Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Christmas rack packs on the bay

I remember perusing a discussion about this topic not too long ago, but I wanted to revisit it because I'm seeing a plethora of these things from a myriad of sellers. Most fail to touch the provenance aspect, but I did stumble across one listing that mentioned third parties and card surpluses.

For anyone in the know, is this accurate?

Comments

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    These are real Topps cards that were leftover and sold to a third party who assembled them into Christmas rack packs in the 1950s and
    early 1960s. The packs were NOT produced by Topps.

Based on the reported experience of those who have purchased them and opened them, most of the cards you will find in these packs are
    likely to grade out in the PSA 5/6/7 range.

For people who like mid-grade cards, these packs are not too shabby if you get them at a decent price. If you are an unopened "purist" these
    packs are not for you. If you see one with a major star card showing and are expecting to rip it and get the star slabbed in a PSA 8/9 holder
    I'd suggest you go buy a lottery ticket instead.

Dave
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    you would be better off looking for the equally rare Hanukkah Racks

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Also stay away from the 'Kwanzaa rack packs'.

The cards are from 1954,
    but the holiday wasn't even invented until 1966 ... image
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    70s Fanatic---when Mark Murphy was first selling these exclusively, he and his business partner claimed the cards had been bought by a 3d party from Topps, repackaged in around 1982, and then sold in retail stores. He said the packs ran from 54 to 63. Later packs surfaced from 52 and 53. Now I have heard some exist for post 63. Murphy and his partner could not or would not say who the 3d party buyer was or which specific stores retailed them. I have had people say they remember them but they can not be very specific about where or when. Whatever they were originally, I don't think there is any doubt that someone else is continually recreating them today. So, not only are you not getting untouched Topps cards, but you may be getting 2nd, 3d or 4th generation repackages. But, it would be interesting if someone had first hand knowledge of how and when the first such packs came to be and where they were originally sold. A hobby mystery
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al