Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who is baseball's Felix Potvin

I have never seen such a mediocre retired player garner so much hobby attention. Who do you think is baseball's equivalent?

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please hurry up and answer him. He really hates slow message boards.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i'm still trying to remember if i ever saw a goalie on a baseball diamond. image
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I'm having French Toast for dinner
  • Options
    I came in here thinking it would be about Denis Potvin.

Felix was also an Islander, but I'm ashamed to say so.
  • Options
    What is hockey Alex?
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    what card are you holding up in your photo there?
  • Options
    Don Mattingly
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>garner >>

clue.
  • Options
    I guess people don't understand the question.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Who is Felix Potvin?
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Junior Felix.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>Who is Felix Potvin? >>

What he said...
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    There aren't any. Baseball players wear spikes, not skates... Although Michael Myers wore a mask.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have never seen such a mediocre retired player garner so much hobby attention. Who do you think is baseball's equivalent?

Andres Galagarra. Get it?

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    lol You guys really don't know what I mean? Is this a sports card message board or not?
  • Options

<< <i>Who is Felix Potvin? >>

imageimage

• Options

<< <i>lol You guys really don't know what I mean? Is this a sports card message board or not? >>

Sports card message board? That's Mon-Wed and Fri-Sun. Tonight it is Comedy Central...
  • Options
    Think people are just having some fun with you, sir.

Tough question. Potvin's career started with a bang, he played in a big market, was a good looking fella (and had the French-Canadien accent that the ladies seemed to like....though it never worked for me image). Plus he had the nickname thing going on.

Your Nomo comparison is a logical one.

Good luck with your search.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    My favorite Felix Potvin story was when I went to the NHL All-Star Game while doing a show across the street at the Hotel Pennsylvania with a bunch of hockey old-timers. Potvin came in for the second period and when he was announced, the Madison Square Garden faithful took the opportunity to revamp their old Denis Potvin chant. This went on for a few minutes and after each time he let up a goal... It was a blast!
  • Options

<< <i>Think people are just having some fun with you, sir.

Tough question. Potvin's career started with a bang, he played in a big market, was a good looking fella (and had the French-Canadien accent that the ladies seemed to like....though it never worked for me image). Plus he had the nickname thing going on.

Eyebone >>

Hideo Nomo has a French-Canadian accent?
  • Options

<< <i>Think people are just having some fun with you, sir.

Eyebone >>

Thanks for a real response. I am not searching, just making conversation. I do think Nomo is pretty comparable. He has fanatical fans that will pay crazy prices for hard to find stuff... and he was only good for a few early years.
  • Options
    Ya never know. Potvin did end up in LA--maybe they hung together and it rubbed off. image

Eyebone
  • Options
    Seriously, the best baseball equivalents would probably be the likes of:

Thurman Munson

And guys like:

Mark Fidrych
    Kirk Gibson
    Bo Jackson
    Greg Luzinski
    Bobby Richardson

• Options

<< <i>Seriously, the best baseball equivalents would probably be the likes of:

Thurman Munson

And guys like:

Mark Fidrych
    Kirk Gibson
    Bo Jackson
    Greg Luzinski
    Bobby Richardson >>

Bo Jackson I can see. He didn't accomplish all that much due to injury, but he still has a lot of fans/collectors. I'm not sure he is at the level of Nomo and Potvin though.
  • Options
    Kind of off-topic, but how come any time anyone mentions anything other than baseball they get "the business"? Am I missing something?
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

Thurman Munson

And guys like:

Mark Fidrych
    Kirk Gibson
    Bo Jackson
    Greg Luzinski
    Bobby Richardson >>

Fidrych or Richardson, yes. I can think of several other Yankees who might fit that mold - Tresh, Kubek, McDougald, etc..

Munson, Gibson, Bo, and Luzinski - no IMO. All were legitimately top stars for periods in a way Potvin never was.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>

Thurman Munson

And guys like:

Mark Fidrych
    Kirk Gibson
    Bo Jackson
    Greg Luzinski
    Bobby Richardson >>

Fidrych or Richardson, yes. I can think of several other Yankees who might fit that mold - Tresh, Kubek, McDougald, etc..

Munson, Gibson, Bo, and Luzinski - no IMO. All were legitimately top stars for periods in a way Potvin never was.

Nick >>

But do people go crazy over their stuff? I've seen some INSANE prices attained for Nomo and Potvin stuff. And Potvin was never really any good, just popular.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

Thurman Munson

And guys like:

Mark Fidrych
    Kirk Gibson
    Bo Jackson
    Greg Luzinski
    Bobby Richardson >>

I've never understood the love for Munson, sad story?-yes, career .290 hitter while averaging like a dozen HR's a year?
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Kind of off-topic, but how come any time anyone mentions anything other than baseball they get "the business"? Am I missing something? >>

Sevendust...
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Kind of off-topic, but how come any time anyone mentions anything other than baseball they get "the business"? Am I missing something? >>

If it were a snake it would bite you. On the other hand , the eye that one would use to see if you are missing something , doesn't see very well. I'm of the belief , that he convinced against his will , is of the same opionion still.

In other words , until you can see , what others so easily see , for yourself, you are missing it.--- My 1-1/2 cents-- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Potvin still commands hobby attention? That is just shocking. I haven't followed the modern hockey market in a long time, but I would've guessed that he had long ago faded into Bolivian. Or at least passed the goaltending torch of mediocrity-yet-popularity to Carey Price.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Potvin still commands hobby attention? That is just shocking. I haven't followed the modern hockey market in a long time, but I would've guessed that he had long ago faded into Bolivian. Or at least passed the goaltending torch of mediocrity-yet-popularity to Carey Price. >>

Yeah, it's quite fascinating. He has a lot of hard-core spenders. If I had any rare stuff of his, you better believe I would have it on eBay.
  • Options
    It is probably hard to understand what Felix Potvin was to Toronto Maple Leaf fans of the 1990's -

After a dry spell of the 1980's no Leaf goaltender led the league in anything - except maybe loses.

Potvin help take the Leafs to the bring of the Stanley Cup, was voted NHL All-Star (twice) and came into the NHL with every minor league allocade a goalie could have.

He was good enough to make the Leafs trade away HOF Grant Fuhr -

sadly, the Leafs have been down hill since - very few All-Star players (of course now you have 40 or 60 guys named to A.S. team) but he was really something in the day.

I would compare him to the Daryl Strawberry or Dwight Gooden craze of the mid 1980's.

I would still collect his cards ... (one of my favorite) -

• Options
    Once I smoked pot with Felix in his van...............dwon by the river.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Felix Who?

Besides Mantle..... King of all overrated baseball players....

I guess Eddie Gaedel would be the most famous overrated baseball player, ..............in a small way!
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Point taken, Hun. I would think hockey inspires more local and regional collector loyalty than the other sports and that's probably especially true for the Leafs. Call it the Wendel Clark Effect.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    an old TTM I had with Potvin in the '90's....love the auto-pen...

• Options
    lol I think all the copycat threads are going to push him into superstardom.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is probably hard to understand what Felix Potvin was to Toronto Maple Leaf fans of the 1990's -

After a dry spell of the 1980's no Leaf goaltender led the league in anything - except maybe loses.

Potvin help take the Leafs to the bring of the Stanley Cup, >>

Come on, the Leafs never even made the Finals with Felix. the "brink of the Stanley Cup" is where the Red Wings were last year and the Penguins were in '08.

Tabe
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The real question is who is sportscardtheory?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It is probably hard to understand what Felix Potvin was to Toronto Maple Leaf fans of the 1990's -

Potvin help take the Leafs to the bring of the Stanley Cup, >>

Come on, the Leafs never even made the Finals with Felix. the "brink of the Stanley Cup" is where the Red Wings were last year and the Penguins were in '08.

Tabe >>

for the Leafs - making the play-offs = "on the brink of a Stanley Cup" !!!!

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Potvin currently lives with his family in Magog, Quebec, and is a goalie coach for the midget AAA Magog Cantonniers
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    What makes you think that Felix Potvin cards sell at "insane" prices? Searching the last 90 days of auction, only one Potvin card has sold for over $56 and that is an 01 Mask Collection card #/25 which sold for $193. A Jose Theodore from the same set sold for $188, so the high price really has nothing to do with Potvin, rather the popularity of the set. Besides that card nothing of Potvin's has commanded anything out of line except maybe a few $40 auto/patch cards here and there, but that's standard for a lot of guys in all sports.

No offense but I'm pretty sure you have zero idea what you're talking about.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Call it the Wendel Clark Effect. >>

Yep. Look how much this PSA 9 OPC rookie of his brought. Granted they don't come up very often but this is the highest price I can remember it going for.
  • Options

<< <i>
    No offense but I'm pretty sure you have zero idea what you're talking about. >>

but he makes a darn fine catalyst. let's keep him.
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Wendel Clark..........Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 9 - Average Price: $47.67

12/22/09 eBay Auction | Image 4_sharp_corners w***w 10 $76.01
    5/25/09 eBay Image east_coast_newfie r***y 14 $26.95
    4/24/09 eBay Image 4_sharp_corners-2 o***s 7 $32.00
    4/13/09 eBay Image east_coast_newfie s***o 6 $49.00
    4/6/09 eBay east_coast_newfie s***o 13 $62.00
    12/8/08 eBay Image cvenner6utg _***a 9 $53.00
    12/10/07 eBay Image amhockey mattil-80 12 $42.00
    8/29/07 eBay gerrys-sportscards pjaamma 1 $45.00
    8/13/07 eBay 4_sharp_corners-2 doum77 5 $50.49
    8/6/07 eBay $50.00
    7/9/07 eBay $61.00

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    What do any of these threads have to do with anything???

• Options

<< <i>What makes you think that Felix Potvin cards sell at "insane" prices? Searching the last 90 days of auction, only one Potvin card has sold for over $56 and that is an 01 Mask Collection card #/25 which sold for $193. A Jose Theodore from the same set sold for $188, so the high price really has nothing to do with Potvin, rather the popularity of the set. Besides that card nothing of Potvin's has commanded anything out of line except maybe a few $40 auto/patch cards here and there, but that's standard for a lot of guys in all sports.

No offense but I'm pretty sure you have zero idea what you're talking about. >>

YOU don't know what you are talking about. You are only going by the last 90 days of sales and don't know anything about Felix Potvin cards. Common cards of this guy often sell for $2-$5. Anything numbered sells for much higher than most current players in the same set. His rare cards from the '90s outsell a lot of players that are still playing. Just because you did your little search, doesn't mean it's the end-all on Felix Potvin sales. Anyone that knows anything about hockey cards knows this guy is a hot commodity... clearly you don't.

Potvin sales

Clearly this guy has a higher amount of sales to listings than most current players, and he never accomplished anything. He retired early and was never that good, yet he STILL outsells most current players. So again YOU don't know what you are talking about. NO OFFENSE.
  • Options
    i think it's about time for Nick's popcorn cat. image