Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A Poll for the Message Board regarding SMR and the Web

Hello everyone,

One of our goals at PSA is to not only improve our core services like authentication, grading and the set registry, but to also improve the quality of the information we provide.

One way we provide information is through SMR with pricing, articles and guides. The SMR is something that is very important to us but the world is changing. The web has obviously become the preferred venue for news, information, etc.

That being said, you would be amazed at how many people still prefer print versus web. I do think there may be a way to satisfy most people with a different approach.

Here is my question to you...

Assuming the pricing pages and quailty of the articles improve, would you prefer...

A) To have the SMR prices updated more quickly on the web, perhaps weekly, and reduce the size of the SMR dramatically. In other words, focus more on articles and news with the printed version and, perhaps, remove pricing entirely since the print will always be behind the web anyway.

B) To leave the SMR alone but keep the web pricing as current as possible.

C) To leave everything as is, just continue to improve the quality of the articles and pricing.

Currently, we do not update the pricing on the web before the printed version is released (due to the print/shipping delay) but this can change very quickly.

I am open to any other suggestions.

I do appreciate your feedback and time.

Sincerely,

Joe Orlando
President
Joe Orlando
CEO, Collectors Universe, Inc.

Comments

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    A

SMR has lost ground to a well liked online service and to somewhat still new magazine, as far as prices go. What it does a good at is the articles. Focusing on what you do right, seems the best solution to me.

I think this has been discussed before, but I believe PSA/SMR needs a partnership with VCP. This would instantly turn a weakness, into a strong point.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    My choice is B.
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see more articles and news- I vote for A!
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    Option A

• Options
    I vote for option "A"

When it comes down to it, I always end up looking for pricing on something that I know is current and as close to accurate as possible, such as VCP and ebay completed auctions. I do use SMR printed pricing as a reference sometimes, but I would much rather have SMR provide more of a card collector's reference on collecting (as you currently have a particular set featured, and details on that set), rather than pricing that is hard to make accurate in a monthly release.

Thanks Joe, for allowing me to voice my opinion and for continueing to improve your services!
    "I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate" -Raul Duke

ebay i.d. clydecoolidge - Lots of vintage stars and HOFers, raw, condition fully disclosed.
  • Options
    I vote for 'A ' as well. The articles are always great in each issue. However, I find the pricing does not reflect the market. It is a large portion of the magazine that I do not look at. A smaller magazine with more focus on articles and news and less on prices would be fantastic.
    Thanks for asking.

Jeff
  • Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    D) All of the above.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why reach out to us? I thought the message board only made up 1% of the PSA population. image
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 659 ✭✭✭
    My vote is for A ............ although I've let my membership laspe , I will be renewing it soon in the near future when I have the extra funds ! Miss the online pop reports and pricing , and love reading the articles in the mag ! Bring on more card related stories Joe !
    Dave ' Robbie' Robinsonimage
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I also vote for A and removing the pricing from the magazine completely. I enjoy the articles much more than the pricing (which is only somewhat accurate at best in it's current form).

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    My vote is also A..... I would doubt that many use the SMR for a price guide anyway, especially with sites such as VCP and cardpricer. I love the articles and have thought that it would be cool to make a publication with all the articles that SMR has ever had. Make a book with, say, all football articles in one place, hockey in another, baseball....etc...

Just my opinion..

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest putting more former Major League scrub infielders on the cover.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I actually use the pricing at shows and a ton of dealers till use it so having it online would make it harder for me. That being said, I think more articles would be great. Maybe you do a price guide quarterly but do articles monthly.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Choice "A" sounds about right.

BUT, I would be a little concerned that some/many advertisers would complain
    about lost "impressions." Because the prices are frequently viewed by subscribers,
    the advertisers get TONS of repeat impressions on each user. Removing prices
    could turn the magazine into a one-time-look vehicle for the advertisers.

Additionally, most/many copies of SMR have multiple lateral-circulations. IF the
    pricing is removed, there is little/no reason for folks to handoff previous issues
    to non-subscribers. This amounts to a de facto circulation reduction, and could
    lead to advertisers looking for rate cuts.

I need my 25-cent dividend, and don't want you to have to reduce ad-rates due
    to lost views. IF any potential offset in rates is recouped by cutting pages and
    reducing production work, "A" might be the correct choice.

Or, we could do nothing.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    E) How about hiring graders who actually know what they're doing
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    I vote "A."
    Brett
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    More articles.

SMR prices are generally either too high for slow moving, lower condition cards or too low for low pop or fast moving cards. There are enough sales through ebay and the various auction houses to see what cards are actually selling for. I would rather read interesting articles than see how my PSA 8 Tony Gwynn RC has stayed the same SMR value for the 50th consecutive month
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    I would vote for Option A.

That said, it doesn't make much difference how and when you update prices if you aren't willing to spend more time and $$$ ensuring their accuracy. Far too many prices in SMR bear no resemblence to reality and are educated guesses at best.

I'm always amused to see prices in SMR for cards in grades in which either they do not exist (many 1952 Topps in PSA 9, for example), or in which they exist in such small numbers that few, if any, transactions ever take place.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    OPTION A
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote option A , the pricing is not what i look to this for.I like it for the articles about how and why people build the collections they have, and the articles on the off beat issues i have never seen before, much less collected.

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    The correct answer is
    Since we all know that printed materials are dieing a slow death you should:
    1: Print the paper version quarterly so we will still have a rough idea of prices if we find ourselves at a show.
    2: Place more emphasis on quality articles in the printed version. (So I have something to read on plane flights)
    3: Start to update the on-line pricing weekly or even faster. i.e. VCP. Place much more importance on the on-line side of SMR!

It's just that easy.

Feel free to call me for a free consultation.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    ",,,There are enough sales through ebay and the various auction houses to see what cards are actually selling for..."

////////////////////////////////

There is merit to that notion.

BUT, it leads me closer to the "do nothing" solution.

SMR-pricing has LARGELY been accepted as "just a guide." To think that
    PSA has to spend money to duplicate a service that is being sold by others
    is not necessarily a profitable thought.

I am all for value-added services for members, BUT they need to be provided
    with an eye toward preserving ALL types of resources, which can and should be
    largely expended on the CORE business: Grading Cards Perfectly and Recording Population Information.

Though it may seem counter-intuitive, it may well be that the farther away from "instant pricing" PSA stays, the better.

EVEN if a majority of respondents wants/demands current price-tracking, it does not mean that PSA needs to be the
    entity that provides it.

ANY solution chosen should be, at worst, revenue neutral.

A few weeks ago, I read an airline study that said everytime a carrier raises prices by
    $1.00, they lose THOUSANDS of passengers. If ANY contemplated changes to SMR result
    in price hikes to members/advertisers, PSA needs to make SURE that the math works
    before jumping in.

Further, any money contemplated being spent on "fixing" SMR, would be better spent
    on designing a more "tamper-proof, counterfeit-proof and secure" slab. SMR is not really
    "broken," but our current holders are under an attack that is going to get MUCH worse.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    all things considered:

option a

J
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    option A

Thanks
  • Options
    Option A.
    More news and articles and those great 'set histories.' Less collector profile articles.
    With the online world, you can skip each sport quarterly to save on pages. But the money you do save, you should hire some experienced feature magazine writers who can write a bit more than glorified press releases from Mastro.

Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    A, thanks for asking.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    option A

Lou
    Collecting Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell cards.
  • Options
    UphillUphill Posts: 360 ✭✭
    A
    Jamie

Looking for Charlie (Charley) Maxwell cards.
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    A
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options

<< <i>The correct answer is
    Since we all know that printed materials are dieing a slow death you should:
    1: Print the paper version quarterly so we will still have a rough idea of prices if we find ourselves at a show.
    2: Place more emphasis on quality articles in the printed version. (So I have something to read on plane flights)
    3: Start to update the on-line pricing weekly or even faster. i.e. VCP. Place much more importance on the on-line side of SMR!

It's just that easy.

Feel free to call me for a free consultation. >>

I think this is right on... 4 times a year print the current prices at the time of printing and then update the website as much as possible.
  • Options
    I would say print the prices on a rotating basis (Baseball one month, Football one month, basketball/packs another month)... This way once a quarter the printed version is updated and people who take to shows can still have a 'reasonable' pricing...

So I would say a modified A.

Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I'd vote for A. I enjoy good hobby reading material, but I seldom use the price-guide in the SMR.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    I'll take door A.
    Collector of 71 Kelloggs Football and Unitas cards.
  • Options
    Hiya Mr. Orlando,

I think that Option "A" would be the most rewarding for SMR magazine subscribers for two very specific reasons: 1) Vintage card pricing and registry winner information is already available online and can be updated in less time than it takes to publish the magazine. 2) The PSA set featurettes are very popular with subscribers, and showcasing another set or two in the monthly SMR -- to include plenty of colorful pics -- would be a boon to readers.

Additionally, what would you think about adding another feature to the SMR, such as a "Feedback Section," "Questions for the Editor," or -- and this would be my favorite -- "The Pop 1 Report?" The "Pop 1 Report" could feature a single collector and his/her PSA-graded card that stands alone as a Pop 1. The final selection could be chosen based upon its pristine condition, or its rarity, and the one-page article could contain a pic of the card and its owner, as well as a short bio and the history of how he/she came into possession of said card. Then, PSA might consider offering a free submission voucher for any member who was able to acquire or have graded, a similar card of that which was featured in a previous edition of SMR, thus knocking him/her out of the Pop 1 rankings. Competition in the PSA Set Registry is rampant, and this could be equally entertaining, though on a much smaller scale.

In any case, it was just a thought. Either way, I'll remain a loyal subscriber.

All the best,

Jared K.
    Always looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks in a uniform PSA 3 (NQ)

psacard.com/psasetregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=223023&ac=1
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    door #a?

this a cheech & chong skit?

RIP GURU
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Option A
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    More hobby related articles and general hobby news....therefore, option A.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Option A, but with a periodic paper edition that contains prices. Maybe every 3-4 months or twice a year.

I'd like to have pricing data I can refer to when I'm not on a computer.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I select "A" and also would add that you need to put some realistic grades into whatever option you stick with.

Not many PSA8 Goudey and T206 collectors around....

Lower the range of pricing down to include PSA4's or so.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I whole-heartedly vote for Option A.

Edited to add that I would also like to see added pricing for lower condition (re PSA 1-3) Pre-WWII cards. That has always been my biggest complaint with the SMR, since PSA 4 and up (especially in Pre-WWI caramel cards) are for the most part, too costly for my budget.

Steve
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Option A.

I think you can do away with the "price guide" portion of the magazine and focus on the M in SMR -- the Market of the hobby, in general. What is popular, what trends are emerging/fading, how the hobby is (or isn't) growing . . . I think something informative or thought-provoking would get readers to save the magazine and consult it more than once which could help to alleviate some of the one-and-done concerns Storm mentioned in his posts.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Option A.

I think you can do away with the "price guide" portion of the magazine and focus on the M in SMR -- the Market of the hobby, in general. What is popular, what trends are emerging/fading, how the hobby is (or isn't) growing . . . I think something informative or thought-provoking would get readers to save the magazine and consult it more than once which could help to alleviate some of the one-and-done concerns Storm mentioned in his posts. >>

I Agree, Great Suggestionimage

Steve
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    If you reduce the size of SMR you're going to do the same thing Beckett did. Now, I won't even pick up a Beckett, because the mag. is crap. I REALLY hope you keep the quality, and content up with SMR.

Good Luck, thanks for listening to us!
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    A
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622

<< <i>Why reach out to us? I thought the message board only made up 1% of the PSA population. image >>

hmmm someone once said this before....was it CD NUTS?

Joe, i think a connection to ebay prices and auctions houses, similar to what VCP has, would be a great solution....
  • Options
    I VOTE A+++++++
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    No brainer - C
    You get A with C.
    You need a printed guide. How many times are you away from a computer and need to check a price?
    It's much easier flipping a few pages in a printed guide to find a couple prices than clicking back and forth online waiting for pages to load and scrolling around.

There's still a lot of shops, shows, and people without instant internet access that need a printed guide for information. Years ago almost every table at shows had a Beckett guide to refer to. Now the SMR's may outnumber the Becketts. You stay relevant by putting your guide out there for people to use whenever they need it, not when they can get online later.

For the same reasons all the big auction houses print catalogs, PSA should continue printing the SMR. Nothing online can compare to the convenience of being able to take a printed guide anywhere you need it.

You also do it because the other companies don't bother trying. That's why you see seller's quoting SMR all the time for cards from other grading companies.

The SMR ain't perfect but it's better than nothing, and if you move pricing on line then you've pretty much got nothing available for a very large segment of the hobby.
  • Options
    I think most people who are into cards already know how much they go for or should go for. Since when has a book price affected the final price of an auction or any sale. A card can sell for double book price or half, so I think most people don't care about book pricing so much.

I think people want something really good to read, and pictures of cards to see. I really loved the article about the Baseball player who collect PSA 10 Baseball rookie card. Sorry I can't remember his name, I only do Basketball but still anjoy a Baseball or any sport article.

I say jam pack your mag with more articles, thats what most people would like, I think. And of course don't forget to always add photos as well. I think an article without pictures would be like an auction without a picture.

Good luck with your mag and hope to see more articles soon! image

HK
  • Options
    Definitely Option A -- and thanks for asking.

Charlie