Anyone ever have any luck?

jbox

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone ever have any luck?

jbox >>

what's an estage sale?
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    I found a few baseballs signed by Mantle Mays and Berra, never anything that exciting.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone ever have any luck?

jbox >>

what's an estage sale? >>

Apparently it's a place where you can find balls signed by Mantle, Mays and Berra.
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Never been to an estage sale, but here's some tips on estate sales...

If you live in a fairly good size city, there are probably several companies that manage estate sales. You should get on every mailing list you can, as they usually give preference, either an early start time or an early preview day for their regular customers before letting the general public in. Some less-than-honest estate sales companies either hold back obviously good stuff or have gotten paid off to let certain parties have first crack. Wherever there is money involved, there is corruption. Also, though eBay has made pricing a little more efficient, hence you'll find less big scores some employ experts to help price certain items. I've been hired to appraise collectibles and books in the past.

Nearly every company that I've dealt with says that most of their business is to resellers therefore you can usually find good prices available, and most usually take offers on the last day of the sale or afterwards. Don't wait too long as most estate sale companies donate the remaining merchandise to non-profits if the family doesn't want it.

Quality is all over the board, but generally your best sales will be either be in higher income towns or areas, or a sale of a family that has been in one location for a long time. The trend seems to be that younger family members generally don't want "old junk" and want to cash in on the value of the house involved.

Estate sales are a lot of fun, but you have to enjoy the treasure hunt aspect. 80% of my trips I leave empty handed.

• Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭
    Thanks for helpful response, I'll get on some mailing lists. I live near Dallas, so should be a few.

Also, "g" = next to "t" on keyboard, also known as a gypo, sorry guys!

jbox
  • Options
    I've been an insider for 15 years, both North and South (they do it differently), and I'm willing to help out. PM me with specific questions and I'll give you the best answers I've got.
  • Options
    I attend them all the time. Never have any luck with sports cards or memorbilia though. I focus my knowledge on other collectibles instead... Jewelry is where the money is! When it comes to both yard sales or estate sales. The cards are usually junk wax material and usually is overpriced. Sometimes you can find some gems though.

Ryan image
    1938 Cartledge Boxing cards psa 7 - psa 10
    1951 Topps Red backs psa 8 only!
    1960 Golden Press Presidential set Psa 8 's - Psa 9's
    1961 Golden Press psa 9's
    1976 Topps baseball psa 9 Stars
    1980 Kelloggs baseball Psa 9's - Psa 10's
    1988-1989 Fleer Basketball psa 9's
    1988-1989 Fleer Stickers psa 9's
    1989-1990 Fleer Basketball psa 10's
    1992 Coca-Cola Donruss Nolan Ryan 1-26 Psa 10 only Gpa 9.80++ E-mail Newyork00007@aol.com
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    You'll have better luck finding deals on programs/yearbooks/etc. than on cards at estate sales - and occasionally those have been autographed. I have picked up some programs cheaply over the years that were signed on the inside and were priced as if they were regular magazines or books.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I once found a box filled with cards from 1959-1969 for $4.00. In that box I found tons of commons, 2 1963 Pete Rose rookies, about 30 different HOF cards of Mantle, Mays, Berra, Koufax, Gibson, Aaron... a 99% complete set of the 1959 Ted Williams set (card #69 ted signs was not in the set), and about half of the 1964 topps coin set in mint condition. I still have about 1/4 of the find today but I traded and sold most of the others. It was a good day then.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options

<< <i>I once found a box filled with cards from 1959-1969 for $4.00. In that box I found tons of commons, 2 1963 Pete Rose rookies, about 30 different HOF cards of Mantle, Mays, Berra, Koufax, Gibson, Aaron... a 99% complete set of the 1959 Ted Williams set (card #69 ted signs was not in the set), and about half of the 1964 topps coin set in mint condition. I still have about 1/4 of the find today but I traded and sold most of the others. It was a good day then. >>

Thats sick nice find!
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    When I read the title and first post I thought estage might be a term of art for small estate sales conducted out of garages. Maybe it should be.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I once found a box filled with cards from 1959-1969 for $4.00. In that box I found tons of commons, 2 1963 Pete Rose rookies, about 30 different HOF cards of Mantle, Mays, Berra, Koufax, Gibson, Aaron... a 99% complete set of the 1959 Ted Williams set (card #69 ted signs was not in the set), and about half of the 1964 topps coin set in mint condition. I still have about 1/4 of the find today but I traded and sold most of the others. It was a good day then. >>

Thats sick nice find! >>

The funny thing about the find was that I had been out of baseball cards for some years at that time and saw the box. I wasn't going to buy it because I figured it was junk undeneath but my wife told me to buy it to keep me out of her hair that weekend. Her mistake because 5 years later and about $12,000 worth of cards I bought since then came to bite her on the butt. As I went to buy it the older lady selling them told me that it was a good deal for $4.00 and that they were her sons and she just wanted them out of the house. It also helped that we got to her house right at 7am in the morning.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars