Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1966 Topps Box Topper with Koufax Value?

Not sure if box topper is proper description. Couple wrinkles looking for value

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    I believe that's a salesman's sample. Don Mossi has to reduce the value because he fugly.

EDIT: Just a semi random guess, but I would say $500 or so even with a crease because it's Koufax.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Salesman sample?
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're listed in Beckett as an Advertising Panel (#1) @ $250 NM. There's also a #2 featuring Jim Lonborg/Howie Koplitz/Luis Aparicio listed @ $100 NM. Nothing else in the set description that's not obvious by your pics:

This panel was issued to preview the 1966 Topps baseball set. As is traditional for these panels, they were issued in three card strips. The back of these inserts features information on the upcoming "rub-off" insert set
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe that's a salesman's sample. Don Mossi has to reduce the value because he fugly. >>

Mossi should increase the value because he makes others feel better about themselves.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don Mossi has to reduce the value because he fugly.

>>

And THAT is being generous.

Perhaps whoever came up with the "One of These Things Is Not Like the Others" song from Sesame Street had memories of his father's salesman sample in his mid at the time?

It is a really cool piece, primarily from an historical standpoint. Whoever created the "Sales Sheet" thread should add these to it. Really awesome.

That thread belongs in the eye candy hall of fame along with Mojorob's, the postcard thread and (IMHO), the hockey card pick-up thread. I know there are few more (Mustache, Glasses, Cars in the background) too.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That piece is incredible!

In June of this year Mile High had one sell for $3600.

This one has Koufax on the strip. Who knows?

I'm sure there's plenty of guys out there who would be happy to snatch that sucker up?
    Mike
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That piece is incredible!

In June of this year Mile High had one sell for $3600.

This one has Koufax on the strip. Who knows?

I'm sure there's plenty of guys out there who would be happy to snatch that sucker up? >>

I guess I'd take as many as I could get at Beckett prices then image Normally it's the other way around and I wouldn't pay anything near the guide price for raw.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>That piece is incredible!
    In June of this year Mile High had one sell for $3600. >>

HOLY CRAP!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭
    I assume, they took the regular front plates and created a plate with 44 "insert" adds for the back (assumes a 132 card standard size plate). Assuming these were made in advance of final distribution, would it be safe to assume the fronts were from proof sheets? Could there be salesman sample fronts that are different than the final card? Did Topps proof the cards all at once, or at least the first few series? I wonder if any of the salesman samples show cards from series 2 forward. The highest number from the two strips shown (this and the auction) is Koufax at 100.
  • Options
    CounselorCounselor Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭
    I was able to buy from dealer today. For sale on BST boards

Thanks
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    As stated, that is a Topps Salesman panel. They were issued as either a 3 card (most common), 4 card ('56) or 8 card ('60) panel by Topps from '52-'67, and by Bowman in '54 and '55.
    They recently had a huge spike in auction prices as a couple of people, myself included, were pursuing a run of them. That seems to have died down significantly since the National and recent sales are running about what the book states, as indicated by the last Mile High and last nites Legendary auctions. The '64 panel went for about $300 last nite.
    Once the prices started spiking there was a trend to call any 3 or 4 card panel a salesman sample, whether or not it had copy on the back. I've seen 3 card '53 Bowman strips called this, but have never seen any indication they actually were. Same with the very common '60 Fleer strips and '63 Fleer strips. IMO, if there isn't promotional copy on the back touting the upcoming issue it's not a salesman sample, just another uncut strip of cards.
    The panels themselves are fairly scarce, but not widely collected. Used by sales reps, most were probably tossed out minutes after they were handed to store owners.
    PSA has started slabbing them recently, but will only assign a grade of authentic, which I think is appropriate. They were often hand cut.
    Some years are much easier than others, but like anything else that is thinly traded a small find of these could totally change that. Panels that are cut into individual cards are worthless at this point.
    Prices are very volatile, and it comes down to how many people are pursuing them at any given point. I'm always interested in buying or trading for panels if anyone has any.
    Topps started included salesman samples (not real ones, but made to look like them) in their Heritage issue in '08. I guess once you get hooked on the real ones it carries into the reissue, and I'm always looking for those too. Once the set has been out a few months they are so worthless they don't even get listed on Sportlots.com or ebay anymore.

'55 Topps is supposed to have a '55 Topps doubleheader attached to it. They are most often found with this extra card pulled off, and curiously at this point PSA will slab the ones that have had the card removed but not slab the ones that are fully intact. '55's with the card removed typically sell for about $200-$250, the last one with the doubleheader attached sold for $8k.

Here's a bunch of mine, still need a couple for the full run

imageimage
    imageimage

imageimageimage
    imageimage

imageimageimageimage

imageimageimage

imageimage

Topps '52-54, '57-59, '61-67 are all 3 card strips
    Topps '55 is a 3 card panel with a '55 Doubleheader attached to the back
    Topps '56 is a 4 card panel.
    Topps '60 is either a 3 card strip or 8 card panel
    Bowman '54 is a 4 card panel with a diamond shaped sticker on the back
    Bowman '55 is a 3 card strip

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Anthony.

Don't have have a "sample" of the 63F BB set?

Thanx for sharing.
    Mike
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    it's a 3 card strip, not a salesman sample

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd think that common players would have some sort of minimal value to them at least and I'd venture to guess that if someone knew what they were looking at, it would warrant somewhere near a regular card price or more, especially if they are so tough to find.

I know I personally wouldn't dump a ton of money on one. However, being a Dodger fan, if I came upon a Snider cut from a sample panel, I would certainly like to have it if for nothing more than the uniqueness of it. It's kind of like the SI paper "cards" from those early editions. I have a few of the Dodger singles. I didn't pay much, but they are a fun oddball item. I imagine compared to the intact sheet, cut singles might appear worthless, but it seems someone is always willing to toss down the bucks for something older and unique regardless of condition.

<< <i>Panels that are cut into individual cards are worthless at this point.

imageimage
    >>

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very impressive >>

I agree! And I just learned something today as I've never seen these before. image