Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1985 Topps Mini's

Anybody know anything about these? Anybody have any Cardinals that they want to get rid of? My question is this - does the mini set parallel with the regular set? In other words, are there 792 mini's, or did they just make a few? I am thinking about undertaking the task of putting a Cardinals team set together, but I can't find a checklist.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I think the mini's have only 132 cards in the set. I also think there are some that have blank backs.

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure they've been discussed on this forum before.

yes, there are 132 cards. I don't have a checklist handy. Alan Hager has a bunch of them on 1985 Topps Minis/proofs in his Ebay stores to get an idea of possible checklists for Cardinals.

I have some extra Phillies, but not any Cardinals.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there is only 132, then why this?

Ebay link

Shane

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Shawn

I have the set completed in blank and regular back. There are 132. The blank backs seem to be more scarce than the regular backs. There are also red back examples ( no green). I have some but do not know if you can complete the set that way. You can also find them with smeared backs. Miscuts are not unusual and many of the cards have very tiny, hard to detect wrinkles, but are otherwise pristine. I think the wrinkles are associated with how the sheets were rolled off the pinter. I have some duplicates, but do not think any Cardinals. Will check tonight. I know a couple of sellers in Canada who regularly have some, and could check with them if you want. They often put "team sets" on ebay
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    I dont know enough to say why. Maybe the blank backs were not part of the set, since they had a blank back how would they be numbered? I would think only the stat backs were actually part of the set since they would actually be numbered on the back. Again I dont know for sure, "only Guessing", I havent seen any of these in years, and I have a bad memory.

• Options
    This was not a set in the sense that it was ever actually issued, anyway. The Blank backs, I'm guessing, were just another production run on the mini-sized cards. Since there is no known blank back that does not have a regular-backed counterpart, I do not think it is an issue.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    The blank backs and regular backs both involve the same mini 132 card subset of the regular set

Al
  • Options
    Then why the checklist for cards 133-264?

Shane

• Options
    I think there are 2 cheklists in the "set". They are just the regular checklists from the entire set that happened to be on the 132 card test set sheet. They have no relationship to the 132 mini cards, other than they are in it

Al
  • Options

<< <i>Then why the checklist for cards 133-264? >>

I don't know, but there never has been a confirmed 1985 Topps Mini player card with blank or stat back over #132 (although the corresponding number for the regular-size set may, in fact, exceed 132 in the regular-size set)
  • Options
    I have a checklist, from the SCD Catalog, I could send you.

Al
  • Options
    Marc---I think the numbers on the regular backs stretch from #12 to # 782 in the regular set

Al
  • Options
    Will PSA grade all of the variations?
  • Options
    I have a couple of graded minis, but they are all regular backs, and I have not attempted to grade any of the blank or red backs. I assume they would treat the blank backs as proofs and not grade, but I would defer to Marc on that

Al
  • Options

<< <i>Will PSA grade all of the variations? >>

No. There is no official guide to the variations, only the stuff Alan Hager offers. PSA will grade the regular stat back versions of the card, and those only. GAI has, in the past, graded the blank back versions
  • Options

<< <i>I have a checklist, from the SCD Catalog, I could send you. >>

I forgot about looking in that. I have the one you sent me. I can look there when I get home.

Are y'all saying that PSA will not grade ANY proofs? For example - 1974 Topps Deckle Edge Proofs?

Shane

• Options
    Wow, I would like to see a Clemens or Mcgwire in those.image

• Options
    No Clemens or McGwire. There is a Schmidt, Ryan, Seaver, Carlton, Yount , Carter, Murray, Garvey, Morgan, Staub, Rice, and Marvell Wynn . The Schmidt and Ryan are the expensive ones. The Schmidt shows up on ebay from time to time. The Ryan hardly ever. The hardest commons are Toronto players, since these were an O Pee Chee issue and those players were apparently popular in Canada

Al
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Will PSA grade all of the variations? >>

No. There is no official guide to the variations, only the stuff Alan Hager offers. PSA will grade the regular stat back versions of the card, and those only. GAI has, in the past, graded the blank back versions >>

I'm glad that I read this thread because I almost bought a lot of Bill Buckner Topps mini including the white and brown backed proofs. I already have a PSA 9 stat back - so I guess that I already have the only one that PSA will grade.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Just giving this thread a reboot. PSA will grade both the blank and the stat backs (there are nine graded blank backs and one graded stat back on eBay right now).

I recently got them to add the '85 Minis to the registry, and I've sent in two submissions (both stat back) since April totaling 218 mini cards. I've done pretty well on them and hopefully will get around to scanning them and registering my set very soon (still missing five cards). I'll post a link when that's did. image
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Sweet! Cool update. Look forward to seeing some scans.
  • Options
    By the way, I finished my Cardinals team set in regular back shortly after I started this thread.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>By the way, I finished my Cardinals team set in regular back shortly after I started this thread. >>

Congrats!! image

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭
    For the two of you that have completed or nearly completed the set, I assume that you must have found the one(s) that were able to bring the cards into the hobby. Which brings me to the question, who and how did these get out?
    I had gotten the Schmidt back in the early 90's and just had it slabbed by PSA when they took submissions at White Plains. I was hoping for a 10 but got a 9.
  • Options
    Still looking for any Andy Van Slyke's

PM me if you have any extras
  • Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    Interesting thread, I know very little about these cards, ok, nothing, but just had a Ryan graded by PSA (7) and should be returning any day. Are these really that scarce?
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options

<< <i>For the two of you that have completed or nearly completed the set, I assume that you must have found the one(s) that were able to bring the cards into the hobby. Which brings me to the question, who and how did these get out?
    I had gotten the Schmidt back in the early 90's and just had it slabbed by PSA when they took submissions at White Plains. I was hoping for a 10 but got a 9. >>

I don't think I found the guy or guys who "borrowed" them from the garbage can (at least they never owned up to it). I'm convinced though that the stat backs were thrown away and recovered from the trash. The same players always show damage (creases) as if a whole stack of sheets was bent at the same place. There are four cards that I've never seen without creases, and a few more that typically have creases. Luckily none are major stars.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭
    I just love these oddball test never issued rare type card sets!
    I believe there was an estimate 100 of each of the stat backs? The Nolan Ryan is tough
    because most are secured in collections.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>For the two of you that have completed or nearly completed the set, I assume that you must have found the one(s) that were able to bring the cards into the hobby. Which brings me to the question, who and how did these get out?
    I had gotten the Schmidt back in the early 90's and just had it slabbed by PSA when they took submissions at White Plains. I was hoping for a 10 but got a 9. >>

I don't think I found the guy or guys who "borrowed" them from the garbage can (at least they never owned up to it). I'm convinced though that the stat backs were thrown away and recovered from the trash. The same players always show damage (creases) as if a whole stack of sheets was bent at the same place. There are four cards that I've never seen without creases, and a few more that typically have creases. Luckily none are major stars. >>

Which four cards are the ones that you've never seen without creases?

Shane

• Options
    I mentioned earlier in this thread that I had finished this set in regular and blank back ( My regular Ryan is good, but the blank back is miscut). I also have 40 of these in red back...no green but other wise regular stats. Not sure if the set can be completed that way or not. I also have about a half dozen in which the back colors are swirled together in a blur.

Sometimes the creases Bob mentions can be hard to spot without close inspection. They often can not be discerned from scans, or even upon casual first hand inspection

Al
  • Options

<< <i>Sometimes the creases Bob mentions can be hard to spot without close inspection. They often can not be discerned from scans, or even upon casual first hand inspection >>

Yep. I recently purchased four of them from a seller on eBay. I asked the seller very clearly if the cards had creases, but he said they were MINT. When I got them, guess what? They had creases. I returned them to the seller for a refund, but he said he never received the package so I was out my money. I neglected to use delivery confirmation when I sent the cards back (silly me). Funny how the packages without delivery confirmation always seem to go missing........

Shane,

I'd rather not say which four are hard to find uncreased since I still need to buy them. image

Bob
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    do these cards look like the regular 1985 issue but smaller? or are they different looking??
  • Options
    They are just like the regular version

Shane

• Options
    They are only hard to find because Bob has not found them yet image

Al
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If there is only 132, then why this?

Ebay link >>

kind of amazing that link that was live in 2006 on ebay is still up

• Options
    That may be because it is a store item. It hasn't got bought yet, and the seller keeps relisting.

Shane

• Options
    Scanned my cards and entered them into a registry set. I suppose the mystery of which five I still need is over. image

1985 Topps Mini Registry Set
  • Options
    Bishop, can you clarify your statement "these were an O-Pee-Chee issue" I've never heard of them and would very much like to find out more!
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    how cool is that! Thanks for all the scans, Bob. I'm guessing from your Registry set it is evident which cards are hard to find uncreased.

The Scans are fantastic -- thanks so much for providing them.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bishop, can you clarify your statement "these were an O-Pee-Chee issue" I've never heard of them and would very much like to find out more! >>

They where printed and cut at the OPC factory to test cutting equipment.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

<< <i>Bishop, can you clarify your statement "these were an O-Pee-Chee issue" I've never heard of them and would very much like to find out more! >>

SCD ( Standard catalog) describes the 85 Minis as a Canadian, O Pee Chee test production under license for Topps. When I was buiding my sets, most of my of my multiple card lots purchases, and single cards too, were from Canadian sellers, who all seemed to confirm the cards were more readliy available there. While the Ryan was the toughest to find and get ( for me), especially twice, the common cards I had the most trouble getting were from the Canadian teams, particularly Toronto. Issue may have been the wrong word....produced by for Topps ?

Al
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Bob,
    That's a great set you have there!

I'm putting together the 4 Indians cards (Stat Back) and only need Bert Blyleven to complete the set. Anyone have and extra they want to sell me?
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob...

That's a terrific set you have...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Down to needing only one card for completion (#603 Rick Manning) + one upgrade. I have a nice raw copy of #489 Bryan Clark (thanks to Bishop!) that will replace the PSA 5 that's listed in my set.

If ANY of you know of ANYONE who might know ANYONE that would have an uncreased Rick Manning, PUH-LEASE let me know. image
  • Options
    Finished!! Just received a PSA 3 Rick Manning in the mail along with a PSA 10 of Bryan Clark (I didn't end up sending Bishop's Clark in to PSA, so if he would like it back, he is welcome to it). image

If anyone finds a nicer Rick Manning (one without a big, honking crease in it), please let me know. Thanks!!! image

Edited to add: 1985 Topps Mini Registry Set Link
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Great job on that set. Congrats!

I just sent in my 4 Indians mini's with the group sub. Hope for a couple 9's.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob...

Great job on your completion. You have an amazing set!!! imageimageimage

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)