Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Friday at The National - Thoughts, Pics, and Pickups

This was my second National - the other being in 2010, as I live about 20 minutes south of Baltimore. There seemed to be more dealers this year, certainly taking up more space than 2010. The facility was nice, parking was easy, and security was visible. In other words, it seemed pretty organized.

With respect to the experience, I was just as overwhelmed as last time. I had more of a "game plan" this year, as I wanted to at least browse every table. My initial run through took about 2 1/2 hours. I took notes on the tables that I wanted to revisit and took some pics (see below).

My goal was to buy something "impactful" to my collection. My collection is focused on Clemente and HOF baseball. My (2) primary targets were a 1933 Goudey Ruth #144 or a 1914/15 Cracker Jack Honus Wagner. I was looking for both in what I call "presentable lower grade" - PSA 1/2/3. While I found several nice cards, I couldn't reach the price I was looking for. Maybe for a SGC 30 Wagner but I was worried about crossing it. Being a slave to PSA definitely limited my options (I suppose that's good for the hobby). I did manage to add a few cards to my collection, including an "impactful" card that I was looking for. (scans below)

Other thoughts;
I don't know how people do this for four straight days -- 5 hours was about my limit
I don't think I could ever travel to do this -- just doesn't seem worth it
As another post suggested, there should be a better way to match buyers and sellers
Prices were comparable to ebay -- nobody discounting much or anxious to make deals
I was surprised by the number of SGC cards (at least for the cards I'm interested in) -- SGC seems much more prevalent in 19th century issues.

Following are a few photos --

A game used Clemente jersey - recently sold at auction

imageimage
The 707 Museum

Topps pack rippers

imageimage
BBCE honey hole

imageimage
Black Swamp find

Now for my pickups . . .

A tough graded Clemente - didn't realize it was already on ebay til I got home

A very tough Clemente Memorial issue (1973) - soon to visit Newport Beach

imageimage
Finally a card I've been looking to add to my collection for a while - presents incredibly well in hand

Comments

• Options
        calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
        Scott , great looking pictures and some VERY nice pickups.----- Sonny
        " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
      • Options
        thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
        Very nice Aaron rookie card. Congrats on the new additions

Mike
        Buying US Presidential autographs
      • Options
        yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
        That is a beauty PSA 6 Aaron RC!
      • Options
        leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
        Very nice Aaron indeed. Thanks for the write-up!
      • Options
        Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
        Wow! Beautiful Hammer.
        Mike
        Bosox1976
      • Options
        bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
        That Aaron looks VERY high end for the grade. It might not '7' due to that one corner on the reverse, but it wouldn't look out of place in a '6.5' at all! Extremely nice card!
      • Options
        pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
        3 Things:

1. Awesome Clemente game used jersey, I have the exact same one in replica.

2. "707 Museum" made me laugh.

3. That Aaron has now made me officially want to collect Aarons!

Great job.
      • Options
        Hanging out with the Ball Boys at Mosaic! Doc Gooden, Barry Larkin and Don Larson made an appearance also! You just have to love the National!!
      • Options
        DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
        Scot ... thanks for sharing. Very nice Aaron ... looks like EVERYONE has been picking up an Aaron Rookie recently!
        STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
      • Options
        MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
        Love the Aaron as well. Thanks for sharing
        1975 Mini Collector
        ebay id Duffs_Dugout
        My Ebay Auctions
      • Options
        TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
        SWEET Aaron!! Nice pick up!
        Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
      • Options
        Thanks for sharing the pictures.
        Collecting 1955 Topps BB
      • Options
        Great Pickups. I'm with the rest of them about that Aaron. It is REALLY nice. I would love to have that card in my collection.

Thanks also for putting up those pictures. Good stuff there.

Did you meet up with anyone else from the boards btw?
      • Options
        OMG! The first pic you have of the Black Swamp find, I am in it! Hahaha. Was sitting at PSA having them reholder a card that came undone. Oddest thing. One day the card was sealed and the next day it came undone. I do not think my dogs' paws could have opened it.

I was a little disheartened yesterday at the National. I spent about 4 hours there, and looked at every table. Saw several copies of cards I want (PSA 8s of Frank Robinson and Reggie Jackson and Nolan Ryan), but some of the dealers were not coming down off of their above ebay prices. I wonder if on Sunday those dealers would come down. One dealer with a lot of inventory mentioned that he netted 14K the day before. I guess at the rate he was going, he did not see needing to lower the price on one of the cards I am seeking just to make a sale.

I did see more dealers with graded cards than the last time I was at the National (2010). But I also saw a handful of dealers who hand far more GAI and BCCG than combined raw, PSA, and SGC.

I was happy to see so many people at the National. I think that shows that at least for one day, people were feeling good about the economy.
        I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
      • Options
        alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
        great to hear you had a great experience, it reminded me that I need to start saving for NEXT year's National!!

al.
      • Options
        pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>great to hear you had a great experience, it reminded me that I need to start saving for NEXT year's National!!

al. >>

I completely agree, but how do you save up and at the same time not buy anything for a year?
      • Options
        good stuff
      • Options
        baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
        nice stuff, congrats!!
        Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
        jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
        Super picts! Thanks for posting for the guys who can't make it.
        CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
        To be honest, no direction, but...
        1966-69 Topps EX+
        1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
        All Topps Heritage-Master Sets