Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Non sports box opinions wanted....Star Wars box bought

First off, I am a sports guy and know nothing of non sports cards. I was offered boxes of Star Wars 4th series, Charlie's Angels, Close Encounters and Grease. I inspected the packs and they look pretty good. Does anyone have opinions on how good any of these boxes are and what you would spend on them. I would prolly buy them and rip them looking for high grade cards. Any opinions appreciated
Currently working on 1970 Topps Hockey PSA 9 set

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything $300 or less on the Star Wars is a good buy, one recently sold for $360, but there's another BIN at $325 that hasn't. Not sure on any of the others, but $30-50 each would be reasonable.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Check out BBCE and he has many of those packs at which point you can do some dirty math.

That at least tells you a fair price, but not sure how many people are buying Close Encounters packs.

I've got a similar issue. Boxes of Kotter, Encounters, MASH, Rocky 2, Jaws 3, I think there's a 3s Company too. I just don't know what to offer or how easy they'd be to unload. My guy wants 85 for the Kotter box, and Steve sells for 5 each. Just not sure they're very liquid.

If willing to open, that's another ball game. That's when I start looking at the price of my fun factor.

I'll be interested to know what you do, and if you buy, what the fair price was, assuming you don't mind sharing.

Good Luck.
    Jim

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Kotter boxes are on sale and D at A for 99 bucks. Check out the pop report on these. 430 cards subbed and only 4 10s
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    It is also quite unlikely that anyone would tamper with these packs. Not like sports cards. Of course there is always that small chance. If I had room, I would consider collecting boxes of that stuff.
  • Options

<< <i>It is also quite unlikely that anyone would tamper with these packs. Not like sports cards. Of course there is always that small chance. If I had room, I would consider collecting boxes of that stuff. >>

With the exception of Star Wars, I would agree. A prior board member was one of the many resealing this stuff.

ETA: Link
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's demand. If you price them competitively they would sell. I bought a lot of Close Encounters from Steve.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Close Encounters have 1971 Topps-like black borders, which would make them a fun, affordable vintage high grade set build. though not very popular, I think they are a bargain.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    I'm a Mattingly/Buehrle registry collector but have bought some non-sports in the past two years. GPK, GI Joe and He-Man. The last of which I will probably rebuy and break to submit coolest looking cards.
  • Options
    or246or246 Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I will definitely be trying to pick up the Star Wars box. I was also thinking the Charlie's Angels because I haven't seen those packs at any of the flea markets are shows I have been to.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's at all clear that BBCE has any expertise on non-sports packs. I wouldn't assume their pricing reflects anything meaningful.
  • Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It is also quite unlikely that anyone would tamper with these packs. Not like sports cards. Of course there is always that small chance. If I had room, I would consider collecting boxes of that stuff. >>

With the exception of Star Wars, I would agree. A prior board member was one of the many resealing this stuff.

ETA: Link >>

I dont normally look at the Non Sports forum so thanks for the link - incredible
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

ETA: Link >>

I dont normally look at the Non Sports forum so thanks for the link - incredible >>

I think it's been linked to on this side of the forum previously as well, but never hurts in case someone missed it before image
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I have been selling non sport boxes for a friend recently and have learned what to look for and what to avoid. Charlies Angels depends on series as to the value, if I can remember the later series are harder to get. Star Wars are really hot right now, mint boxes can go as high as $500, but most are in the $300-$350 range. Close Encounters arent totally rare, but like has been mentioned, grading can be tough and the Grease is also pretty popular, I think BBCE had some not too long ago close to $50 a box.

The most important thing to remember is a that these non sport cards are like the baseball cards from that era. Most late 80's non sports are junk like 88 Donruss and the early 80's late 70's boxes are better in tact and not opened unless you plan on grading them. Sets of many of those products sell for considerably less than the box price (IE. 1983 Topps Baseball Wax Box is $225+, while the sets are under $40 most of the time)
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For wacky packages boxes, the break value is miniscule compared to the full box value. For example, a 4th series wax box would sell for between $2000-$3000, while the roughly 3 (most likely mid-grade) sets you would pull would be worth less than $300. The only wacky boxes possibly worth breaking are 15th or 16th series, where the white-back cards are more likely to be in mint shape and the value for the 16th sets (~$1500) justifies it.

The 1979/80 re-issue boxes, while much more affordable, yield sets that are close to worthless.
  • Options
    I ended up picking up the Star Wars box for a real good price ($125). I don't know how to post pictures or I would post a picture of the box and the packs. Everything looks really good except for a black marker spot on the front of the box. The question now is: Do I rip or save? For the price I picked it up for, a couple of 10s and I will be well ahead of the what I paid for it. A C-3PO "special" card and I would be happy to have opened the box. Any way to tell by a print run number or anything of the like whether the card would be in this set?
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The robot boner card is in series 4, which I believe is the box you bought. Whether or not you got an error box, there's no way to tell without opening the packs.

I would temper your expectations on pulling PSA 10 cards. I would be shocked if you pulled one PSA 10 from the box.
  • Options

<< <i>The robot boner card is in series 4, which I believe is the box you bought. Whether or not you got an error box, there's no way to tell without opening the packs.

I would temper your expectations on pulling PSA 10 cards. I would be shocked if you pulled one PSA 10 from the box. >>

I know the 10s are a crap shoot. The packs are in great shape, so if there is one in there it won't be dinged already. Just not sure whether to bust or not.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Good luck with your penis rip.
  • Options
    Nice price on the box.
    I'd leave it sealed. You can pick up a set if you want for less he. What you paid for the box.
    I've learned the hard way that I can always rip later but glad I kept packs sealed that I did.
    If you want to flip the box for a small profit PM me.
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone's replies. I have decided to put the box up for a while. I may rip it later, but for now it will remain intact.