Quick Links:   Collectors Corner | PCGS | PSA | PSE | PSA/DNA | CU | Coinflation

Navigation:

FORUMS > SPORTS CARDS & MEMORABILIA FORUM [ REFRESH ]
Thread Title: SMR vs Ebay
Created On Tuesday September 10, 2013 7:44 AM
Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]

runningman

Tuesday September 10, 2013 7:44 AM

User is offline View thread in raw text format

So I've decided to move into football a little and buy some of the Steelers cards I remember from my youth. Not big money cards but just for fun. I'm looking at psa 8 for the most part and the first card I looked at was 1975 Topps Bradshaw. SMR is $16.00, most on ebay are much more about three times as much. Is this the norm? If so why is SMR so far off ? Thoughts?

Bottom

markj111
Collector

Tuesday September 10, 2013 7:57 AM

SMR is close to useless. Real world prices matter.

Bottom

Foo3112
Collector

Tuesday September 10, 2013 8:47 AM

SMR is close to useless

I wouldnt exactly say that. SMR is pretty good and I would say that a lot more people use that when bidding on ebay then say ... they use VCP or even know about it for that matter.

The only thing with SMR is that it gets a bit trickey once it gets into the 7.5 or 8.5's for those "rarer" vintage cards or low pops that dont show up too often. Best advise I can give is to check both SMR and eBay and then just decide what something is worth to you before entering your bid or making your purchase.

-------------------------
Always looking for Jose Canseco cards to add to my PC. Please PM me if you want to get rid of them.

Foo3112's Collection

Bottom

pdub1819
Collector

Tuesday September 10, 2013 8:53 AM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

I always look at completed listings to give myself a ballpark on how much I want to spend.

P-Dub's Set Registry

Bottom

Raulsmaster

Tuesday September 10, 2013 9:11 AM

I think useless is pretty close to accurate. Try getting a 1986 Topps Nolan Ryan PSA 10 for $220. You'd have to pay 3x-5x that if one should surface

It never leaves you...

Bottom

mrmint23
Collector

Tuesday September 10, 2013 9:46 AM

The best "guide" available.
VCP

Bottom

ClockworkAngel
Collector

Tuesday September 10, 2013 9:52 AM

<< SMR is close to useless

I wouldnt exactly say that. SMR is pretty good and I would say that a lot more people use that when bidding on ebay then say ... they use VCP or even know about it for that matter.
>>

Really? I very rarely see high end cards go for anything even close to SMR. I agree that it's useless at least for the premiere stuff....and I don't really get that. You'd think if anything SMR would want to embellish their prices to make PSA grades more desirable. It isn't good business to set prices so much lower than reality...

Check out my collection
Text

Bottom

larryallen73
Master Collector

Tuesday September 10, 2013 9:56 AM

SMR is a great guide for determining which cards are more in demand than others from a particular set. Beyond that not much value.

Loving this BigCrumbs.com... sign up and save money....
BIG CRUMBS LINK

Bottom

Foo3112
Collector

Tuesday September 10, 2013 9:57 AM

Clockwork, you only copied me the 1st half of what I wrote but then added your words like if you didnt agree.

It seems we agree based on the 2nd part of what I wrote which you didnt copy.

Always looking for Jose Canseco cards to add to my PC. Please PM me if you want to get rid of them.

Foo3112's Collection

Bottom

RyanAdmirer

Tuesday September 10, 2013 10:22 AM

<< Clockwork, you only copied me the 1st half of what I wrote but then added your words like if you didnt agree.

>>

I'm with you M. I was a bit confused but at the end I felt the agreement. And I would pretty much agree with both of you as well. I won't say I don't at least use or look at the SMR, but I do so knowing that for the most part I can't use it as a guide and instead must use the completed listings. I've always wondered why they are so low compared to reality when it comes to the more scarce cards.

I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!

Bottom

ClockworkAngel
Collector

Tuesday September 10, 2013 10:24 AM

<< Clockwork, you only copied me the 1st half of what I wrote but then added your words like if you didnt agree.

>>

You are absolutely right. I utilized my ADD to it's fullest and only read the 1st half of your post....thanks for the clarification

Check out my collection
Text

Bottom

gemint
Expert Collector

Tuesday September 10, 2013 11:39 AM

User is online View thread in raw text format

I've found that SMR is fairly accurate at the set level. Meaning if you are putting together a complete set, the SMR complete set price is a good ballpark number. At the individual card level, it's not so accurate. I find that many cards sell for well below SMR while 10%-20% sell for above to well above SMR. These end up pretty much offsetting each other, leaving the total set quote fairly accurate. If you use SMR to bid on high pop commons, you will typically overpay greatly for them (assuming they are BINs or you have another bidder doing the same). VCP is really the best guide as it has actual sales data. It doesn't capture retail transactions or some non eBay auction houses but it's probably better than any other tool out there.

auctions by gemint

Bottom

OcTrAdInG

Tuesday September 10, 2013 12:06 PM

<< I've found that SMR is fairly accurate at the set level. Meaning if you are putting together a complete set, the SMR complete set price is a good ballpark number. At the individual card level, it's not so accurate. I find that many cards sell for well below SMR while 10%-20% sell for above to well above SMR. These end up pretty much offsetting each other, leaving the total set quote fairly accurate. If you use SMR to bid on high pop commons, you will typically overpay greatly for them (assuming they are BINs or you have another bidder doing the same). VCP is really the best guide as it has actual sales data. It doesn't capture retail transactions or some non eBay auction houses but it's probably better than any other tool out there. >>

+1, especially in relation to pricing for complete sets. In my opinion, it's quite amazing, actually, to see how individual card values deviate dramatically from SMR, only to have complete set values trend back towards SMR. Print versions of SMR generally include disclaimers about the pricing of low-pop commons, and it's not all that strange to see pricing multiples (2X, 3X) for high-end and/or low-pop card transactions in the real world.

Bottom

runningman

Wednesday September 11, 2013 9:05 PM

Thanks for the feedback, does anyone have an opinion on the specific card I mentioned, the 1975 psa 8 Bradshaw ?

Bottom

Scarlem21

Thursday September 12, 2013 8:54 AM

The 1975 psa 8 Bradshaw is a truly wonderful card and if you could pick it up at $16 consider yourself lucky. The sky is the limit for a card like that, truly undervalued and should increase in value. A wonderful piece of cardboard history and a true find!

Bottom

itzagoner
Master Collector

Thursday September 12, 2013 9:04 AM

<< SMR is a great guide for determining which cards were perceived to be more attractive a month prior to publishing. Beyond that not much value. >>

well, it does have pretty pictures, no?

"I know this board has a tendency to sometimes go ballistic or act like two-day starved pirhana surrounding fresh meat flung into the water."
~DeutscherGeist~

Bottom

Dpeck100
Master Collector

Thursday September 12, 2013 9:10 AM

<<

<< SMR is a great guide for determining which cards were perceived to be more attractive a month prior to publishing. Beyond that not much value. >>

well, it does have pretty pictures, no?
>>

Yes LOL

Bottom

mrmint23
Collector

Thursday September 12, 2013 9:22 AM

<<

<<

well, it does have pretty Personal pictures, no?
>>

Yes LOL
>>

Fixed that for you Dpeck..LOL

Bottom

Dboneesq
Choose Your Title

Thursday September 12, 2013 9:34 AM

User is online View users profile View thread in raw text format

<< Thanks for the feedback, does anyone have an opinion on the specific card I mentioned, the 1975 psa 8 Bradshaw ? >>

IMO, VCP is the way to go. If you want to try it you can subscribe for only one day if you want. Here is what you would find for 2013 sales of the card in question on VCPs website:

Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 8 - Average Price: $18.16

7/21/13 eBay Auction $10.03
7/4/13 eBay Listing $19.99
4/14/13 eBay Auction $14.95
4/7/13 eBay Auction $13.60
2/2/13 eBay $27.99
2/1/13 eBay $14.27
1/28/13 eBay $25.00
1/2/13 eBay $17.00

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

It was tough having to sell almost my entire collection of ~1,700 PSA graded cards from the 1910s - 1970's and my ~250 - 300 Graded Packs from the 50s, 60s and 70s. But when your daughter AND your wife are diagnosed with Cancer, sometimes you don't have a choice. One day I'll get some of them back!

Bottom

ReggieCleveland
Collector

Thursday September 12, 2013 11:19 AM

SMR has prices for cards that don't exist. That's pretty much it, in a nutshell.

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
FORUMS > SPORTS CARDS & MEMORABILIA FORUM [ REFRESH ]
View Member Listing | Add To Member Listing

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Terms of Membership

Collectors Universe, Inc., or any subsidiary or affiliate is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness or validity of any information contained in any messages.

FuseTalk 3.0 - Copyright 1999-2002 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.