Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

another fake PSA 7 Mantle rookie on ebay?

Comments

• Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    Is it bad when you can see a crack and frosting even when the pictures are that bad?
  • Options
    Try and report it... cracked case and poor pictures.
    Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    That flip (and font) doesn't look right--eerily reminiscent of the Craigslist fakes.

• Options
    The link says the auction was re-listed... the relisted auction says item has ended sold for 19K.. the first picture in the relisted auction is lighter... however can still see the cracked case back in one of the other dark pictures.... 19K holy toledo
    Positive and successful transactions with:
    LeagueLeader; IJustLoveCards; Recbball; msassin; leathtech; lsutigers1973; Bosox1976; Dboneesq; Aric; Bkritz
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    $17K for a PSA 7 52 Mantle would be a steal, but given the picks, the flip, and the cracks, this is very likely a scam.

A legit 7 goes for much more than $17K. Probably somewhere in the $30-40K range, but then scammers love to sell things at a "discount"

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I guess I am a bit skeptical on all things. Who would spend $17K with someone you don't know? I don't have that kind of coin, but if I somehow had it, you better believe I'd be buying from someone with a pristine card reputation and tons of references. Somebody with 300 feedback and 10 sales on ebay? Hmmmmmm......
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    card and label looks good. Has good feedback. But the crack on case and dark pictures would keep me from bidding.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>card and label looks good. Has good feedback. But the crack on case and dark pictures would keep me from bidding. >>

///////////////////

Note that all but 10 of his FB were received as a buyer.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>card and label looks good. Has good feedback. But the crack on case and dark pictures would keep me from bidding. >>

The font on the label is not what PSA uses. It's a fake card, in a re-used slab, with an altered label.

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guarantee that mantle is a fake.

The back of the card is the "stitching to the right" version regarding the stitching on the baseball that contains the jersey number. This is also verifiable due to the positioning of Joe DiMaggio's name at the end of the first line of text. In this version, the "s" in "DiMaggio's" is directly under the "t" in right.

Since the front of the card is the one with the full black border around the Yankee logo, upturned final stroke in Mantle's signature, and straight edge at the top of the name box, the back should be the "stitching to the left" version regarding the baseball on the back. This version also has the "s" in "DiMaggio's" directly under the "h" in right on the back.

This is a common mistake in counterfeit '52 Topps Mantles.

Edited to add:

While this wrong front/back combination is common among fakes, it is not to say that all fakes have the wrong front/back combination. It is simply an indicator which if found, is a guarantee that the card is a fake.

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>

The font on the label is not what PSA uses. . >>

What is different about the font? Comparing it to my psa cards, i see no difference.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    The differences are subtle, but they're there. Look at the font spacing vs that of an authentic Mantle.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25