Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Resurgence in 1990's Michael Jordan inserts?

I was looking for a Big Man on Campus Michael Jordan card and was amazed at how much they were selling for - $200+ - even for a raw one. I decided to check on a few other popular inserts from 1992-1998 and prices still seem strong, it was almost like I was back at the Rosemont, IL show in 1997.

Have Jordan inserts from that era become popular again? I remember they dropped in value once the jersey and auto card craze started in the late 1990's. They looked so boring compared to the new stuff. At the time I thought they were somewhat undervalued because those cards were really tough pulls, but thought that the hobby tastes had passed them by. Now they look "classic" compared to today's cards. I guess the mid-1990's will be known as the Golden Era of the Insert!

In a way, I'm glad that they still hold their value. Jordan is the closest thing to Mantle from that era.
Mike

Comments

• Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    Try to find a highly graded 1992 fleer team leader Jordan if you want to really be amazed. I think there are alot of people that are starting to collect the 90's inserts again. They have become vintage inserts!!!
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    I think one of my best buys in the last 5 years was a box of 92/93 Fleer rack with the Team Leader, on ebay for $70-80. One box I wont be selling.

Still looking for a box with the total d inserts....although I dont check very often for it.

And the Mr June set was pretty popular.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Really? I've got tons of that stuff. Unfortunately I trimmed them all
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    it must be his shocking election to the basketball HOF earlier this week that is doing it.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>it must be his shocking election to the basketball HOF earlier this week that is doing it. >>

Haha! exactly! Ive always thought it was crazy that a players card values start rising when they're first put into the HOF. It's like card buyers forgot all about the guy until the announcement is made.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Holy Crap ....

108 MJ Inserts for $3,000!

I can't wait to show my youngest son this one! He gave a shoe box filled with Jordan inserts to his girlfriend's younger brother last week!

On second thought, maybe I better not say anything .... as it was my idea to give them to him image

PoppaJ
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Try to find a highly graded 1992 fleer team leader Jordan if you want to really be amazed. I think there are alot of people that are starting to collect the 90's inserts again. They have become vintage inserts!!! >>

I think you're right. I've noticed a tough insert from that period go for decent money (BV or higher) from time to time. But it seems that Jordan's stuff is hot across the board. It seems that the inserts from 1999 and later do not seem to get the same attention as the mid-1990's stuff.

Looks like I have a new collecting challenge. I had so many of the MJ inserts and ended up trading them for Grant Hill rookies. I lived in Detroit at the time and was huge Pistons fan.......oh well.
    Mike
  • Options
    fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Have Jordan inserts from that era become popular again? I remember they dropped in value once the jersey and auto card craze started in the late 1990's. They looked so boring compared to the new stuff. At the time I thought they were somewhat undervalued because those cards were really tough pulls, but thought that the hobby tastes had passed them by. Now they look "classic" compared to today's cards. I guess the mid-1990's will be known as the Golden Era of the Insert! >>

What I have found is that demand for certain Jordan inserts have remained strong while others can be picked up for next to nothing. The '92 Team Leaders is the best example since demand never really dropped off for that card. The '93 Ultra Scoring Kings has always been popular and the '92 Beam Team cards, '92 Fleer Total D and early refractors still are going fairly strong. For those particular issues (and many others), I wouldn't say they are now popular again - it's more like they have remained popular.

There are a lot of other Jordan inserts that still have Beckett values of $15-$30 that can be picked up very cheaply.

• Options
    This will be a trend for Jordan as kids that watched him play are now at the age where they have expendable income(hah, in this economy). This is what happens when you get out of college and move back in with your parents. Jordan will always have demand and his 90's inserts are a big part of it. The nasty part is yet to come though when the inserts begin to get graded. We all know how tough the edges are on the Fleer products and all the rest of the shiny stuff.
  • Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    One of the other really tough Jordan inserts is the 95-95 Finest Orange Test Refractor. Those always bring a ton!!!!
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I have actually noticed a slight surge in all early inserts, not only basketball, but in other sports as well. I sold almost $200 worth of Griffey Jr. and Thomas inserts this past week to a collector. I think it has a lot to do with people who collected back then and couldnt afford it, now have jobs and can afford them and may be reliving thier childhood.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have actually noticed a slight surge in all early inserts, not only basketball, but in other sports as well. I sold almost $200 worth of Griffey Jr. and Thomas inserts this past week to a collector. I think it has a lot to do with people who collected back then and couldnt afford it, now have jobs and can afford them and may be reliving thier childhood. >>

On Ebay? I would love to look at what you have for Griffey and Thomas cards.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    It is pretty much on a handful of select Jordan inserts that are elite sellers. They pretty much always have been, just more have been trading hands lately. Other examples are 95-96 Hot Numbers (was once a $250+ card), 96-97 EX A cut Above, BMOC, Metal Universe Titanium, Ultra Court Masters, Flair Hot Shots, Metal Linchpins, Dominion Noyz Boyz, Zforce Rave and Super Rave.