Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1975 Topps Grocery Cellos???

Must have missed that, maybe they were so rare Topps didn't release them till now??

1975 Grocery Cellos

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Yeeeeeeah, nothing like some Reynold's wrap and a hairdryer to earn yourself some extra cash. I'm sure there are many Ryans, Bretts, and Younts to be had here!
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That just shows how easy it is to make pre 1969 cellos.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of the fake pre-69 ones are done using that 3M stuff that is designed to be put over windows in the winter to help hold the heat in. It shrinks very nicely with a hair blower, and it can be discolored pretty easily also.

The guy with the '75 packs spent a lot of time cooking them up.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭
    Ummm, ummm, real cello packs are supposed to have that cello pack logo Topps always used in the 70s and 80s... image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ummm, ummm, real cello packs are supposed to have that cello pack logo Topps always used in the 70s and 80s... image >>

...and didn't most cellos have more then 12 cards in them??
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Some cellos did in fact come without the logo. Not saying that these are legit but for the sake of information.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Some cellos did in fact come without the logo. Not saying that these are legit but for the sake of information.

Steve >>

These could be legit. I think. Im no expert on these though. But I do know there is rack packs that had each "stack" individually wrapped without any markings. Maybe he split them up as he cherry picked collation pattern stacks.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I offered him a Best Offer on all the packs....$0.01 each. I hope he takes it! I say they are fake, he has GAI Graded wax for sale so he knows he would get more that way if they are legit. He would atleast GAI the pack with Bench on the front or sell it in an individual auction.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I do know for a fact that there was a dealer in Warren Michigan that was selling cellos in the early 80s similar to the ones shown and described.I bought a couple packs myself and was able to pull a Brett from one of the packs.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Someone ask Steve from BBC. Unsure if he was referring to these packs when he said this...

bbcexchange (13526)

Watch
    Ignore (1 of 5) Some Heads Up
    Feb 4, 2007 4:55 AM
    Hello everyone!
    I'm out on the road this weekend on the East Coast, looking at some collections. I finally got some time to get on the boards here to give everyone some type of update.
    First of all, I recently got some packs to authenticate that you can probably be on the lookout for. They are the ever-not-so-popular grocery cellos. This time is was 1975 Topps baseball(non-mini). I have not seen these yet(as we all know about the bogus 1970-1972 Topps grocery cellos). Therefore, I would assume you can be ready to see these for sale on ebay. Stay away, just like the other years. I do have to say that whoever is making these is doing a very good job trying to get them through. The seals are just like the good 1975 Topps baseball cellos.
    As far as crossovers go with PSA, I wanted to touch on that subject. If I'm going to cross a pack over to PSA from GAI, I need to basically be able to tell 110% that I am confident about it. Larry, you are correct in saying that it's very difficult to see through the GAI holder on wax packs. If I can't see it, it's not going to be crossed. Even if I can see the seal, there is no fence feeling on it. I have to be convinced 100% about it. As far as cello, it's a little easier because you can clearly see the seals. However, it is tough to see the edges on the cello to inspect the cards. Again, I'm only crossing it if I can say with certainty that it's legit. I know all of you here would prefer I just refuse to cross a pack than take any risk whatsoever. Also, so you know, it seems that most people who have attempted to cross are usually trying to get the GRADE crossed on a damaged pack. Therefore, even though I DONT grade the packs, I can pretty much reject crossovers on packs that have a high grade but were damaged due to the movement of the gum.
    As far as the 57 cellos go, I agree with Larry again. I have only seen legit Topps cellos in that era with the top/bottom seals. I have had the Topps Guild packs and they are the exception. Now again, anything would be possible. We all know that Topps did some weird things at the seasons end. However, could you imagine the perception if I authenticated a side/side seal cello? It would be awful! With all the bad graded cellos out there damaging the market, it just can't be done here. I would have to be convinced with a sealed case find, information directly from Topps, or some other miracle to even consider otherwise.
    Larry also pointed out that being 100% correct, 100% of the time is impossible. Until JC himself walks on this earth, that will never change! I'm doing my best possible to get this all done right!!

Thanks, Steve

imageimageimage
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve is 100% correct. Topps did not produce "grocery" cellos in 1975 (or in 1971, 1972, 1974, etc.) for that matter. Unlike later years, Topps did not produce indidually wrapped cellos within the racks packs during that era. Some of these packs may include NM star cards to make them seem authentic, but they are not authentic Topps product.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    linky-do

So this is fake then too?
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Yeah, but "FREE SHIOING".

I'm thinking of bidding just for that. It's been a while since I've had a good shioing.