Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

*PACK FRAUD ALERT* Ebay's biggest seller of '50s & '60s era wax packs is a pack counterfeiter!

Two days ago I received a PM from fellow board member (publius) telling me had won some vintage wax packs on ebay from a seller using the ebay user ID of (franksuggs) selling out of Winnebago, Minnesota. (publius) was considering bidding on this week's new round of wax listings by (franksuggs) but since he wasn't real experienced with vintage wax he asked my opinion of what I saw.

So I began looking over (franksuggs) current and past listings and I immediately saw that this seller always deletes the pictures in his listings two weeks after the auctions ends. This is a rare practice and it immediately reminded me of notorious pack counterfeiter (anderson84352) who I exposed recently and was kicked off ebay.

I also noticed (franksuggs) had a particular fondness for selling 1950's 1-cent bb & fb wax packs. And just by coincidence (anderson84352) also had an affinity for making and selling counterfeit '50s era bb & fb penny packs.

I too noticed that (franksuggs)'s earliest nickel packs would always have a shattered piece of gum (when the gum was visible to me). Ironically (anderson84352) also used this technique so that knowledgeable pack collectors would not be able to determine the actual size of the gum prior to it being broken. Authentic whole pieces of gum from the '50s era are extremely hard to find.

So I already had a feeling as to who this seller might be. But this seller (franksuggs) lists Winnebago, Minnesota in his listings as his location yet (anderson84352) lives in Muskegon, Michigan. But you guys might recall that (anderson84352) also used a second ebay ID (kenny92008) to buy his wrappers and singles. However he listed one of his two ID's as located in Michigan and lied about the other saying he was in located in California! Evidence that he will intentionally deceive to throw people off.

Take a closer look at (anderson84352)'s ID as well as his alias (kenny92008). Both begin with a person's name and are followed by a zipcode for a city outside of Los Angeles. Yet (franksuggs)'s ebay ID bears little resemblance to either ID. So I then used Ebay's (ID history) search to see if (franksuggs) has ever changed his ID. It turns out he had changed his ID three months ago--And his previous ID was (frank90013)!! And now notice the striking similarity to (anderson84352)'s ID and his alias (kenny92008). All three begin with a person's name and end with a zip code. And what city is 90013? You guessed it--Los Angeles!!!

So I was almost certain that ebayer (franksuggs) is the same person as notorious pack counterfeiter (anderson84352). So I emailed (publius) two days ago and told him my findings and that I was almost positive (franksuggs) was (anderson84352) and that he had been defrauded. But I told him I still needed to see where his packs were actually sent from. Let's remember that (franksuggs) lists his location in his listings as Winnebago, Minnesota whereas (anderson84352) did all his dirty work from Muskegon, Michigan--almost 400 miles away across two states and a great lake to boot.

Well yesterday I received an email from board member (publius) informing me he received his packs and just as I aniticipated, and feared, they were sent from Muskegon, Michigan. The delivery confirmation read: accepted at postal facility Muskegon, Mi 49444.

So this morning I decided to see if I could determine what other ebay ID (franksuggs) must be using to buy his wrappers and singles. Knowing (franksuggs) likes '50's era penny wrappers I focused in on any that have recently sold using ebay's (completed listings) search tool. Immediately I saw that an ebayer (hkplaza10) was bidding aggressively on every very clean '50s era penny pack--and he was winning many of them.

To my delight I also noticed (hkplaza10) opted to use the (private) feedback option so that no one can view the pictures of the auctions he won. It was to my delight because (Anderson84352) did the very same thing and chose the (private) option as well for alias buyer ID (kenny92008). So I entered (hkplaza10) into ebay's ID search tool and it showed his location as Michigan--just as I expected and hoped! It also showed that (hkplaza10) joined ebay on December 11, 2009. And guess what day (franksuggs) joined ebay?--December 10, 2009--just one day earlier!!!

So all the pieces of the puzzle have come together and as I suspected all along ebayer (franksuggs) is selling counterfeit vintage wax packs and is using a second ebay ID (hkplaza10) to purchased his raw wrappers, singles and inserts. I contacted fellow member (publius) this morning and gave him all I had found and he started a paypal claim this morning.

You board members might remember that (anderson84352) is none other than long-time pack counterfeiter (waxgold). So this is the same guy who keeps getting kicked off ebay and then resurfaces with a new set of ID's. As further example of his deceiving ways one year ago (waxgold) was selling bad packs and listing his location as Michigan but at the same time he was also buying vintage wrappers using another ID (bbwax) and listing his location as Kansas.

Here is a confirmed list of all the ID's this seller has used over the years on ebay to sell counterfeit packs and buy the necessary materials to construct them:

franksuggs
frank90013
anderson84352
kenny92008
waxgold
bbwax
toppsfleer231
ryan231231
quinterw
rainquaker

"doing right ain't got no end"--famous line from the movie Josey Wales, 1976.
"You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific work, as usual! Summer, you are a true asset to the hobby!

I guess the wrappers this thief is selling are ones that he couldn't use for packs!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Summer needs to work for our government.... I think he could find Bin Laden!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Thanks Grote,

Another clue was that (franksuggs)'s very first couple of listings were of empty '75 mini boxes and accompanying wrappers. Just by coincidence (franksuggs) started selling both vintage wrappers & vintage wax packs just three weeks after I exposed his (waxgold) & (toppsfleer231) ID's on these boards.

It looks like he might have been running scared at that time and began selling off his wrappers, empty boxes & "bad" packs using his newly constructed ID
  • Options
    stormsurgestormsurge Posts: 858 ✭✭
    Great work as usual!
  • Options
    I'm of the opinion it's simply better not to buy vintage unopened packs.

The wax packs are waaaay too easy to search and reseal.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Summer ... AGAIN ... thanks very much for your tremendous contribution to our great hobby!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Nice job Summer, and thanks again for the help, its very appreciated

For what its worth, Summer is a true asset to the hobby. Looking this stuff up and tracking it takes alot of hard work and time. Keeping these scumbags from ripping people off is one of the best things you can do for the hobby

Ive filed a PP claim for the 3 wax packs I bought from FrankSuggs, since he has a dozen auctions ending tonight, there should be money in there and I should (hopefully) get my money back

regards

Publious image
  • Options
    Publius,

You are most welcome and hopefully those auctions ending tonight won't do very well.

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

A serious THIEF:

franksuggs

90-days
    Items Sold: 71.9%
    Total Value Sold: $5466.82
    Total Value Shipping: $405.00
    Total Value Not Sold: $882.05

THIEF
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    I bumbed my thread because of an update I wanted to add. In my opening topic I mentioned that (franksuggs) always deleted the pictures in his listings two weeks after the auction concluded. And I mentioned that with his previous ID (anderson84352) he did the same and deleted his pictures in the listings two weeks after the auction ended.

Last night, six hours after I exposed (franksuggs) as a counterfeiter, he had a new run of packs end on ebay. What's interesting is that he immediately deleted the pictures as soon as the auctions concluded instead of waiting his normal two weeks.

It appears this long-time ebay counterfeiter is a regular reader of our boards!
  • Options
    DaddyRichDaddyRich Posts: 241 ✭✭
    Summerof68, you a prince among the trolls who ruin this hobby for so many. I have not the money to indulge in vintage packs but I hope to, someday - and your efforts are helping all of us. Thanks again.

p.s. Not saying you're a troll at all, hope I didn't type that incorrectly. A prince among collectors, that's more like it. image
    Just glad to be here with everyone.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that is great detective work.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I'll second what others are saying, great work.
    It's really too bad there's no way to put this guy out of business permanently.
    I assume he'll just resurface w/ another ID.
    Not sure if it's been discussed, but if a board member from Michigan buys his packs and can prove they are resealed, could a civil suit put an end to all this? Especially since his pack counterfeiting history can be proven?
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

"...could a civil suit put an end to all this?..."

////////////////////

Probably.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Freaking awesome detective work. image
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items