Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Frosted case?

All this talk about frosted PSA cases made me look closer at my last purchase. Is there someone that is an expert at this that can look at this casing and
tell me if this is the "so called frost" or are you guys just making me paranoid?

right side near label

Comments

• Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    I am by no means an expert, but the case looks fine to me.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Looks fine.

I think it is VERY difficult to pass one off in person, but it can happen with just a scan.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be more worried about the one on the right side near the word Robinson. See how the one across from it on the left near the word Jackie is completely clear?
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd be more worried about the one on the right side near the word Robinson. See how the one across from it on the left near the word Jackie is completely clear? >>

//////////////////////////

I see that.

PSA is always happy to look at a "questionable" slab.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    THe seller had this card as well, but i was outsniped (wow $720 for a 4)

Same set of submission numbers...it has the same mark on the case...

link to auction
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    That seller has been spoken of on this or another board and is on my list.
  • Options
    My notes DO NOT have that seller as a crack and swap guy or a trimmer. The case is probably OK, hold it up to the light for a good look-see, then examine the edges where the frost is. Any hijinks are easily seen with case in hand.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I have to ask a stupid question. Do random marks like these decrease the value of the card in the slab? In a previous thread I asked about PSA labels, and which generation of them was considered more or less valuable. I was told by several people that the label and slab don't matter, it's just the card. If that's true, then so what if a slab has a scratch or some "frosting"?
  • Options
    The "frosting" is one sign of slab tampering (prying open).
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Ahhh....thanks for the info. I've never dealt with "vintage" cards, so I've been fortunate enough to have not encountered this practice.

By the way, Hijinks is an awesome word.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    The card is a PSA 4. I think some are taking the frosting thing way too far and are trying to be overly cautious. If this card were in a PSA 7 holder and looked like it does, then I would have cause for concern.

Let's examine this scenario a little more closely.

The card is graded a PSA 4, but present closer to a PSA 6. Anyone that would go through the hassel of cracking and resealing a PSA 4 would probably have pressed the surface creases in the card or tried to soak them out to see if they could garner a PSA 6. The card appears to be the correct grade and presents as well or better than most other PSA 4s. I wouldn't worry about a little inconsistency in the holder seal. Such a minimal frosting is normal.

What does irk me a bit is that some are starting to look at every auction they see to attempt to play detective and start calling out cards that are completely legit and point a finger of accusation at totally above board sellers. Sure, there are some bad eggs, but I had two of the "know-it-all's" PM me stating that a card that I recently posted in the BST and had up for auction was a "crack and switch." Considering that I bought the card in 1999, graded it in 1999 and have had it in my possession until I offered it for auction, I was a little taken aback. When I explained this to the two board members that emailed me, one accepted my explanation and the other said that they were planning on exposing me as a crook since I claimed it was my card and I must've been the one that cracked the case and switched the card with a trimmed one. Their rational was that cards that old can't "look that good" and that the case had two "frosty the snowmans on the left side of the holder."

Now, I may be a pompous, opinionated loudmouth, but there are two things that I am not and that is a thief and a seller of bad material. There are some on this board that have known me for quite some time and know what I've bought, sold and collected over the last 25 years, there are others that know of my history and impeccable reputation, and the rest just know of me from my posts on these boards, but I issue a challenge to the lone board member that called me a thief to go ahead and call me out. Post your accusations and back it up with your "proof." I await anxiously for your wisdom to come forth...

And just for the record, here is a high resolution, oversized image of the card in question (front and back):

• Options
    Scott, thats downright pathetic that someone is accusing you of such chicanery. While I admire the good detective work thats done by the vast majority of folks on the board, at times it just gets silly.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    +1 for chicanery

Trust me, I understand the paranoia some must feel. I can even understand some asking when they see something they are interested in and are being cautious. I commend them for using the resources of others. I just don't like it when it turns into an unfounded withchunt!
  • Options
    sayheykid54sayheykid54 Posts: 779 ✭✭
    Looks fine and secure to me.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>All this talk about frosted PSA cases made me look closer at my last purchase. Is there someone that is an expert at this that can look at this casing and
    tell me if this is the "so called frost" or are you guys just making me paranoid?

right side near label
    image >>

I've seen my fair share of frosted cases, many of which were actually worse than this, and they were fine. This one looks OK to me.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    FYI, if you want an example of a tampered case, here's one with tell tale signs and was confirmed by PSA as having the flips switched (not the card itself).

Note lower right side of the slab.