Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

"set break" no longer allowed in ebay titles....

Tried relisting a bunch of cards from the same set yesterday and kept getting the message that "box breaks, and chances to win cards" are against the rules on ebay, and it "seemed" that I was not offering a specific item for sale, but just a chance to win an item. The only way I could get around it was to remove "set break" from all my titles that had been there for the previous week with no issues. Can the programmers there really be that stupid? Gonig to make breaking sets more difficult as many buyers may not realize that there are a # of cards from their set available from one seller with reduced shipping etc.

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    so the word "break" may be the culprit?

here's my take on "set break", though i'm sure anyone who knows recent history wouldn't be a bit surprised.

the original concept worked out quite well because the dealers using the tactic were and still are actually breaking entire sets, which is great for those who want to locate multiples from the same set.

not too long afterwards, rouge sellers began to abuse the term, and suddenly using it in a search created a big mess.

now, they have identified the mess and just decided to sweep it under the rug.

you know, that rug with all those other lumps beneath it already.
  • Options
    I sure hope they don't ban "PSA 8? 9????" because that's a great marketing strategy. Almost as good as the guy who offers "PSA papers" with his raw cards.
  • Options
    Hopefully they outlaw the "not PSA" or "not Topps" headers....
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    backbidderbackbidder Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    Now I understand why some of my searches that have "-break" in them are showing cluttered results.

Alternatives I'm seeing are "from complete set", "from near set", "from partial set", and "setbreak" (no space)

Thanks again ebay.
  • Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    It's about time they started getting rid of some of these ridiculous keyword spamming ploys that people use all of the time. I get so sick of this spamming nonsense.
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tried relisting a bunch of cards from the same set yesterday and kept getting the message that "box breaks, and chances to win cards" are against the rules on ebay, and it "seemed" that I was not offering a specific item for sale, but just a chance to win an item. The only way I could get around it was to remove "set break" from all my titles that had been there for the previous week with no issues. Can the programmers there really be that stupid? Gonig to make breaking sets more difficult as many buyers may not realize that there are a # of cards from their set available from one seller with reduced shipping etc. >>

why does it really matter if it's "set break" for you or ebay? seems like a meaningless phrase to me.image
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Another sneaky way to list with the words Set Break >>

"SeT BrEaK" is equal to "set break" as far as ebay is concerned. That auction was started before ebay's policy went into affect. There are still thousands of current auctions that say "set break" in the title, but none have been listed today (in the cards category, anyway).
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭

<< <i>why does it really matter if it's "set break" for you or ebay? seems like a meaningless phrase to me >>

It just lets a potential buyer know that there are many cards just like this one from the set available from the same seller which usually leads to a lower per item shipping cost. Shipping on 200 individual cards from different sellers would be alot higher than buying those same cards from one seller, potentially leading to a lower overall cost for your set.
  • Options
    as i might have predicted, already received a e-mail from a prominent dealer informing me that since they can no longer use "break" they will be using "bust".

welcome to the Waverly world. (not him, btw)
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a cute stealth listing >>

Man, I had to read that title a bunch of times before I "got" it. I'm kinda slow today, I guess image But, yeah, very stealthy.

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>as i might have predicted, already received a e-mail from a prominent dealer informing me that since they can no longer use "break" they will be using "bust".
    >>

Then they'll ban that, and sellers will use "set crack". Then they'll ban the word "set" (unless it's a complete set), and sellers will use "$et crack". Then they'll ban that and sellers will use "#$@&amp; you ebay".

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Does "set breakup" still work?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    This possibly coming to combat the selling of "box breaks" ?
  • Options
    dismantle.
  • Options
    After turbo lister took an hour and a half to list a thousand auctions with "set Break" in the title, I find this new rule out. It takes some time to revamp a 1000 listings, and then load them again, not very happy with Ebay today.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    A while back, I saw a listing that read....

1993 Bowman Fred McGriff ****SET BREAK****

Ironically, it was the only McGriff card and the only card from 1993 they had listed.

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    JaktJakt Posts: 573

<< <i><< Here's a cute stealth listing >> Man, I had to read that title a bunch of times before I "got" it. I'm kinda slow today, I guess But, yeah, very stealthy. >>

I'm still slow. I don't get it.
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i><< Here's a cute stealth listing >> Man, I had to read that title a bunch of times before I "got" it. I'm kinda slow today, I guess But, yeah, very stealthy. >>

I'm still slow. I don't get it. >>

Since "10" is in the title, if someone searches for "PSA 10" (without quotes), his auction will show up, even though the card is a PSA 9.