Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1970 Topps Baseball Cello Rip

This board needs more ripping. So will open a 1970 Topps Cello PSA 7 on Saturday and post the card-by-card results on this thread.

The cello pack is from Larry Fritsch and has a Mike Hershberger front. Ernie Banks should absolutely be right behind Hershberger. Less absolute but still possible is Pete Rose around the 10th card in. The sequence does not always hold all the way to Rose.

Could not wait til the National to open some vintage packs!
Nikklos

Comments

• Options
    Good luck with the rip. I can't make the National this year so I appreciate the entertainment.
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Good luck! Looking forward to it. Curious about what it cost you as well.
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Good luck image
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing what you pull.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 605 ✭✭✭
    I love it when Nikklos gets the itch to rip! Good luck!!
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭
    It's only wednesday....really....you are a BIG TEASE!

Can't wait to see it though....now I just have to kill about 72 hours waiting.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    swell. when ya goin' back to Dallas? image
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This board needs more ripping. So will open a 1970 Topps Cello PSA 7 on Saturday and post the card-by-card results on this thread.

The cello pack is from Larry Fritsch and has a Mike Hershberger front. Ernie Banks should absolutely be right behind Hershberger. Less absolute but still possible is Pete Rose around the 10th card in. The sequence does not always hold all the way to Rose.

Could not wait til the National to open some vintage packs! >>

You may get a rose but not in batch of first 11 as he is on opposite half sheet from Banks. who is on back?

If the first 11 actually run goes 12 deep before moving to other half of the 264 card sheet you have a shot at Willie.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's only wednesday....really....you are a BIG TEASE!

Can't wait to see it though....now I just have to kill about 72 hours waiting. >>

I'll be rippin' a 1958 FB cello come Christmas time!!!! How's that for a tease image

I always enjoy a little vintage carnage, even if it is baseball! image

Scott
  • Options
    You know Scott, that if you make me wait that long for a good rip, I can always go elsewhere. image

You are not the only ripper here, and if I have to satisfy a need, I will! In fact I already did, just cracked a Marlins Inagural set with the Jeter ROOKIE in it. Jeter is nice, and getting subbed, pic to follow soon.
  • Options
    My minor rippage for those that need instant satisfaction. image

• Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys for the good wishes. Believe me, I would like to rip the pack now but I am not at the location where the pack is.

JMoran - good stuff. Hope I do get the Mays!

Edit to add: Keough on back. Don't recall anything special ever in front of him.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the rip! Please post some scans, I love to relive the 70's set.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks guys for the good wishes. Believe me, I would like to rip the pack now but I am not at the location where the pack is.

Edit to add: Keough on back. Don't recall anything special ever in front of him. >>

I predict with Keough you will also get a Mike Ryan, an expos pitcher facing left, CL, cardinals rookies, braves rookies, Red sox team card....

• Options
    So we gotta count on the front of the pack yielding some power! Braves rookies is Darrell Evans? Everyone I've got has been badly miscut.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    image[/URL]
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Is it showtime yet?
  • Options
    Hopefully there are some better centered cards deeper in the pack. But if Banks is behind Hershberger like I expect, it is probably way o/c.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go get 'em!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    (In my best Ted Knight voice) WELL... Were waiting...
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    ^^Was thinking that 3 hours ago^^ but not knowing his location and the fact that he said he wasn't with the pack I'm guessing it will be later tonight.
  • Options
    Planning to do this real-time guys. But it is going to be a leisurely Saturday rip and post!
    Nikklos
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Unlike other years, there's no gum in 1970 cellos, so you won't have any gum damage!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    There it is. O/cC Banks!

Sorry photobucket issues

image[/URL]
    Nikklos
  • Options
    image[/URL]
    Nikklos
  • Options
    image[/URL]
    Nikklos
  • Options
    image[/URL]
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Hope to get away from this sequence!

image[/URL]
    Nikklos
  • Options
    You should see a sequence break very shortly, hopefully centering improves!

• Options
    image[/URL]

OK it's a good time for a lunch break!
    Nikklos
  • Options
    image[/URL]
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Getting a little better maybe?

image[/URL]
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Garrett RC! Something only a Met fan would love, lol..

• Options
    Hmm maybe not
    image[/URL]

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Looks like JMoran was spot on. Ugh looks like we may have Two Keough sequences in this pack!
    Nikklos
  • Options
    There's the first...

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Good God
    image[/URL]

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Yikes it's getting ugly!
    image[/URL]
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Every Evans I have ever pulled looks like this

image[/URL]

Lets end the misery quickly!

image[/URL]
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Hey not a half-bad Joey Pep!

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Decent Wills

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Pretty good Downing
    image[/URL]
    Nikklos
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Chris,

Very entertaining. Looks like you showed the cards in the order they were pulled. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry you didn't yield better (but that Hershberger was telegraphing what was likely to be under it).

Cheers

Dave
  • Options
    The final dreaded Keough sequence and that's all folks!
    image[/URL]
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the rip!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Even though centering was tough on these, I thank you for having the nerve to crack open the pack and sharing the results!

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. Fritsch has plenty more.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks guys for the good wishes. Believe me, I would like to rip the pack now but I am not at the location where the pack is.

Edit to add: Keough on back. Don't recall anything special ever in front of him. >>

I predict with Keough you will also get a Mike Ryan, an expos pitcher facing left, CL, cardinals rookies, braves rookies, Red sox team card.... >>

Thanks a ton for sharing!!!!

Cards came out as expected. 1st 11 cards came from left half of sheet and went 11 deep and did not include a Peter Rose, unfortunately the 12th card in this sequence after the cardinals team was Willie Mays image

Next sequence went 11 deep and came from right half, then the 3rd sequence went 12 deep and came from the right half as well. In some cello packs the 3rd sequence flops back to the left half. I mistook the senators rookie card for a cardinals rookie card but overall you got the cards I predicted.

• Options
    Thank you for the rip, and getting it done before I went to bed for a few hours. Wish I had the stones to go after a rip like that. image
  • Options
    Moran is like The Great Carnac of Cards, LOL!!

• Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your centering nightmare. Just curious how people know the sequence. I have doubts that the sequence plays out as expected. Thanks again for sharing with scans.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got bigger cojones than me opening that '70 pack image
  • Options
    That did take a lot of balls. I give you props for going through with it and more so for sharing.

Thanks for the entertainment - Sorry about the centering but at least you already anticipated it.