Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A Message from the President - PSA Seeks Grader

Hello All,

With the increased demand for our servcies, PSA is currently seeking another card grader.

This will be a full-time position.

If you have a background in trading cards and feel you have what it takes to perform, please contact me directly at joe@collectors.com.

We are always looking for great people to add to our staff.

Take care,

Joe Orlando
President
Joe Orlando
CEO, Collectors Universe, Inc.

Comments

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I could make a funny here, but I wont! Maybe by Pm if anyone is interested. Good to see some of those backed up subs are gonna get done fast! I was wondering how many graders are there?
  • Options
    SoutherncardsSoutherncards Posts: 1,384 ✭✭
  • Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    Joe, I may be interested... First, Do you people conduct background checks?
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Looks like you guys might break the record for banned members in a day. Good luck.

Lee
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    i would suggest banning lee first, mr orlando.

he is rather crass, mean and i even heard he kicked over a basket of baby bunnies one time.

respectfully submitted this 3rd day of april,

dougls c. neidermeyer

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    And will you also be adding more administrative staff, sir?

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Based on the results of my last sub I don't think I would qualify...but thanks for asking image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    I would be interested but i live in Canada. If Psa ever decides to open in Canada then i'm your man.
    Steve
    Die Hard Toronto Maple Leafs Fan !!
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    What is the pay for this type of position?
  • Options

<< <i>What is the pay for this type of position? >>

Just the shear pleasure of handling all those "rare" PSA 10's and vintage cards that we have only seen in booksimage
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Intersting, Good luck finding someone from this crew though Joe.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    I wonder what does it pay? I would in interested although it would take me 2 hrs to get there. Working to pay for gas would not be fun image
  • Options
    ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭
    Would I have to move to Califormia, or could collectors simply send their cards to me at home? Good to hear that the company continues to grow!
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Would I have to move to Califormia, or could collectors simply send their cards to me at home? Good to hear that the company continues to grow! >>

swimmin pools, movie stars..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭
    If it's a "work at home" position, I'm sold! It has to be better paying than the $7.40 I'm getting now.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Would I have to move to Califormia, or could collectors simply send their cards to me at home? Good to hear that the company continues to grow! >>

swimmin pools, movie stars.. >>

perhaps some concubinin' thrown in, too?
  • Options

<< <i>Hello All,

With the increased demand for our servcies, PSA is currently seeking another card grader.

This will be a full-time position.

If you have a background in trading cards and feel you have what it takes to perform, please contact me directly at joe@collectors.com.

We are always looking for great people to add to our staff.

Take care,

Joe Orlando
    President >>

This is an excellent P.R. move but I seriously doubt any emails from here would be seriously considered. Surely PSA has better connections than this!
  • Options
    When you're ready to open up shop on both Coasts...I'll sign up!!

Until then, you couldn't afford me!! image
  • Options
    LWMMLWMM Posts: 471
    Can interested people post here instead of emailing? I want to know who my next best friend should be.
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>Can interested people post here instead of emailing? I want to know who my next best friend should be. >>

This is exactly why no one from here will be hired.
  • Options
    TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    Where is PSA headquarters? It has been so long since I submitted. Serious question.
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Am i allowed to bring my Magic 8 Ball to work??image
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Collectors Universe/PSA is located in Santa Ana, California.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    Collectors Universe/PSA is located in Santa Ana, California.

Yea I don't get it. Operator/rep told me they're in Santa Ana as well, so why
    do they have a Newport address?
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    sheesh, what a shame.....just when my vision starts to go bad, this happens image
  • Options

<< <i>Collectors Universe/PSA is located in Santa Ana, California.

Yea I don't get it. Operator/rep told me they're in Santa Ana as well, so why
    do they have a Newport address? >>

po box.. image
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    po box..

Why not a po box in Santa Ana....maybe that would cut the time
    of receiving and the time of logging in.
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    Mr. Orlando let me introduce my self. My name is Mike but a few ex's have called me worse names. No need to go into detail. I have bought and sold cards since 1969, and while I am no expert I feel I would be an asset to your company. I am disabled and live in cincinnati-home of MR. ROSE and will be willing to work from home-Thanks for your consideration......Vince is bald 4 a reason ")
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>Vince is bald 4 a reason ") >>

he he i was rooting for lashley to win!!! oh and as a side note way to go UNDERTAKER!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options

<< <i>po box..

Why not a po box in Santa Ana....maybe that would cut the time
    of receiving and the time of logging in. >>

newport beach sounds more fun? image
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Well, I think we've just helped him assemble a 'Do not take to step 2' list.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    This thread is sad.

Many of the board members here complain about their grades, turnaround time and mechanical errors. When the company asks for your input and possible employment you ridicule them.

I applaud Joe and PSA for asking "us experts" if we would be interested in a position with them. I believe the most qualified candidates for this job are on these boards. We all submit cards. While some submit only a hundred a year, others do 1000's and learn from every submission. We can spot flaws with our naked eyes better now than we could a year ago. Three years ago I did not even know what a 10X Loupe was. Now I have two.

I don't know if someone from these boards will be hired but some good can come of this thread. Joe, many of us have full time jobs that support our habit of collecting. While moving to California would be great I just can't pull the trigger. I think having breakout focus groups with member from these boards would benefit PSA. Many of us are well versed in business, customer service, card collecting and assembly line production. All of these expertises we have can benefit PSA. What other business out there has customers so dedicated to a product that will defend it so strong they get in arguements?

Joe, I encourage you to PM some of the members of these boards to inquire on how we believe PSA could improve. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the content you would get out of a meeting like this.

So, the next time one of you complains that your card was undergraded, or why did I get a 5 when I thought it was a nine, remember how you treated Joe and the company in this thread.
  • Options
    This may be a stupid question....but doesn't the card grading business work like many other businesses in this country? Is it "frowned upon" or not feasible for PSA to "recruit" one or two of the top graders from the other guys? Even if they have been at PSA before? Money talks right??
  • Options
    FF, It's just a bunch of goofs doing standup on an internet bulletin board. Don't make the mistake and judge the lack of devotion to card collecting on that merit alone. I remember long ago when talking cards brought great fun and laughter.

Editted to add; Dave, great work on the T206s thusfar.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    passionate post by FF....here's the one and only reason i could never ever feel comfortable being a professional grader:

if i had to spend even a moment away from the process of looking thru my own stuff and choosing the cards, and making the stacks, and eliminating the sliders, and agonizing over the choices, and putting together the orders, and checking my order status virtually by the minute, and getting a woody over the results, and waiting impatiently for the postman (pant, pant)...... I WOULD DIE! image

i can appreciate the need to explore the potential right within this very group who posts here every day.....maybe there is someone amongst us who has that talent and patience to handle such a monumental position

AND......if you EVER had even one reason to complain about the diminished expectations of your own grades, this job is probably not for you

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread is sad.

Many of the board members here complain about their grades, turnaround time and mechanical errors. When the company asks for your input and possible employment you ridicule them.

I applaud Joe and PSA for asking "us experts" if we would be interested in a position with them. I believe the most qualified candidates for this job are on these boards. We all submit cards. While some submit only a hundred a year, others do 1000's and learn from every submission. We can spot flaws with our naked eyes better now than we could a year ago. Three years ago I did not even know what a 10X Loupe was. Now I have two.

I don't know if someone from these boards will be hired but some good can come of this thread. Joe, many of us have full time jobs that support our habit of collecting. While moving to California would be great I just can't pull the trigger. I think having breakout focus groups with member from these boards would benefit PSA. Many of us are well versed in business, customer service, card collecting and assembly line production. All of these expertises we have can benefit PSA. What other business out there has customers so dedicated to a product that will defend it so strong they get in arguements?

Joe, I encourage you to PM some of the members of these boards to inquire on how we believe PSA could improve. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the content you would get out of a meeting like this.

So, the next time one of you complains that your card was undergraded, or why did I get a 5 when I thought it was a nine, remember how you treated Joe and the company in this thread. >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    LWMMLWMM Posts: 471
    On a serious note, if one was to become a grader, can he/she still submit cards (or even collect PSA cards), or would the potential conflict of interest disallow it?
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>On a serious note, if one was to become a grader, can he/she still submit cards (or even collect PSA cards), or would the potential conflict of interest disallow it? >>

That would make sense but If that were the case, then why would he POST the opening on this board?
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

<< <i>On a serious note, if one was to become a grader, can he/she still submit cards (or even collect PSA cards), or would the potential conflict of interest disallow it? >>

Good point, but unfortunately conflict of interest is a fact of life in this hobby/business...Doug Allen of MastroNet has stated in many articles that he is an avid collector...many shady auction houses authenticate their own stuff...Ted Taylor was one of most respected old school collectors and now he's founded STAT Authentic who is associated with Coach's Corner. 'Nuf said. Too much money involved these days.

I can't imagine a person who seeks a job as a grader would not also be a collector. So that makes the potential list of job candidates very small. I would think that PSA would not allow anyone to grade their own cards though, and they would have to submit blindly like the rest of us.

For what it's worth I think PSA has done a fine job of maintaining a reasonable reputation for integrity despite claims in this forum of favoritism for large customers, grader of death, etc.