Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

ERROR CARD OF THE WEEK THREAD 10/4/09 (1989 Fleer Randy Johnson/Jeff Treadway)

I think it would be nice to have a weekly thread looking at my recent error card pickups/poppage to spark a nice discussion and for others to post and chime in with their error/variation cards and such.

I will try to update at least 1 new card (hopefully more) since many of the members don't even collect errors, especially modern stuff.

So today, we will look at the 1989 Fleer Randy Johnson Marlboro PSA 10 -- I will remove the PSA numbers for my own protection !

Jackson_Coupage actually has a very clear one for sale on the bay right now.

Take a look ., what do you think ? I think I have one of the clearest PSA 10's.

Buying:
Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”

Comments

• Options
    Nice Marlboro!

A completely clear sign version did recently shown up. I think Donovan had a scan of it.

Right now the error card that I am trying to find (to no luck) is the 1988 Topps California Angels TL card with the MAGENTA slash on Joyner's sleeve. If you look at most copies of card #381, Joyner has has a strangely airbrushed streak down his shoulder/sleeve. The first printing had a magenta slash in that spot and I believe it was corrected very early - I've only seen it twice.

I let the only copy I have ever owned go for a couple of bucks and am kicking myself now.
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Cool thread! I'll try to post some scans as well.
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    awesome...hope to keep it going

Ill look for that card JC
    Buying:
  • Options
    hope been actually read this....

I will be back with more threads....at least one card a week !
    Buying:
  • Options
    Some info on your wantlist cards:

<< <i>
    Looking for:
    1990 Fleer Dave Martinez with the yellow 90' on Front,
    1990 Upper Deck Black Box #702 Mike Witt (will pay a premium for this),
    1991 Topps Mark Whiten "hand out of the border" on front error,
    >>

The Martinez yellow 90's usually got for $50-80 (I sold 3 of them a while back). Very tough to find, found all of mine in beckett stores.
    The 1990 Upper Deck Witts are an easy $600.
    The 1991 Topps Whiten ERRs usually go for $20 (lowest) to $75 (highest) (sold 5 of these a while back, last one was $20)
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • Options

<< <i>Some info on your wantlist cards:

<< <i>
    Looking for:
    1990 Fleer Dave Martinez with the yellow 90' on Front,
    1990 Upper Deck Black Box #702 Mike Witt (will pay a premium for this),
    1991 Topps Mark Whiten "hand out of the border" on front error,
    >>

The Martinez yellow 90's usually got for $50-80 (I sold 3 of them a while back). Very tough to find, found all of mine in beckett stores.
    The 1990 Upper Deck Witts are an easy $600.
    The 1991 Topps Whiten ERRs usually go for $20 (lowest) to $75 (highest) (sold 5 of these a while back, last one was $20) >>

Is "out of the border" Whiten the one where his hand is covering the border, or not?
  • Options
    Chris- His hand extends past the left border into the white. It's very noticable.

My buddies card. Unaltered scan. Well, except for my sleek number hiding job.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    very nice ...I have 2 more that are clear like my PSA 10.,

I may just sell them....

I was gonna try to hold for grade or trade, but no reason to since i got the 10 first shot!
    Buying:
  • Options
    Ahhh, thanks D.
  • Options
    Here are a couple "errors" (I use the term loosely because of the Longoria) I've received from recent submissions:

• Options
    nice !
    Buying:
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Nice errors, but is it really necessary to hide the serial numbers? What are we worried is going to happen?
  • Options

<< <i>Nice errors, but is it really necessary to hide the serial numbers? What are we worried is going to happen? >>

So your the one adding these cards to your registry...
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    well, on some of the set registry builders may try to take the serial for their set.

Especially when we have some errors that are tough for the average collector.

Buying:
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    So let me get this straight: There are people that would go onto PSA's website and add a cert # to their registry set even though they don't own that card? This seriously happens? I mean, they have to know that 1) The owner can prove that they don't own the card, and 2) The only thing you get for winning the registry contest is some BS award certificate and the knowledge that you have the number one set out there (which wouldn't be true if you were stealing certs).

I'm usually good at coming up with analogies for situations, but I can't think of a single situation that would be remotely like using a cert # in your registry and not actually owning the card.

Lee

edit- I know 98% of my posts here are sarcastic, but I really didn't know that people stole certs to move their registry sets up. That's hilarious and mind-blowing to me all at the same time. Also, I was told by another member that a registry member gets free subs if they are at 90%. I guess that would be motivation to steal certs, but still....
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    What is the error on the Treadway?

Thanks!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    hey CD Nuts - I have every card ever made by every company- wanna see the registry numbers ?

haha - you are right, what's the big deal - you don't get the cards just because you know the number.
  • Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭

<< <i>So let me get this straight: There are people that would go onto PSA's website and add a cert # to their registry set even though they don't own that card? This seriously happens? I mean, they have to know that 1) The owner can prove that they don't own the card, and 2) The only thing you get for winning the registry contest is some BS award certificate and the knowledge that you have the number one set out there (which wouldn't be true if you were stealing certs).

I'm usually good at coming up with analogies for situations, but I can't think of a single situation that would be remotely like using a cert # in your registry and not actually owning the card.

Lee

edit- I know 98% of my posts here are sarcastic, but I really didn't know that people stole certs to move their registry sets up. That's hilarious and mind-blowing to me all at the same time. Also, I was told by another member that a registry member gets free subs if they are at 90%. I guess that would be motivation to steal certs, but still.... >>

These are the same people sending ttm requests to A.C. Slater.
  • Options

<< <i>What is the error on the Treadway?

Thanks! >>

Right above his head there's a small blue printer's registration mark, or what has commonly been referred to as a "target". A little hard to see in that scan, sorry.
  • Options
    Aside from registry theft-

On some high end, you ever see a nice card, like a '52 Mantle on a site like Craigslist and the flip looked a little off, card looked a little too new but the cert # was correct...

Seller selling using stolen scans. If the cert is covered, many will email asking for it, and if the seller cannot provide..

The Marlboro card I posted, number was covered when I rec'd the scan. I've only covered a few cert #'s of mine. Mainly because they were really rare and I didn't want to risk a fake poping up using my #.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Since we were talking about the Treadway Errors i way have post the 3 that I have, rather then saving for another thread....

take a look-see:

More ERROR card of the week threads to come every weekend !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Buying: