Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is there any place for OJ in a collection?

How do you feel about having OJ cards in your collection?

He's a scumbag murderer, no doubt.

Also a Heisman winner and first to 2,000 rushing yards in a season.

Is there any place for OJ in a collection?

I ask because I bought this PSA 1 for 9.99 as it goes well in my low grade collection...but I don't know how I feel about owning an OJ card.

Thanks in advance!

edit to add updated picture:

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have no issues as a collector~plenty of vile men have played professional sports, but I don't equate collecting their cards as supporting their conduct.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    No problem at all. You're collecting the football player.
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    I have 4 OJ's in my collection. The 1970 Topps OJ. I'm building the set. And 3 N172 Old Judge cards. Three of the same player in different poses. Do I like Simpson ? No. Like Mullins5 said. "He's a scumbag murderer, no doubt." A guy who finnally got what he deserved.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭✭
    It all depends on why you're collecting the item/how you look at it. If I were building a 1970 football set, OJ is part of it, so must be included. Not particularly interested in getting any autos of him, etc. though. image
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patrick that is a nice looking 1.

He was a great football player and that is what the card represents.

There are plenty of guys in my wrestling set that have horrible backgrounds but they are still part of the set so I have no problem collecting them. Would I want to meet them? No.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I never have or ever will look at any athlete as a "Hero" or anyone that I look up to because I dont know them on a personal level, that being said I couldnt care less about buying someones card that has done bad things.

Collect who and what you like!
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally I never have or ever will look at any athlete as a "Hero" or anyone that I look up to because I dont know them on a personal level, that being said I couldnt care less about buying someones card that has done bad things.

Collect who and what you like! >>

Well said Paul! I feel the same way image
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    You are the only one that can determine if it's ok for you or not. We all have beliefs all over the spectrum but probably none of us have the exact same beliefs as you and your family.

Personally, if I collected football HOF'ers, I wouldn't have a problem with it whatsoever. If I displayed historical figures, I wouldn't have a problem with displaying Hitler or Osama Bin Laden if I had them. I do display Presidents, and it doesn't matter to me one iota if they are Republican, Democratic, or anything else, or if they made decisions I don't condone or agree with.

The people that know me personally know that I collect autographs, and they know that just because I display an autograph of someone, doesn't mean that I share that person's belief system or values or lack of values.

Your mileage may vary, and I'll go out on a limb and say that if you are soliciting opinions as to whether there is a place for OJ in your collection than you might not be comfortable with it and there are SO many other players that it might not fit or might make you uncomfortable in the long run.

AAttractive card by the way

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Personally I never have or ever will look at any athlete as a "Hero" or anyone that I look up to because I dont know them on a personal level, that being said I couldnt care less about buying someones card that has done bad things.

Well said Paul! I feel the same way image >>

You HAVE TO feel that way. You're a Cowboys fan! image
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Well said Paul! I feel the same way image >>

You HAVE TO feel that way. You're a Cowboys fan! image >>

Ok that was awesome LMAO!
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    If we were to apply such logic to our collections, many would be absent some of the greatest names in history for a myriad of transgressions...

• Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I don't really see a problem with it.

I did however tear up a ray caruth card recently though.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    if you need reassurance from this bunch, perhaps you should collect only pictures of nuns.
  • Options

<< <i>if you need reassurance from this bunch, perhaps you should collect only pictures of nuns. >>

I have a 1/1 relic card of Mother Teresa, with a swatch of mass-worn habit.
  • Options
    OJ's 1970 Topps RC is currently undervalued. Ditto with his 1970 Super Glossy.

One of the greatest football players of all-time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqd_XZYkZ70
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    OJ was one of the best RB ever so a true great player on the field and as vile as they come. I do think it's funny that he ended up in jail taking his own things back.
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    My friends always laugh at me that my two favorite player of my youth were OJ and Pete Rose...boy, I know how to pick them. I take the NFL HOF standards you judge a player by how he played on the field and nothing else. I have fond memories of getting up early on a Dec. morning and watching OJ go over 2000 yards...that is a good memory and that is what I think of when I see OJ cards. For Pete, I loved the Reds as a kids because they were good and on tv a lot. In Seattle, at that time, we didn't have a MLB team.
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    No problem at all - he fits right in.

True Crime cards
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, if your collecting him for the great player that he was and not as a role model, then I see nothing wrong. As others have said collect what you like and makes you happy.

Great looking PSA 1, by the way.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I kept my Ed Bouche cards
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

Chris Rock said it best when he said:
    "If O.J. wasn't famous, he'd be in jail right now. If O.J. drove a bus, he wouldn't even be O.J. He'd be Orenthal the Bus Driving Murderer."
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    There are many other scumbags, and probably a few murderers, in your collection so Orinthal is just one more. Ray Lewis? Aaron Hernandez? Plus, where would you draw the line? Ron Leflore was a convicted felon but his story was so great. Etc....
  • Options
    FWIW Denny McLain and Doc Gooden are criminals who were just super awesome, nice and outgoing when I met them and I'm happy to have had the experience and to now own their autos.