Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1959 Fleer Ted Williams Box on BBCE... Group Rip??

We should set up a group rip for the 1959 Fleer Ted Williams Box that bbce just got it!!
19000 divided by 24 packs is just under 800 per pack minus any kind of discount (doubt there will be one on this rare of an item)

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As tempting as that sounds, 800 bucks a pack is way too much for a group rip, imo, and I think a box of this scarcity should probably be kept intact.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW! Very nice, but Grote is right, too expensive for a group rip. Would be a shame to break it up anyway.

• Options
    That box intact should be in a museum...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Just under $800 per pack is still wayyyyyyyy too much for those packs. And if you were to bust them open, you would lose even more (PSA 8's of those cards are averaging $20 per card). I doubt very seriously that card #68 is in any of those packs.
  • Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    I hear ya guys about breaking the box down into packs. It would be fun though. It would be stupid at that price to bust the pack or packs open.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just under $800 per pack is still wayyyyyyyy too much for those packs. And if you were to bust them open, you would lose even more (PSA 8's of those cards are averaging $20 per card). I doubt very seriously that card #68 is in any of those packs. >>

Maybe I should go back and add to the set I started some time ago
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    That is a great looking box! I agree, I hope whoever gets it leaves it intact.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Why is card #68 so much more expensive then the others?
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe I should go back and add to the set I started some time ago >>

You should Halos Fan. I had the complete set. If you build it in a 6-8 range, it is VERY affordable. There are a couple of cards that are high, but for the most part, you can pick up high grades cards in this particular set for next to nothing.

<< <i>Why is card #68 so much more expensive then the others? >>

Card #68 features Ted Williams and Red Sox GM Bucky Harris. While Ted was under liscense to Fleer, Mr. Harris was not, so Fleer had no legal right to use his image on a card. The card was pulled quickly after production to prevent a lawsuit. It is still unclear as to how many made it out.....
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Card #68 was pulled from production early in the first run due to a lilcensing contract violation with Topps, but you could still send in for it. From what
    I understand most of the original production (that did not get sent out to those who requeted it) was destroyed at the end of the year.

At 6 cards per pack, even if you pulled PSA 9s on every card when you ripped these packs you'd be hard pressed to recover an $800/pack outlay.

The only recent price I found on a slabbed pack was from a PSA 7 pack last fall (November, 2011). That one sold for $699. From what I hear this
    box is very high quality, so the box probably grades out as 7s, 8s, 9s and maybe even a 10 or two.

If 24 people wanted to get slabbed packs I would think that as long as Steve offers his usual 10% off (getting the cost down to around $725/pack)
    there is probably "fair" value here. Otherwise I expect it will await someone who is willing to buy the whole box.

Dave
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭
    Ya .. my set is all 8s ... almost 20% done but I lose focus
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #68 Isnt possible in that wax box. Like said earlier it was in the early production when it was pulled. And during the early production they were 8 card wax packs. These are 6 card packs. You can only pull #68 Ted SP in an 8 card pack.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>#68 Isnt possible in that wax box. Like said earlier it was in the early production when it was pulled. And during the early production they were 8 card wax packs. These are 6 card packs. You can only pull #68 Ted SP in an 8 card pack. >>

Great info!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>#68 Isnt possible in that wax box. Like said earlier it was in the early production when it was pulled. And during the early production they were 8 card wax packs. These are 6 card packs. You can only pull #68 Ted SP in an 8 card pack. >>

Nice tidbit Derek!

Dave
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I'd pay a strong price for the empty box.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I totally forgot about the display box!! I guess if we did a group break, then Steve would keep the box and just divvy up the pack?? I imagine the display box would be worth some serious coin....
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the info on #68. Some have decided to bail on this board, but its great info like this that keeps me here!
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options

<< <i>thanks for the info on #68. Some have decided to bail on this board, but its great info like this that keeps me here! >>

Yes, it is a great forum.

Perhaps "some" might learn to live-and-let-live here in our communal sandbox.

Dave
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    like any rare item...it has to do with the rarity. In this case it is not about what you may get if you bust packs--that's not why you buy this item.

What an incredible wax box to own.
  • Options

<< <i>like any rare item...it has to do with the rarity. In this case it is not about what you may get if you bust packs--that's not why you buy this item.

What an incredible wax box to own. >>

+1

Dave
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would never talk bad about a box like that. I was just going on the topic of the #68 SP.
    Very very neat box
  • Options
    jgrigalijgrigali Posts: 364 ✭✭
    ah. If only I had enough disposable income for an early 80s Porsche....or a box of cardboard image
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd pay a strong price for the empty box. >>

That empty box can be yours for 19 large. image
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure where this whole $800 a pack talk is coming from. It clearly says they are only 5 cents per pack right there on 'em...

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    handyman

meant no disrespect to you or nyone else really....and BTW, great info on that 5 versus 8 card pack. Tha's probably why there are NO 8 card packs out there...
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    One of my biggest if not the biggest hobby regret was selling my Ted Williams set W/68.I paid $115 for it in 1984 at a card show in Cooperstown during its induction ceremony.I ended up making a nice profit on the set but still wish I had not sold it but needed the money for another project.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)