Beware of the "other" PSA!

Just came across this one on ebay...

1952 Mays "P.S.A. 8.0"

Steve

Comments

• Options
    PSA should sue their asses into poverty
  • Options
    PSA should look into this - this company is trying to use their name recognition to sell their grading.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    DhjacksDhjacks Posts: 343 ✭✭
    If I'm reading their web-site correctly, they are grading a scan of the card only. They don't even physical view the card, nor do they holder it.
    Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

Our client Mr. Andrew Carnegie has been left 250,000 baseball cards from 1952 to 1995

and i bet 249,950 of them are from 1988 and up! lol
    hey didnt andrew carnegie die around 1900 or so?
    I think he built the library here in town
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Somebody find Joe, this is an outrage!

The idiots couldn't even think up their own company name.

idiots!!!
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    The guy says he's selling 250,000 cards, and he's only listed 9 items with a feedback rating of 1.

hmmm... I smell a scam!
  • Options

This is an ugly holder!
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    Good gravy, that is BLATANT. This will last until tomorrow morning, when PSA's lawyers get in touch with this guy.
  • Options
    JJacksJJacks Posts: 759

Funny. Here is something from their website:

"The certificate is sent in HTM format and will allow the seller to change the ownership on the certificate and forward it to the buyer. If the PSA-DNA print doesn't match it will be up to you to correct the problem with the seller."

So, you can scam them, and get a "PSA 10" and then when your buyer scans the card and finds out it wasn't the same card, they can come after you! As a buyer, I don't think I like that idea!

JJacks
    Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • Options
    What a complete joke!!!!!

Mike
  • Options
    JJacksJJacks Posts: 759

Did you see what they do about the back of the card?imageimageimageimageimageimage

Again, from THEIR website:

"We assume the reverse of the card is in good condition and will not effect the overall grading of the card. If the reverse of the card is a controversial point between the buyer and seller we will evaluate it at N/C. This could lower the initial grading if the reverse is unsatisfactory."

imageimageimageimageimageimage

JJacks
    Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • Options
    We assume the reverse of the card is in good condition and will not effect the overall grading of the card. If the reverse of the card is a controversial point between the buyer and seller we will evaluate it at N/C. This could lower the initial grading if the reverse is unsatisfactory.

lol nah the reverse does not need effect a cards grade!! lol
    Good for you.
  • Options
    hey i hear an echo in here...........sorry about that
    Good for you.
  • Options
    andrew carnegie.........lol!!!!!!
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    My favorite touch is the "TM" notation by the PSA/DNA. Trademark, my eye.
  • Options
    Their website is hilarious, you can actually receive a grade of 7.8, what are those people smoking? 7.8?imageimageimage
    Culpepper to ?, only God knows at this point!
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Look closely at the lettering on that 1961 Clemente... It DOESN'T match the original issue card... someone is playing some serious games here... I wouldn't be suprised if the item up for bid is actually a scan of an original card... It also doesn't look like it's in a holder... if so, that sucker is about 8" tall!

Be afraid... be very afraid.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    what the hell does THIS mean? i dont get it

<< <i>PSA-DNA final grading is the average grading of the following four categories CORNERS, EDGES, SURFACE AND CENTERING. If any of the four grades are less than eight, that grade will be doubled and the average grade calculated out of five categories. >>

·p_A·
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << PSA-DNA final grading is the average grading of the following four categories CORNERS, EDGES, SURFACE AND CENTERING. If any of the four grades are less than eight, that grade will be doubled and the average grade calculated out of five categories. >>
    And then if we find that we still cannot derive a suitable grade, we take the combination of the 4 least averages and the permutation of the greater 5 categories, take the cubed mode, divide it by the sum of the medians, and take the square root of the greater number of categories and multiply by the derivative of the limit. Are we clear, are we clear!!! CRYSTAL.
    Mikeimage
    Mike
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Thanks for the "heads-up". I swear I almost fell for this and was setting snipes.
  • Options

<< <i><< PSA-DNA final grading is the average grading of the following four categories CORNERS, EDGES, SURFACE AND CENTERING. If any of the four grades are less than eight, that grade will be doubled and the average grade calculated out of five categories. >>
    And then if we find that we still cannot derive a suitable grade, we take the combination of the 4 least averages and the permutation of the greater 5 categories, take the cubed mode, divide it by the sum of the medians, and take the square root of the greater number of categories and multiply by the derivative of the limit. Are we clear, are we clear!!! CRYSTAL.
    Mikeimage >>

ohh.. i see.. thanks for clearing that up, Mike!
    i think im gonna submit for 3 day turnaround time @$7.00/card (even though 1 day turnaround is the same price)
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Pandrews

<< <i>i think im gonna submit for 3 day turnaround time @$7.00/card >>

You have learned well from the Master, Grasshopper, you see you have chosen wisely: the 3 day turnaround is calculated using Einstein's theory of special relativity where they employ a different time/space reference and continuum; taking into account the coefficient of thermal expansion in the flux capacitor - your crap will arrive there exactly 3.5 seconds earlier!
    Mikeimage
    Mike
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    1600x enlargement makes the image they view approximatly 333 feet wide by 466 feet high (that's about the hieght of most 30 story buildings, as a frame of reference)

they must be the biggest grading company ever image

..........but man-o-man think of the eye appeal.

edited to add: I'd hate to be the grader stuck doing tall boys
  • Options
    Note that the certificate for the Mays card is for a "Willy" Mays card. That straightens all of this up image.

This is unbelievable, but not too far off of the people who are selling the graded pictures from magazines and guides.

Keith
  • Options
    Everybody should email them, i did and heres their response. It looks we should all switch to this service as its the wave of the future.

"we assessed the possibility of subjective grading vs there method
    we do not want any unhappy or legal problems selling mr carnegies cards
    enlarging and grading the card based on a scan 1600X the normal size is " in our opinion" the only proper method of grading - they wont be going away as they have 250,000 items to grade, hockey baseball and football - being tech savy it amazes me how anyone could accept subjective evaluations regardless of who does them

secondly if the card is sold to a third party they can contact them and send a scan of the card
    if the card scan they send does not match the one they have on file the person can be assured what he purchased is not what was sent to him or her - they charge nothing for the service of DNA ing the said card

the site is self explanatory and we feel all will use this process in the future
    have a great day"
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    That's some funky Kool-Aid they are drinking up there...

<< <i>Everybody should email them, i did and heres their response. It looks we should all switch to this service as its the wave of the future.

"we assessed the possibility of subjective grading vs there method
    we do not want any unhappy or legal problems selling mr carnegies cards
    enlarging and grading the card based on a scan 1600X the normal size is " in our opinion" the only proper method of grading - they wont be going away as they have 250,000 items to grade, hockey baseball and football - being tech savy it amazes me how anyone could accept subjective evaluations regardless of who does them

secondly if the card is sold to a third party they can contact them and send a scan of the card
    if the card scan they send does not match the one they have on file the person can be assured what he purchased is not what was sent to him or her - they charge nothing for the service of DNA ing the said card

the site is self explanatory and we feel all will use this process in the future
    have a great day"
    image >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    It appears as if someone has bid on it, assuming it's a legitimate bidder.
  • Options
    Anyone have the website? I missed the auction. It was pulled before I had a chance to see it.
    Move along folks.......Nothing to see here.
  • Options
    The company's website is psadnacards.com. Doubt you'll see the pic of the card in question, but you'll see the info on the company.
  • Options

<< <i>enlarging and grading the card based on a scan 1600X the normal size is " in our opinion" the only proper method of grading >>

I don't know if I want to see ANYTHING up that close!image
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>The company's website is psadnacards.com. Doubt you'll see the pic of the card in question, but you'll see the info on the company. >>

http://psadnacards.com/

and the FUNNIEST part is the fine print....

<< <i>This site Copyright © 2001 by PSA-DNA. All rights reserved.
    >>

imageimage
  • Options
    That is a nice Clemente Reprint. You are right about the lettering. Is is different than the original card, particularly with the word "Outfiele" not centered the same.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    i emailed them..

<< <i>Why is the 1961 Topps Roberto Clemente that you show on your homepage not a real 1961 Topps card? The lettering/font in Robertos name and position is completely different. >>

i'll let ya know whatsup

here's a real clemente card

·p_A·
  • Options
    Well, if the answer to Delgadofan's email was any indication then the answer to yours should at least be entertaining if nothing else. Assuming of course that they answer. The pulled auction is something that I am curious about however. Wonder why they yanked it?
  • Options
    charliehustle14charliehustle14 Posts: 425 ✭✭✭
    Wow, what a joke! In case anyone wants to know, I looked up their registration information for their website doing a "whois" query for psadnacards.com:

Administrative
    Gary Robertson
    7774 Talbot Trail
    Blenheim, ON N0P 1A0
    Canada -- CA
    email: garrober@enoreo.on.ca
    phone: 519-676-2096
    fax: 519-676-2096

Maybe I'll email ol' Gary and see how his buddy Andrew Carnegie is doing.

charlie
  • Options
    Andrew Carnegie.......That never fails to crack me up when I read it.............
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Let me see if I got this right.

Their grading table example says the sample grades are 9,9,8,9 and the final grad e is 8.9. Grades of 9,9,8,9 total 35 and divided by 4 catagories is a rating of 8.75.

Where do they get 8.9?

What a complete joke of a service.
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    murcerfan - they really don't have that many problems seeing all of the card. Their monitor is Frank's 2000 Inch TV, so they only need to scroll down or across a few times. image
    Now the file size of their server is a different story. I don't want to think about the space a .bmp that size would take up.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>Andrew Carnegie.......That never fails to crack me up when I read it............. >>

why?

what am I missing?
    imageimage
  • Options

We are aware of this company and are currently working with eBay in order to cancel their auctions. In addition, as you can imagine, we will be pursuing them - vigorously.

Take care,

Joe Orlando
    PSA President
    Joe Orlando
    CEO, Collectors Universe, Inc.
  • Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭

<< <i>We are aware of this company and are currently working with eBay in order to cancel their auctions. In addition, as you can imagine, we will be pursuing them - vigorously.

Take care,

Joe Orlando
    PSA President >>

As we would say in the "gaming" circle... WOOT and PWND!
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe,

Thank you for the reply, and I'm glad I could help in some small wayimage

Steve
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeart,

Andrew Carnegie died in 1919. Whether or not this guy was trying to imply that these cards were the Andrew Carnegie's or just a Andrew Carnegie isn't clear. I'm sure that there are plenty of Andrew Carnegie's out there. It just made the auction seem a little more bogus, and thus quite ironic.

Brian
  • Options
    Now that is funny. I read over a few things on their site and came across this in the "competitor myths" section.

"No more ... smoke and mirror evaluations"

Isn't this whole company basically smoke and mirrors? Just a way to use a reputable name in the card industry.

Thought that was kinda ironic.

Philip
    Move along folks.......Nothing to see here.
  • Options

<< <i>We will also prove that there are five grading levels and only five. >>

What does this mean? It sounds like they're saying you can only get a 1,2,3,4,or 5, but the examples say otherwise
  • Options

<< <i>We are aware of this company and are currently working with eBay in order to cancel their auctions. In addition, as you can imagine, we will be pursuing them - vigorously.

Take care,

Joe Orlando
    PSA President >>

GO JOE! and keep up informed, if ya dont mind..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    garrober@enoreo.on.ca

this is that clowns email address
    Good for you.