Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2006 Heritage: Be prepared for the worst!!!!

Yep thats right, in all this drop donruss, restructure the baseball market we have falied to realize just how damming this will be to
out old beloved heritage. First to what we KNOW will happen

1) The release date for this will get bumped from February to April/May or later. Base topps can't hit until late March. Thanks MLBPA
2) Rookie value will be diminished. For those of you who like the added value of rookies, most likely heritage will have none in them
because next year you can only put rookie in the products that are actually playing the MLB....and how many is that???

and know a list of what might happen

1) mass overproduction. In order to conter act the lack of high end products, topps and UD will be firing up the presses big time
2) Increased odds. You think they are going to add more to the product and keep it 2.99?? NO, look for 1:4 short print odds, 1:24
chrome odds and auto odds of 1:400
3) Less real one autos and more team topps legends. They can save thousands here. Many times the TTL's are sitting in the wearhouss.
4) They will make this more kid friendly...which means cheapness in quality, poor photos, tatto's instead of gum.

This can't be good for one of the most anticipated sets in a few years. If you want to preserve the quality of these sets I suggest you
contact the idiots at MLBPA and tell them what you think of their "plan for the future"

Thanks
kevin

Comments

• Options
    This is all speculation.

The only thing that is based on fact is the rookie card thing. I really doubt they will print lesser quality cards. Tattoos instead of gum? Who really cares? I'll wait and see what happens before I start crying.
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Speaking of Heritage, what would be an approximate value of a master set with the light back set and chrome set be? I am curious because while it was fun to put together, I think the dollars would be better spent into my other graded sets.

I know the master set consists of the base sets and SPs, does it also include the subsets like the then and nows and new age performers?
  • Options
    I brought up that point on the Beckett board today. I REALLY think the popularity of this product, combined with the new MLPA rules could force Topps to crank up the presses. The Topps rep stated the company wants their products to have a longer retail shelflie. I can see them completely watering down this product in order to turn a profit. Hopefully Topps will see the light and make this a "hobby only"?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx Kevin

Interesting - I was thinking about this yesterday when I read some more updated info in SCD. I'm considering writing Topps a letter just to see what kind of jib jab they reply with.

These are all worst case scenarios - but the later date is a lock - that's the rule - and I'm disappointed since it really gives me something to look forward to in Feb each year!!!!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    FYSFYS Posts: 194
    I am really looking forward to the 57 heritage. One of my favorite years.
  • Options
    As a part time pseudo dealer....
    I fear over production including more copies of the short prints more than anything for Heritage. I do not think they will mess with the gum and the quality of the cards as that is part of the brand's identity. Heritage is one of the best brands around and the fact that it sells well all year and retains something close to it's book value is,I hope, not going to be lost on Topps. Then again, once the cards leave the warehouse, does Topps care about the secondary market? If I had to bet I would wager they will increase the print run and that perhaps means more SP's. Or they could increase the base run and make SP's scarcer - not sure if they would do that since they will not want to turn off collectors by making it even harder to complete the set. Hopefully they will not mess with anything else - chromes, autos, relics. I will miss seeing the Wes Swackhammer types on the vintage looking cards but I wouldn't mind seeing more major leaguers depicted (too bad Matsui has property of Upper Deck branded on his ass).

Since this MLBPA announcment I have decided to focus on vintage PSA graded 50's and skip modern altogethor. I will wait for the dust to settle before plunging on anything new again, including Heritage, for any kind of reselling on the secondary market. I was planning 10 cases pre-sell buy in December of Heritage for busting/selling but I think I will hold off and see what way the wind is blowing. Definitely more information is needed!

As a collector....
    I will get a set of Heritage as I normally do unless they radically alter the brand. I like the resale value it holds but these cards are so damn pretty to look at, I would buy them even if they were turned into 1988 Topps!
    Collecting only Topps Heritage baseball 2001 to 2006 Yankees, chromes, black refracters, autos, relics, SP's

Please visit my Topps Heritage Ebay Store with new items added all the time
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    I'm anxiously awaiting on the sidelines, too, to see if any of JS's predictions come true. I'm enjoying the nice looking '05 set -- my first Heritage cards ever. I hope they don't spoil the brand at least until after 2011 -- the projected year of the '62Ts!!

THL, you wrote, "...even if they were turned into 1988 Topps!" Hey! I liked the look of those '88T cards! That's why Topps juiced up the printing presses -- I was buying all their extra cr*p!! image

hh