Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Me and Maven met Bo Jackson and Tim Brown today

It's been a few months since Maven and I have had a chance to go on hobby adventures, but we got the chance today. We went to see Bo Jackson and former Notre Dame legend Tim Brown.

When Bo was signing autographs, he didn't appear too happy, LOL, so I was hoping our photo op would be a better experience

When Maven and I got a chance to meet him for the photo, he was really neat with her. She had brought along a wacky Notre Dame Hawaiian good luck necklace, and she went up and asked him if he'd put it on for the picture. He took them in his hand, and looked at them and told her his Auburn fans would kill him if he wore those. She told him she thought he could take care of himself and he started laughing. He shook our hands and hid the necklace behind Maven for the pic, LOL. He ended up being a cool guy, much nicer then I had read about him before. Bo is a BIG, SOLID guy. I'm fairly big myself (not tall but wide and stout) but Bo dwarfed me. He must have really been hades to tackle.

Of course, the GREAT Tim Brown had no problems accomodating her necklace request.

All in all, a great day spent with my daughter. We giggled and laughed all day. She got a complete 2013 Topps series 1 (I think, I know nothing about new cards) set at the show, and a pack of 52 of the greatest Rangers (yes, we've had at least 52 decent players over the years that could probably at least start for the Yankees on a good day) Looking forward to the Rangers season coming up, she's already started going through her cards and picking out which ones she wants to get signed. We have tickets for their season opener on the road, and she's real excited about that.

Mike
Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Awesome Mike ... always like to hear about the Maven & Mike adventures!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    The first picture of Bo reminds me of a grainy ATM robbery photo that you would see on the news. His hand next her your daughters head blows my mind.

Aweomse, thanks for sharing!
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    What did you have them sign?
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What did you have them sign? >>

Some friends wanted some things signed so I took their stuff. I've got all the Tim Brown's I need already, and although I really wanted to get a 16 x 20 of the Bo Jackson image of him with the shoulder pads and bat, I didn't want to pay his signing fee to get one. I decided I would rather have a picture with him and Maven instead so I bought the photo ops for us.
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Mike

Got a strong sense of deja view.

Thanx for sharing a very poignant story - made my day - has me remembering my days with my son.

Thanx for sharing - nice job of turning the frown upside down on Mr Bo.
    Mike
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Mike , thanks for sharing .----- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    Bo can be a real pain in the you know what... I've seen him a few times around the chicago area and he's not very friendly. Sad that you had to pay for a picture for him to act nice.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I watched the Bo Jackson 30 for 30 ESPN show last week. It definitely gave me better perspective into his life.
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    Thats cool. Congrats on meeting a couple of greats. The most famous guy Ive ever met is moms new
    husband. He once played for the Cardinals, Mets, Phillies, White Sox, Marlins(in 1972), Cubs, and once
    beat off an attacking grizzlie bear with a loose leaf notebook. All on a tuesday!!image
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    awesome stuff Mike. and yeah, those hands are amazingly huge!
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I watched the Bo Jackson 30 for 30 ESPN show last week. It definitely gave me better perspective into his life. >>

I've always admired Bo and that show cemented his legacy in my eyes. He's good people.

Thanks for sharing, Mike!
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    RudedawgRudedawg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    Very cool Mike, if I could meet and shake hand with one sports figure, it would be Bo................even if he frowned and crushed my hand image

Glad your daughter had a good time, good memories
    Currently collecting PSA graded:

1991 & 1992 Fleer Pro Visions
    1952 Topps
  • Options
    cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    Bo doesn't live far from me & goes to the same gym. I actually never seen him smile til now. Lol
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Nice story and a great day image
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I watched the Bo Jackson 30 for 30 ESPN show last week. It definitely gave me better perspective into his life. >>

He could do a standing back flip in waist-deep water. That's CRAZY.