Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA 10 1992 Fleer Rookie Sensations Frank Thomas

This is a beautiful card and was a pop 0 forever (it recently went up to a pop of 2), as it is near impossible to find one with nice centering, no blue border chips and without imperfections in the foil stamping. One showed up on ebay in the last week or so (although for some reason it is no longer showing up in a search for it- I tried both active and completed listings).

The 1992 Fleer jumbo boxes that yield these inserts are actually pretty scarce as well and are undervalued IMO.

Comments

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a chance to buy a sealed jumbo box for $30 last month and passed. Did I screw the pooch?
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Had a chance to buy a sealed jumbo box for $30 last month and passed. Did I screw the pooch? >>

There are only a few boxes available on ebay...I believe they might all be from DAcardworld and priced at $25.00 with free shipping. Not sure if they would be cheaper from their website without the free shipping.
  • Options
    I've cracked probably around 30 of these over the years and pulled only a couple Frank's. One was a 9 and it sold for 150. Any of the rookie sensations are brutal. None of what I pulled were worthy of a 10, so yeah, they're tough no doubt. I'd be interested in buying a 10 for sure if it came up for sale
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm starting to have flashbacks of the hundreds of 1990's inserts I had at one time. I ended up selling them for a few bucks when I thought the insert craze was over.

Those inserts were very tough pulls considering the thousands, probably hundreds of thousand, of boxes produced of any one product. I remember when I first pulled an Elite insert numbered to 10,000. I felt like the luckiest guy in the hobby!

Mike
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Nicest copy I own...I want to submit a 10 one day. This might have had a shot if not for that nick on the top left.

Here's a card that I'm hoping might change the population report to a pop one 10. Long shot, but it falls in specs...best I've ever found.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Those were, and still are, just beautiful cards. I bought a few boxes around Christmas chasing the Thomas card. No luck. Did get Ivan Rodriguez and Bagwell, but too many issues to sub.

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Isn't the 1992 Fleer All-Stars insert of Frank Thomas [significantly] harder....?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Isn't the 1992 Fleer All-Stars insert of Frank Thomas [significantly] harder....? >>

As mentioned, most of the early solid-color bordered Fleer inserts are "tough" in high grade. You have only 2 out of 103 submitted of the Rookie Sensations card graded a PSA 10 vs. 1 out of 8 of the All Star card graded a PSA 10. The All Star card isn't any more scarce in raw form and the regular wax boxes which yield the All Stars are plentiful on ebay, while the Jumbo boxes which yield the Rookie Sensations are very scarce. Also, I think the Rookie Sensations have always been very popular cards.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The jumbo boxes are more difficult to find than the regular wax boxes but they're not scarce. I've been buying them for the past year and have never paid retail for one delivered.

Those Rookie Sensations cards are an absolute b1tch though. I doubt I've ever pulled one that would grade a 9.