Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1990 Donruss Aqueous Auctions: Some Serious Money Spent Today

All afternoon there have been some rare 1990 Donruss Aqueous cards ending on ebay today. I put a solid bid on a Sandberg and got blown out of the water with the final bid at $400+.

The Nolan Ryan just ended at $1,860. That's some serious coin!

Anybody win their favorite player today?

Mike

Comments

• Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    I wanted the Juan Gonzalez., lost today., at 300.....I no longer want to bid extra just to win the auction as new aqueous have been popping up ....
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    I saw that Juan Gonzalez.....I was surprised it went for that much. Does he have that a strong following?
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shhhhh! Be quite about those. image

Shane

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Huh. Interesting to see so many big names show up. Anyone know the seller or have an opinion on their authenticity?
  • Options
    I dont know the seller but the cards definitely look legit. I'm interested to know how much they will finally end up going for I might have to throw some more up soon since there seems to be a new interest in them again. Cant believe Juan went for that much. I wonder how much the Kirby will sell for its already over $500
  • Options
    I won both Bo Jackson cards. Paid $80 for the pair.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw that Juan Gonzalez.....I was surprised it went for that much. Does he have that a strong following? >>

Yes, there are several serious JuanGone collectors.

Lots of strong prices for the star players - I'd think the seller has to be pleased. However, I was a little surprised to see that many cards go unsold at the $9.99 opening bid.

The seller put up more cards today, including #249.
  • Options
    Congrats on your Bo pickups..great cards
  • Options
    I put a bid on the DK Bo last second, but it wasn't enough.

I really wanted the Ryno, but I know the winning bidder, and he has no fear...if he wants it, you will NOT get it!
  • Options
    miked211miked211 Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I bought the dale Murphy. I have been looking for it since 1999 when the first one showed up on eBay and I lost it. The we're supposedly two finds of these cards in 1999 - chandy who had mostly low numbers under 160 and another dealer in wisconsin that no one new his name. I think this is that guy. I am about 99% sure these are real otherwise I would not have spent this much money on it. I have several other aqueous test cards and these check out and look real. Serious prices coming out for some of the stars you just don't see. I only know of three Murphy's and I know chandy never had one because I asked. Good luck if you are bidding. Michael
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    $80 for two Bo Jackson's is an absolute steal. Well done!

I was considering adding a second Will Clark to my collection, but not at the price it's going for. I was interested if I could get a deal, but it's currently in the ballpark of what I paid for mine. Oh, yeah, there are some super-aggressive Juan Gonzalez collectors out there. If anything, I'm surprised it didn't sell for more than it did.

I find these sorts of items to be an interesting way to gauge how aggressively collected players are. Nolan Ryan is at the top of the heap, but Will Clark is often the second most expensive, with Juan Gonzalez right there. Kirby Puckett has some big prices, too. Then there are hall of famers, and even inner-circle hall of famers, like George Brett, that sometimes go for a bargain. Another non-HOFer that sells quite well at times is Dwight Gooden.

Finally let me say that if you are a serious player collector and don't have your Aqueous yet, you should bid strong on this group, as they might not come around again for a while.

Oh, and since I like to show it off now and then...

• Options
    On the Ozzie Smith, I was the high bidder for about 1.7 seconds. I got out-snipped by $10 ! imageimage

Shane

• Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭
    Now this is nuts....

LINK
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    the Brett Butler closed at $53.88

the card didn't see a bit of action all week. I scheduled a snipe two hours before it closed, and really hoped I could pick it up for the $9.99 opening bid. It was not to be. I wonder if the #1 guy on the registry got it - I noticed he doesn't have a Butler yet.

Oh well, I'll have to be satisfied with my lone copy for now. I know there have to be more of these out there. After all, there's a guy down in Fresno that has 9 Robby Thompsons.
  • Options
    The 9 Robby Thompsons gives me a little hope for Ozzie.

Shane

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Nolan

Does PSA authenticate these cards? For almost 2k I would want to be 100% that these are not fake.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if the #1 guy on the registry got it - I noticed he doesn't have a Butler yet. >>

He does now. image

Hopefully another one comes up soon for you and goes for a lot less. Same with the Ozzie.

I agree with the post about the Checklist. $500+ is truly nuts. I still need one, but that's about four times more than I'm willing to pay.

The cards offered by this seller are definitely genuine. I've received the first three that I purchased from last week, and they look great. I'm now down to needing nine for my set, and obtaining them will be a b$!%#. image
  • Options
    Sandberg went for $500+, but man that Will Clark went ballistic!

We all remember the 1991 PSA Desert Shield Set that sold for huge money. A complete PSA graded Aqueous Set would be an interesting set to see go to a major auction house.

Mike