Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Topps Salesman Sample questions.

Hi guys.
Do any of yall know anything about these type cards? I have a Jackie Robinson from 1956 and havent been able to find much information on. I have seen full sheets from 1955 Bowman and 1964 Topps. And I saw a 1957 Topps W Ford on ebay that had a Drysdale on the back.
I did fine a 1956 Ernie Banks on here Banks. But it does not have the same wording as mine does. Also the Jackie doesnt seem to be hand cut? Not sure?
Are any of these issues in the pop report? I have not been able to locate any of them. Also does anyone know how many different Salesman type cards were made. I mean were they only Banks and Robinson. Does anyone have a list?
Any info would be very kind.
Thanks guys.

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Aaagggh, just wrote a long post and accidentally deleted before posting!

Topps issued Salesman Samples (SS from here on out) from '52 to '67, and Bowman in '54 and '55. Typically they were 3 card panels with ad copy on the back. '54-55 Topps and '54 and '55 Bowman had stickers adhered to the back with ad copy. Additionally '55 Topps was issued with a '55 Doubleheader stapled to the back. More on this later.
    '54 Bowman and '56 Topps were 4 card panels. '60 Topps was issued as a 3 card panel and 8 card panel.

In later years the back of the panel would feature the back of a card that didn't relate to the card on the other side of it. The backs (with the exception of those issued with stickers) were standard within the year, the fronts typically were from the first printing of the set, usually the first series. There are different combos available of player fronts as you will see below.

The current prices of these vary widely- they can go for as low as a few hundred (Bowmans and '55 Topps without the doubleheader) the over $10k for some of the scarcer ones and/or key players on front. PSA will grade them, but only as "authentic" and as such won't set up a registry set since you can't "compete" without a numerical grade.

Just because a set is cut into a 3 card panel doesn't mean it's a salesman sample. '53 Bowman, '60 Fleer, and '48 Leaf Boxing are just 3 of the sets that have 3 card panels represented as SS's, but they are not.

'55 Topps panels have been slabbed as authentic by PSA without the stapled doubleheader. After jumping thru many hoops they finally slabbed mine with it. Just be aware that that year is supposed to have that, and if it doesn't it should be significantly less.

Single, cut up cards of panels often appear for sale, but IMO they have little value as SS's but are a nice companion piece to the set.

Here's a few SS's from my collection. I'm always interested in buy or trading for these should anyone have any available.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimageimageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimageimageimage

imageimage

imageimageimage

imageimage

imageimageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Those are some great reference pic's. thanks for posting them.
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    This looks like the card that goes on top of your card.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure enough it does.
    Where did you get that image or is it yours?
  • Options
    Wow, awesome thread!
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    I found it online. Here's a Hank Aaron.1956 Aaron
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    These are some really cool pieces. I would love to add a 1967 sample someday.
  • Options

Thanks again
    Also if anyone is a member of worthpoint. Could you post what the aaron sold for? And this one?

Other card
  • Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    The Boyer sold for $150 on 3/10/13 and the Aaron sold for $500 on 4/1/13.
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options
    SO it looks like to make a full sheet it goes
    Banks
    Boyer
    Robinson
    ??
    Does that look like a full salesman sheet to yall?
    Can anyone photoshop them to make an example? The wording on the backs.
    I think this will make 2 different possible examples as the Aaron is a different type of salesman sample.
    So we have 2 different types I think.
  • Options
    Please send me an email to jehall51@zoominternet.net. Thanks.
  • Options
    Griffins: Please send me an email to jehall51@zoominternet.net. Thanks.
  • Options

Ok this is what I came up with. I dont have photoshop so it is a bit rough.

Vois1 is right it looks like the Boyer came from my card? What do yall think. The boyer looks wavy but the wording seems to go together perfectly?

So here is what a 1956 Sample sheet as a whole looks like?