Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1980-81 Topps Basketball card question

Hello Everyone,

I'm a newbie here and is getting back into collecting after about 25 years. I wanted to get serious about it and only start collecting graded cards and grade some of the cards that I kept over the years. I also wanted to start back into the hobby and get my sons interested because I loved it during my childhood. I have the Bird/Dr. J/ Magic card, but it has been separated. The cards seem to be in pretty good condition, but I was wondering if they are worth anything at all? I look forward to interacting / learning on the message boards, it seems like things have changed quite a bit....LOL. Thank you in advance for any help.

Mike

Focusing on Julius Erving cards 1972-87 for now

Comments

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Mike. To answer your question about separated 1980-81 basketball cards. Their worth in monetary terms is likely very minimal. In the current market the cards need to be intact, unseparated, to be worth a significant amount to most buyers out there. Still a cool card to have, even in its separated state.

I got back into collecting after a 20+ year hiatus myself about a year and a half ago. I am also introducing my young son to the joys of collecting. There are a lot of great people on the boards here and I think you'll find the interactions here enhance your enjoyment of the hobby. It is nice to have another basketball card collector on here (at least it seems like you are based on your post). Good luck with your collecting.
    Steve
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick response Steve....that was what I was thinking about the cards. I collected pretty much everything in the past, I kept a few things from my past. I'm not sure where I'm going to start first. I'm thinking 1980's basketball rookies or 1970's baseball rookies right now and then getting some current star cards for my kids. I'm excited to get back into collecting and interacting with people who love it. Thanks again for the quick response.

Mike

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have the Bird/Dr. J/ Magic card, but it has been separated. The cards seem to be in pretty good condition, but I was wondering if they are worth anything at all? >>

A separated card recently sold on ebay for $12.50.
  • Options
    Cool...thank you for the heads up, I saw one on there today for $40.00 - separated

Mike

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the 'revisiting my youth' club. I joined a few years ago and have done a world of damage since. Ironically, the first graded card I picked up on my return was the Bird/Magic PSA 9

By the way there are a lot of high grade cards you really can't go wrong investing in, and that's one of them!
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    LOL...thank you!!!!! Glad to be part of the club. I'm going to hold on to this until I can find a graded one to fit my budget.

Mike

• Options
    Todd (ClockworkAngel) is right. There's lots of great stuff out there nowadays. It is amazing, you will see cards graded PSA 9 Mint for less than what raw NM cards would sell for back when you collected before. Third party grading, PSA, BGS, SGC, etc. really changed the economics of collecting in a lot of ways. Definitely do your research and you will find lots of great cards to buy for your collection. Depending on what you are buying your collection can also act as a fun sort of savings account as you can largely sell off things relatively easily nowadays thanks to the internet (eBay, the Buy/Sell/trade forum here and other outlets). The key for this to work is to know what a good value is on the buy side.
    Steve
  • Options
    Thank you for the info....I feel like I need to learn this stuff all over again...LOL. Now, do you only buy graded cards or do you buy raw cards and then send them in to get graded?

Mike

• Options
    This is a matter of opinion and it depends on how you derive enjoyment from the hobby. I buy mostly graded cards now. I believe that graded cards provide easier sales if I decide to sell a part of my collection in the future. I have submitted a few cards and it can definitely be fun and profitable to turn a raw card found in your collection or on eBay into a high grade PSA or BGS card. Just be careful, most people overestimate the grades of their cards, especially on their first submissions, which can make the process a waste of money and an emotional downer too. For the most part I buy already graded cards as in most cases that is the easiest and cheapest way for me to acquire the cards I want. A piece of advice would be to buy some PSA commons in the sets you are interested in the grades you are interested in pursuing this way you can get an idea of what to look for if you choose to submit.
    Steve
  • Options
    Cool...thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

Mike

• Options
    BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭

<< <i>Cool...thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. >>

I also re-entered the hobby after a 20yr or so break. My mother didn't throw my cards away.I was around for the early 80's "holiday inn" style shows and the card shop on every street corner and multiple shows every weekend of the 90's. it's quite different now a days but still very enjoyable.You may want to consider or at least take a look at VintageCardPrices.com which has been extremely helpful to me as a guide in determining what a particular graded card might be worth
    This board is also helpful and at times very entertaining. Some interesting characters lurking here.
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • Options
    Welcome aboard! You and I are among numerous board members sharing their love of the hobby with their sons. Mine are 11 and 8 years old and love collecting. If you're so inclined, you can search for my Cooperstown thread and see the Pedro Martinez RC that my oldest boy was lucky enough to get signed in person.
  • Options
    Thank you both, I really appreciate it!!!! I will check out the Vintage Cards website, it sounds like a good place to start. I'm def going to check out the Pedro RC!!!!

Mike

• Options
    Funny, I was thinking back to one of the biggest mistakes I ever made collecting. I remember being in middle school and it was around the time that the 1986 Fleer basketball set came out. I had purchased some Star cards, I think is was the 1986 Court Kings and the Kareem set. The place I bought the cards from had the 86 Fleer basketball set for $4.95. I was going to buy it, but forgot to do it. I saw the price of that set recently and it made me sick....what a huge missed opportunity!!!!! LOL...I guess you live and learn...the hard way!!!!

Mike