Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hey,That Picture looks Familiar !!!

I was looking at some of the old baseball photos on Corbis and found some of the original photos used by Topps for some of the 1950's sets. Some were easily recognizable like these 2:

1952 Topps and 1953 Topps

What cards were these 2 photos used for:

Comments

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
  • Options
    pomobileclkpomobileclk Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    In the Nellie Fox photo, thats Mantle sliding into second.

Two More

imageimage
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I like Mays in that centerfield nook at the Polo Grounds much better than on that imaginary spring training field.
  • Options
    last two....56 topps irvin and 56 mantle
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    aaron and sarni, 1956
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    Can anybody tell me how the Corbis site works? Can you buy photos, is it just to gaze at?

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    They all look familiar, but the only one I can place is the Mickey going over the wall. That's used on his 1956 Topps in the background. One of my all-time favorite cards.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    Did the Mick get hurt on that catch?

His left knee looks a little hyper extended????
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    wow. I own a 56 topps set and the 52 mays...to see these pics is awesome...i never knew the mantle card was legit...that unreal to actually see that it really WAS him jumping up for that fly ball...i just couldnt tell it was him!!!

Loth
  • Options
    Notice they airbrushed the ball in his glove thoughimage
    Collector Focus

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Notice they airbrushed the ball in his glove thoughimage >>

Did he really make the catch?
  • Options
    JdurgJdurg Posts: 997
    This is an awesome thread! If anybody has any of the cards which have those photos on them, please post them. It's neat to see the raw photo and then the card that it's used on.
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    Matt
    I believe the answer is no? He isn't Ken Griffey Jr ,now he would have made that catch while sipping on the dudes beer in the 3rd rowimage
    Collector Focus

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Matt
    He isn't Ken Griffey Jr >>

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    MAJOR props go out to pomobileclk for starting this thread.

As a 50s collector, I cannot describe how much I appreciate seeing those photos. I always wondered what the artwork was based upon.

Thank you image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    bifff257bifff257 Posts: 751 ✭✭

<< <i>MAJOR props go out to pomobileclk for starting this thread. >>

Never seen those photos before.......... Interesting stuff
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    In regard to the Mantle photo, he didn't make the catch.From the original caption Sept 1951:

Mickey Mantle Diving for Catch

Yankee outfielder Mickey Mantle seemingly walking on air, keeps his mouth open as he leaps for a try at White Sox Ed Robinson's homer into the right field stands in the 7th inning of the September 20th clash at the stadium. Although Mickey made a valiant effort to pull down the ball, it sailed into the stands, giving the White Sox a tally and a lucky fan souvenir. The Yanks took the tilt, 5-4.

Two more:

• Options
    Do you have the picture of Clemente leaping against the wall in his 1956 Topps card?
    Collecting all things Pittsburgh.

Completed my Clemente Basic Registry (2007 - 2014)!

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I was absolutely born 20 years too late!!image
  • Options
    I have not seen that Clemente photo on Corbis.

• Options
    This thread MUST be made a sticky. This is fantastic seeing these photos along with the cards that the images were used on. I think the best one thus far is the image used on the 1952 Mantle card. One of the most famous photos relating to baseball cards ever! image
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Yes, this is great stuff, keep it on the top!!
  • Options

<< <i>wow. I own a 56 topps set and the 52 mays...to see these pics is awesome...i never knew the mantle card was legit...that unreal to actually see that it really WAS him jumping up for that fly ball...i just couldnt tell it was him!!!

Loth >>

I know, me too. Always figured they just made that image up, no way Mick could leap that high - guess I was wrong! I do see they added a white area on his glove on the card to make it appear as though he caught it.

Also cool to see the pic of Mays sliding into home that was airbrushed and used on the Aaron card, I've always heard about that but have never seen the actual image until now.

I wonder if we can get the actual Clemente pic of him making that sweet catch on his card?
  • Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    Photo credit, Cobb, Austin 1909 Conlon Collection

imageimage
  • Options
    I just showed these to a coworker and she said "Wow. My fiance would love to see these!" So I downloaded them all onto my hard drive here so even when the picture links die I'll at least have the photos. Again, this thread is great to look through. image
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Can anybody tell me how the Corbis site works? Can you buy photos, is it just to gaze at? >>

From the wikipedia:Corbis is a digital imaging/stock photography company founded by Bill Gates in 1989. Its headquarters are located in Seattle, Washington. Among other company operations, Corbis archives over 15 million photographs and other media in a facility deep within a former limestone mine in Boyers, Pennsylvania (Butler County, Pennsylvania). The mine presents a secure and climate-controlled environment for the preservation of photographic media.

Images are of many types and ages. The older images are often "Royalty free"; more recent images are protected by copyright (all held by Corbis). Corbis's copyrights are expected to last a very long time, because of recently passed changes to U.S. and other copyright laws.

Images can be retrieved digitally (instantly) or physically (more slowly). Services available to anyone who can afford them (as determined by credit rating) and are billed electronically.
  • Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    Pomo, Good idea for a thread. photo credit; www.blackbetsy.com

imageimage
  • Options
    It really is remarkable how much airbrushing went on in these photos. I now wonder how many of the 'distance' photos are actually of the people the cards say they are?
  • Options
  • Options
    I nominate this thread to become a sticky image

One request to pomobileclk (and sorry in advance for sounding a tad snooty): Would you please edit your posts in which the compared picture is on top rather to the side. Because of the pictures' size, people with smaller screens will require scrolling to the right. I know it may take a little time editing but this thread has some serious potential and just makes it a tad easier to enjoy. Just hit [enter] after each pic, please image

Again, props for creating this thread image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Agreed, this thread is one of the best! image
  • Options
    I edited all the pics on this page so they are underneath. Sorry about that!image
  • Options
    TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    God I love those '56s!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    This is by far one of the most interesting threads I've followed in quite some time.
  • Options

Now if we can just get gordie to cooperate image
  • Options
    Can we find the 1953 Bowman Pee Wee Reese photo? This is the closest (I'm having problems inserting images so I'm attaching it)

Collecting all things Pittsburgh.

Completed my Clemente Basic Registry (2007 - 2014)!

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Now if we can just get gordie to cooperate image >>

Consider Geordie as having cooperated. Gotta give me a chance to get home from work!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image

Now if we can just get gordie to cooperate image >>

Consider Geordie as having cooperated. Gotta give me a chance to get home from work! >>

Who's the man?!?

Good job and thanks image
  • Options
    Wednesday morning bump as this one almost got to Page 2!!!
  • Options
    This is too cool. I had never even heard of Corbis before. There goes my productivity for the day. Outstanding. I'm so glad I finally looked at this thread.
    kev

keeping my ears open for oddball cards of Rose from the 60's and 70's.