Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Check out this new NGC slab

nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭
Now they can finally start slabbing thick medals (versus what they were doing before, which was grading but not slabbing the medals and simply providing a photoproof of the coin). This new slab is just about twice as thick as a regular slab.

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is seriously, a big plus.

peacockcoins

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they only use it for coins/medals that are super thick. Half dimes already look like they're in a cave with the normal NGC slab. A half dime in that big honkin' slab would be horrible.
  • Options
    I had heard about these about a month and a half ago, but hadn't seen any yet... pretty neat... I wonder if they also have double thick multiholders for large diameter think medals and such too...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Awesome. Now it looks alot more like a bar of soap.

Uh.

Wait a minite.

That isn't going to fit into any one of my boxes.

Whimper.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this new slab will be mostly used for ancient coins which tend to be rather thick.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>I hope they only use it for coins/medals that are super thick. Half dimes already look like they're in a cave with the normal NGC slab. A half dime in that big honkin' slab would be horrible. >>

Probably not something we need to worry about.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    neat, put them on the "fix the economy" project, stat !!!!!
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably won't fit in the NGC plastic boxes, will they?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Probably won't fit in the NGC plastic boxes, will they? >>

Sideways? Yes.

peacockcoins

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing they'll probably use these for the UHR Saints next year as well. It'll be interesting to see if PCGS has a response to the latest NGC slab modifications. Perhaps they'll show something at the FUN show.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    NGC is also going to start something that if a coin has a problem, it will be automatically put in a NCS holder with a grade and details at no additional cost. Before if you got a body bag from NGC, you would have to resubmit and pay another fee to get it into a NCS slab.

AJ
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>NGC is also going to start something that if a coin has a problem, it will be automatically put in a NCS holder with a grade and details at no additional cost. Before if you got a body bag from NGC, you would have to resubmit and pay another fee to get it into a NCS slab.

AJ >>

This would be in response to PCGS's Genuine program.

I hope PCGS has a response to NGC's new holders and free photo service. image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope they only use it for coins/medals that are super thick. Half dimes already look like they're in a cave with the normal NGC slab. A half dime in that big honkin' slab would be horrible. >>

No, but the prongs on the new Edgeview holders will cover up about 10% of the surface of half dimes, and probably 20% of the surface on trimes!
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't believe nobody has said it yet:

.........................................Super Fatty!

Love it.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Majorly cool actually. Not so much for U.S. collectors, but for darkside and medal collectors, this is much welcome.

Medals, piedforts, and ancients, oh my!
  • Options
    They could holder fat coins in them and then have Jenny Craig autograph the inserts??? image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is seriously, a big plus. >>

This is seriously a big slab!!! image
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Now, if they would just make one to fit the 1904 Panama 2.5c (pill)...
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is welcome news. I have several classic U.S. Mint medals that exceeded both diameter and thickness restrictions of the standard NGC holder. Now they can be at least better protected in handling. I had recently passed on a quote of $50-$100 from a custom holder fabricator.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a very cool looking slab.

I'm sure the new 2009 Saints will look great in those... and feel substantial as well...
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    guessing they'll probably use these for the UHR Saints next year as well.

The "real" UHRs fit in regular slabs. Will the new ones be thicker?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Such a simple modification to accomodate actual numismatic rarities...they spent MUCH more to develop those multi coin quarter set holders. By the way, Capital Plastics has sold extra thick centers for about 45 years for thick coins/medals.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    Why would you want to put a medal in a slab and pay someone to do it? Isnt this the coin forum?
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    that is thick!
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file