Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1934 goudey help? (warning large scan)

I have a 1934 goudey carl hubbell or I have a reprint of a 1934 goudey carl hubbell. I've had it a long time and thinking about sending it in but I hate to get a "sorry, reprint" or something like that.

Can anybody tell me if it's real or reprint by a large scan? It doesn't say reprint anywhere and the ink pattern looks similar to some 35 national chicles I have, but I want to be sure.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Jim,

Looks legit. from that scan thusfar. Can you show the back?

editted to request; Also, the "Lou says..." portion?

*NOT exclusive to all counterfeits, but when held up to a bright light, the fake will OFTEN be translucent. The originals are a dense stock and very little, if any, light would show.

ps. nice gloss on the hubble.

*Now the real Henry is obvious, in spite of a poor photo and lighting.

imageText
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the fast response! I'm not sure the gloss is that good, it's in a sleeve and that might have made it look nicer.

Here's a few more, I used links instead of putting the scans, so I didn't kill bandwidth image

Lou Gehrig says
    Back where people erase the word reprint sometimes
    scan of whole back of card
    Whole front of card, smaller scan
  • Options
    Here's a pic, bad picture but you get the idea. The hole isn't a hole, it's a reflection off the sleeve.
    I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

• Options
    I haven't a Hubble to compare, but from the scans alone, I am confident it's legit. Good luck confirming the auto.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim

I know very little about truly authenticating a card but if this were a cheap "reprint" - the "H" in Hubbell would be print dots also.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I don't know much about these cards, wish I could afford them!

I got it years ago and it was already signed, now I'm hoping it's really Hubbell who signed it.

Big smile here, thanks again!
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks guys! I don't know much about these cards, wish I could afford them!

I got it years ago and it was already signed, now I'm hoping it's really Hubbell who signed it.

Big smile here, thanks again! >>

Jim

Have ya got a small scan with the auto?

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>[Have ya got a small scan with the auto?

mike >>

Sure do, Mike. I think I have another hubbell here somewhere but couldn't find it.
    I'll start looking. I know that one is on a reprint.

• Options

Jim

My guess is that it's real - he may have signed it on the fly since he crossed one of the "Ls" but look at the way he makes his "C" in Carl - it's exactly the same IMO.

I know squat about authenticating autos but these look very similar.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike that's a nice check!

If they knew when they signed checks how much more they would be worth later on!!
  • Options
    Sig appears good upon comparison. Typical of the tremulous nature of the elderly sig. (Cheap phone bill!).

Mike; The appearance of a crossed "L" is the pitchers mound border of the original print.

Be careful, there have been laser copies that won't exhibit the usual dot matrix pattern of the text. As the value of vintage increases, the crooks level of skill does likewise.

Jim, Very nice HOF example. I would love to have it.
  • Options
    Thanks again guys. Really made my day!
  • Options
    I have seen a hubbell auto at the VIP room at SBC. The C in Carl is pretty unique. It makes the bottom part of the C pretty squared off rather than rounded and then it slopes downward. I have a Hubbell Auto 33 Goudey. Yours looks real but it is somewhat sloppy meaning that it was probably signed in his later years in life or while he was on the run. Either way, a very nice pickup. I would say that its very likely to be authentic.
    -Ryan
  • Options

<< <i>Mike that's a nice check!

If they knew when they signed checks how much more they would be worth later on!! >>

Jim

It's not mine - I took it off ebay.

As it goes for value and later on? Sorry I'm cluess. I do have a few checks that don't come up very often but have not had them authenticated.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    The sig looks legit but that's a near death signature if I've ever seen one.
  • Options
    He was 85 and had a car accident after a heart attack or stroke, died of injuries from the crash. I think he hit a light pole.

I hope I get to be 85 and have a sloppy signature. image