set to come out. In the meantime, I was able to add a lot of PSA 10's to the mix with my latest group sub. Very happy with the grades overall. Of course I wish all those 9's would have been 10's but I batted over 75% on this sub and I will take it, especially since many of the higher dollar cards hit for me. Anyway here are the cards with a little commentary.

First up, the 9's. I am bummed on the Spellbound because I need that card in 10 for my Spellbound set. I had a couple 10's of the base Brilliance and added two more 10's on this sub, besides the 9 here, so this wasn't too heartbreaking. It does not seem to be too tough to identify 10's for. The Black Friday 9 and the Intriguing Players 9 are also disappointing because I don't have either of them in 10 yet. I subbed another Intriguing player card in a previous sub and it also got a 9, so it seems to be a little tougher to pull a gem on. Not pictured is a Prizm USA PSA 9 card that has already found a new home on the boardsimage

And onto the 10's! The Prizm USA cards are about my favorite cards in the sub. I don't know the exact print run on them but they seem to be a pretty tough insert. I believe there are 65 regular Prizm 10's on the pop report including my 2 pictured to the right and only 4 Prizm USA 10's on the pop report. This seems to match eBay as at any time there seem to be countless more of the base Prizm cards vs the USA cards. The base Prizm 10's in this sub are a vindication as they were cracked out of 9 holders from a previous visit at Newport.

The Past and Present Redemption is another very tough card and is currently a 1/1 as a 10. The Spellbound insert set is my favorite insert series for all of 2012. Happy to self submit 2/5 of the set here. Still need 3 more letters.

Some more pretty tough cards. I really like the clean look of these cards. I wish the Immaculate picture of Davis was a little better but I do like the quad patch (another 1/1). The Panini Signatures are all numbered to /25. I wish I would have got 10's of each card with the 9 on a double, but oh well, like I tell my son "you get what you get..."

More 10's. I now have four 10's each of these cards including these. I will probably keep the newly holdered cards and sell of the older slabs I have. The Crusade seems like a pretty easy 10 as I am now 4/4 submitting those. The Brilliance I believe I am 4/5 on 10's sending those in.

As always, if you made it this far, thanks for looking. All the scans will be added to the original post to show all the cards in the collection now.

Steve
  • Options
    Somehow I missed the update to this thread. Great stuff! I think the quad relic is my favorite, but it's hard to choose just one. Please link your registry once it goes online. Thanks Steve!
  • Options
    I started a Steph Curry thread today to kick off the season with my Warriors playing the Pelicans. I will be sending 14 cards out for this month's group sub with a lot of cards I don't have 10's of yet, so I have my fingers crossed to get a kind grader. Here are a couple of my favorite cards that I don't have 10's of yet. I got decent prices (I think) on them in BGS 9.5 holders so they will serve as placeholders until I can get PSA Gems. I have the Swirlorama in PSA 9 and I think it is one of my favorite AD card designs. The Starburst is a sneaky tough/rare insert.

Steve
  • Options
    Sick collection.
    Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.