Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1957 Champion Celtics TTM project. EDIT: DONE!! Added Frank Ramsey. My new favorite collectible

So I've been a huge Celtics fan my whole life. I've been working on a Celtics graded HOF set for awhile - only missing the 57 Russell. BUT, I always wanted to do a Celtics autograph project. The one thing preventing me was always that Bill Russell wouldn't sign. Well, I decided that I really wanted to compile a Celtics signed ball now. So today, I bought a PSA authenticated Bill Russell signed ball:

My plan is this....I'm going to mail it to the other 4 members of the 1957 Celtics starting 5, their first championship team. It'll also go to the 6th man. They all sign in the mail! I've had success with 8 X 10's for all of them. They are:

F - Tommy Heinsohn (HOF)
F - Jim Loscutoff (Retired #18, later worn by Dave Cowens - Loscy now hangs in the rafters)
G - Bob Cousy (HOF)
G - Bill Sharman (HOF)
6th Man - Frank Ramsey (HOF)

I've done hundreds of golf balls in the mail and numerous baseballs and plenty of floorboards, even some hockey pucks. That said, I've never done a basketball. I'm going to have to find appropriate boxes to ship with, calculate the appropriate postage coming back to me and include silver sharpies, a sincere letter and probably at least a $25 donation to each's favorite charity ($35 for Cousy who requires it). Anxious to start. I'll post updates as signatures are added. image

I actually would like to ask one question. If you were me, would you add Loscutoff? He's not a HOF but a Celtics legend. The other 4 guys were starters for the 58 team that lost the finals. Is it better to have the all HOF starting 5 from the 58 team or the starting 5 plus 1 from the first championship team?

Latest Additions to this ball:
BillSharman
Bob Cousy
Tommy Heinsohn
Jim Loscutoff
Frank Ramsey

Comments

• Options
    I don't know but that ball is awesome!
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    You've got image my friend!
    Not sure I would take the chance for a number of reasons.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it better to have the all HOF starting 5 from the 58 team or the starting 5 plus 1 from the first championship team? >>

I would do the champ team plus the one.

Imo, I just can't see having a Celtic ball without Larry Bird.

I understand that you're doing an older team.

However, I feel it's your obligation as a responsible Celtic fan to do a modern ball with Bird's team as well image
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

However, I feel it's your obligation as a responsible Celtic fan to do a modern ball with Bird's team image >>

The problem is Dennis Johnson is dead and Larry doesn't sign at shows. McHale isn't the easiest signer either. Ainge and Parish are reasonable. I guess the 81 team is doable. Tiny Archibald, Cedric Maxwell, Parish, Bird and Chris Ford were the primary starters. I could buy the Bird and start from there.
  • Options
    After I posted, I realized Dennis was gone.

I didn't know about Larry not doing shows.
  • Options
    Well, 2 down and 4 to go. Bill Sharman returned this to me in a grand total of 4 days!!! Next it's going to Cousy. I love that they're adding their numbers. Cousy usually does so too. I hope Ramsey, Loscutoff and Heinsohn do as well. Will look really good if I can get this done image

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    That is great! Congrats Vito!!!!!!
  • Options
    WOW! very cool project you got going there Mike, I'm a Lakers fan myself and I'm floored at this piece.
    Great Job and Good luck with your quest..
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! That's quite a pickup.

The only thing I have with Russell is an auto book - the ball is incredible.

Thanx for sharing - nice writeup.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    very cool project, good luck as a Celtic fan i know that will be a great ball once its done, are they all HOFers?
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Nice project. I would stick with only the starting five. Gives the ball more impact.

J
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! I too would stick with the starting five as well. For another ball how about just the big three from the 80's? Bird, McHale and Parish?
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Vito on your progress. That ball is already looking awesome. Just be sure to properly insure the ball every time you ship it out.

Brian
  • Options
    Wow! Four days?? That is great.

Too bad he doesn't sell on Ebay image
  • Options
    I know some of you expressed some skepticism about his project - thinking I was crazy (and you're probably right) but I'm HALFWAY HOME!

Added Bob Cousy! Now have Bill Russell, Bill Sharman and Bob Cousy on this ball. Next up is Tommy Heinsohn. After that will be Jim Loscutoff and Frank Ramsey.

I present to you the third of the starting 5 from the 1957 World Champion Boston Celtics, Hall of Famer Bob Cousy

• Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Grats Vito! I missed this the first time around, cool project.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Awesome idea - best of luck with it!
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    This is really cool. Congrats and continued good luck!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superb Mike!

Keep us posted and good luck! Incredulous? Not me - I applaud your project and look forward to the next installment.

That's what we're here for - thanx for sharing!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    WOW! First time I seen this thread. What a neat idea! Goood luck with Heinsohn and the rest. What a great display piece that will be!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    congrats!!!!

keep going, can't wait to see the completed ball
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Well, this is really coming together. I just got Tom Heinsohn back in the mail after 3 weeks. Only Jim Loscutoff and Frank Ramsey to go and I'll have the 1957 World Champions and my favorite all time piece:

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    woo wee!
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great Mike. I bet you can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel now.
  • Options
    That ball is looking great Mike. Maybe when you get the last auto, I can come over and shoot some hoops with ya. j/k

I bet you are very nervous every time you mail it out until you get it back each time. Great project.
  • Options
    Bumped for the addition of the final member of the 1957 World Champion starting 5.

Mr. Jim Loscutoff..#18...Jungle Jim or Loscy

I'm so excited/relieved every time this thing returns. I'm now going to send to Frank Ramsey - the 6th man and a Hall of Famer and then let this thing rest so I don't have a heart attack. I have had a GREAT experience so far with this ball. I enjoy writing to these guys and posting my progress here. Thanks for the well wishes guys.

One question - since Ramsey is the final signer, would you ask him to write 1957 World Champions somewhere on the ball? I'm thinking yes, but I'd love to hear opinions

• Options
    Very nice ball . You have more guts then i do . Bet you were there looking out the window for the mailman
    every day that ball was gone
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
  • Options
    So get this...I mailed to Frank Ramsey last Friday. Sent priority to Kentucky. It was returned Priority today!!! 7 days! And he returned my charitable donation and wrote on my envelope - "My Pleasure - Frank"

What an amazing guy. Now i have my all time favorite collectable and something that seemed like a pipe dream 6 months ago. The 6th and final signature to the 1957 World Champion Boston Celtics signed basketball - Mr. Frank Ramsey!!!!

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW! I'm not even a Basketball fan, and that is still an amazing piece!! Congrats!!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WOW! I'm not even a Basketball fan, and that is still an amazing piece!! Congrats!! >>

Ditto!
  • Options
    Congratulations on having an awesome collectible Mike. I understand the priceless sentiment the ball has to you, but since I am a curious sort, what do you figure that you're "into" the ball for? Donations, mailings, cost of the ball, etc....
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

Congratulations. Sweet piece and even sweeter to you since you had to put in the legwork to obtain it.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

<< <i>Congratulations on having an awesome collectible Mike. I understand the priceless sentiment the ball has to you, but since I am a curious sort, what do you figure that you're "into" the ball for? Donations, mailings, cost of the ball, etc.... >>

Mailing ($13 to each guy X 6) $78
    I actually mailed TO everyone for free when I was still employed. It was only return postage that I paid for

Boxes (4 each X 12) $48

Tape/Pens probably $20

Donations:
    Sharman: $20
    Cousy: $35
    Heinsohn: $20
    Loscutoff: $20
    Ramsey: $0 (he sent it back to me!)

Original ball with Bill Russell signature: $285

So: 285, 20, 35, 20, 20, 20, 48, 78 = $526

And it was all 100% worth it. I had fun, got to correspond with Celtic legends and I have a real gem of a collectible to show for it.

• Options
    Bumped so everyone can see Mike's labor of love.
  • Options
    Congrats Mike, That TTM project is awesome! When you get a chance, I would love to see how it is displayed at your place.

Brian
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    These kind of endeavours are inspiring, priceless pieces can be had when the right effort is put forth. Congrats!
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Bumped for Fred (baseballfan) to see.