Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Quick Paypal/Ebay shipping question

I sold a low-dollar item recently, so I'm not worried about this so much, but I'd like to ask this for future reference.

The buyer hasn't used his Ebay account in a couple of years. Payment was sent to me this morning, and a bit later this morning I received a message through the Ebay message system from him. He very articulately mentioned that his address has changed, and he gave me a new address....which appears to be in the general area of the old one.

Does Paypal protect the shipper in this situation if a message was sent through the Ebay system (not a personal email, mind you) requesting the item be sent to a different location? I'm assuming the address is not confirmed since it's not updated yet in his Ebay account.

I don't think it's anything to worry about, and I looked him up online. It's a $5 item. I'm just curious how seller protection works here if a Not Received claim were to come in.

Comments

• Options
    I imagine you would not have any seller protection, unless he still lives in the same zip code. Some member here never got their item and PP rules against them because it made it to the right zip code.

I would not worry about it, and would not even track it.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I'd ship it but make sure he knows he needs to change his address in Paypal as most sellers won't deal with that stuff nowadays. It'll make you look like a good guy
  • Options
    Thanks Zep and MG.
  • Options
    Next time this happens, the buyer can specify a different ship-to address during the checkout/payment process. After the buyer clicks "Pay Now," he can change his shipping address to one different than the one he has on file with ebay. I had a buyer do this last week, and the new, alternate address showed up in my received payment as the ship-to address. I printed a shipping label exactly as I normally would have otherwise.

As a general policy, I have no problem waiting a few extra days for payment if the buyer tells me ahead of time that he needs something shipped somewhere else and needs a couple days to figure out how to change the ship-to address in his payment.

If it's an expensive item and the buyer pays first and then requests a different address, I wouldn't ship to the alternate address. I'd ask if shipping to the original address would be even the slightest bit acceptable, and if it is, that's where I'd ship it. If not, I'd probably try to convince the buyer to let me refund the original payment and start over.
  • Options

<< <i>Next time this happens, the buyer can specify a different ship-to address during the checkout/payment process. After the buyer clicks "Pay Now," he can change his shipping address to one different than the one he has on file with ebay. I had a buyer do this last week, and the new, alternate address showed up in my received payment as the ship-to address. I printed a shipping label exactly as I normally would have otherwise.

As a general policy, I have no problem waiting a few extra days for payment if the buyer tells me ahead of time that he needs something shipped somewhere else and needs a couple days to figure out how to change the ship-to address in his payment.

If it's an expensive item and the buyer pays first and then requests a different address, I wouldn't ship to the alternate address. I'd ask if shipping to the original address would be even the slightest bit acceptable, and if it is, that's where I'd ship it. If not, I'd probably try to convince the buyer to let me refund the original payment and start over. >>

My buyer just sent me a note saying he's updated his address in Paypal and on Ebay. However, he already paid this morning, and the old address is still showing up in Paypal when I try to prepare a shipping label. I'm assuming the shipping label reverts back to his original address at time of payment.

Thanks for the info on this. It's good for referencing in the future.