Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Frosted or Good?

Need some help. Can't tell if this card has holder has been worked on.

-Ryan

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That holder looks perfectly fine to me.

Steve
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

Looks good to me also.
  • Options
    This exact card has sold 4 times in the last 2 years. Here's the VCP data for this cert # 90577885:

2/8/10 eBay j_caruso c***c 20 $2,851.01

5/8/08 eBay j_caruso sportscardlink*com 27 $3,250.00

3/20/08 eBay joesvintagesportscards j_caruso 21 $3,050.00

2/12/08 eBay joesvintagesportscards mychen119 24 $3,516.00

Caveat Emptor
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This exact card has sold 4 times in the last 2 years. Here's the VCP data for this cert # 90577885:

2/8/10 eBay j_caruso c***c 20 $2,851.01

5/8/08 eBay j_caruso sportscardlink*com 27 $3,250.00

3/20/08 eBay joesvintagesportscards j_caruso 21 $3,050.00

2/12/08 eBay joesvintagesportscards mychen119 24 $3,516.00

Caveat Emptor >>

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

After seeing that, I think I'd passimage

Good detective work Razor! image

Steve
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Someone please clarify and explain the tamper evident, tamper proof features of the PSA slab?
    I have understood it to be that the clear 1/8 inch length strips along the edges (2 on each side, 8 total) of the slab to be tamper evident.
    If that clear/see through strip is no longer clear it means it was triggered by tampering.

Is it still possible to tamper and not have the evidence show?

Please advise.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    The high sales could be because the card is a weak 5, but nonetheless, if the card is authentic and it isn't frosted, I may be interested.
    -Ryan
  • Options
    OckhamsRazorOckhamsRazor Posts: 207 ✭✭
    Incugator, did you end up buying that card for $3250?
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

• Options
    54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    I think that case is fine. I've attached a picture of what a tampered case looks like. You can see how the frosting begins on the right half of the card along the top and the bottom and all the way around the right side.

• Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191

<< <i>I think that case is fine. I've attached a picture of what a tampered case looks like. You can see how the frosting begins on the right half of the card along the top and the bottom and all the way around the right side.

image >>

thanks for posting... I've never really seen one - it must take a lot of practice to open a PSA case without cracking it - I know I've never been able to do it.
  • Options
    I didn't buy the card for $3250. It was too expensive for a 5 that was that weak.
    -Ryan
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    The Ruth case has been compromised. Look at the "pins" below the PSA label(on the corners). They look blurred. Also way too much frosting on the sides. Sneaky way of hiding the frosting by putting a blue background.
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Holder looks unfrosted and good.... but these are Frosted and Grrrrreat!!!
  • Options
    Looks like this card is the proverbial "Hot Potato". Sold again today on 6/11 on ebay 1934 Ruth PSA 5

Given the price, perhaps he ended it early/sold it off-line.

Caveat Frickin Emptor

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Can someone confirm that PSA does indeed slab cases that are somewhat frosted from time to time?

I've had 2 instances of graded cards that look similar to the ruth shown here, very slight, very cloudy frosting evenly along the edges.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options

<< <i>Can someone confirm that PSA does indeed slab cases that are somewhat frosted from time to time?
    >>

I have alot of PSA cards that have frosted edges and they are nearly worthless cards, so yes.
  • Options
    Cases can be frosted, but I looked at the card and the case and they didn't quite match.
    -Ryan