Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Walinger studio portrait identified

Some of you may or may not remember this, but I had asked for help in identifying the player in a studio portrait I own.

I got back from a week in Vegas Wednesday morning and had some wonderful news waiting for me from Scott Jeter.

Thanks to his tireless help and detective work (I can't thank him enough), the riddle of my Walinger studio portrait has been solved. In additon to Scott, I'd like to thank the following people for all their help as well (in no particular order, but all supplied valuable information to the quest)...Bob Hoie, Marshall Fogel, TJ from TJs Collectibles, Jim Nitz, Ted (BlackSoxFan), Gary Sheckard,
Scott Mosley, Bill Hickman, Freddy Berowski (Baseball HOF), David Rudd, Barry Sloate, and Mark Armour. Heres the proof Scott supplied that convinced me.

He first identified the medal by finding Nick Altrock's 1906 Chicago White Sox medal (and I looked and looked). Here that is along with the one from my photo (if you look close enough, you can make out "White Sox" in mine).

Altrocks

fob in my photo

From there, he was able to zero in on Ed Walsh....heres some photos of Ed he found online along with mine.

Walsh1

Walsh2

Walsh3

Studio1

Studio2

Studio3

Studio4

Chicago White Sox from 1904 - 1916 and finished his career with the Boston Braves in 1917. My guess is it was taken very early in his career, probably shortly after the 1906 season.

Again, thanks to all, I'm very happy its been identified. Keith
Collecting - n2, n13, n28, n29, n43, n162, n184, t3, t6, t9, t200, tobacco albums, tobacco advertising cards, tobacco banners (that picture the 19th century card sets).

Comments

• Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

How did you come into possession of a great find?
  • Options
    Always happy to help! It was actually fun because I managed to learn something new during the search. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    I got it from a Jimmy Sheckard collector who owed me. It originally sold at a Hunt auction (near Philadelphia) represented as Sheckard of the Cubs wearing his World Championship fob. I had my doubts and started digging for solid answers a couple of months ago.

I live in the area Jimmy Sheckard was born, grew up, and eventually retired to and got in touch with a relative. He had a great cabinet card of Sheckard and it became clear to me the person in my studio photograph wasn't him.

I knew the key was identifying that fob, Scott accomplished that and from there he was able to zero in on Walsh image.

Taken by a fairly well known portrait photographer in Chicago (I found out he photographed a couple of military generals as well as President Coolidge), its got to be one of the best "early career" shots of Walsh.

Keith

Collecting - n2, n13, n28, n29, n43, n162, n184, t3, t6, t9, t200, tobacco albums, tobacco advertising cards, tobacco banners (that picture the 19th century card sets).
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Great Story!!

I own a baseball glove and and a pair of shoes of Charles Deal (relative). He played pro ball in the mid teens. He was in the 1914 World Series playing for Boston. He was the winning run in Game 4 when a pop up was misplayed with 2 outs in the 9th inning for the only run of the game. He was also in the 1918 World Series and got a hit off of Babe Ruth. I have a few letters he wrote after winning the 1914 Series. He stated that he was amazed that his team held the best hitters of Philly like 6 for 42 if i recall right.