Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

"Numismatic Gladiator" IV (lordmarcovan vs. savoyspecial)

WELCOME TO NUMISMATIC GLADIATOR IV!

To see how the games began, refer to the earlier competitions.

imageNumismatic Gladiator I (Aethelred vs. lordmarcovan: Roman Imperial coins under $20.00- Aethelred won)

imageNumismatic Gladiator II (Stork vs. Swampboy: Pre-1800 dated world coins under $20.00- Swampboy won)

imageNumismatic Gladiator III (Andres vs. dadams: Pre-1964 United States coins under $25.00- dadams won)

imageNumismatic Gladiator IV (lordmarcovan vs. savoyspecial: World exonumia under $20.00) ***THIS COMPETITION***

1. Both contestants agreed to purchase a single coin from the assigned category.

2. The coin had to cost no more than $20.00 US.

3. In order to avoid either contestant having an advantage, contestants agreed to buy their coins from the same venue at a fixed price.

4. Shipping was not included in the $20.00 limit.

5. You can now vote on which coin you like best without knowing which coin belongs to whom. That will be revealed at the end.

6. The person whose coin receives the most votes gets bragging rights and a sigline trophy.

(And the cool coin they purchased, obviously.)

This cointest will run until midnight Eastern on Tuesday, June 21, 2016.

Vote for whichever coin (or in this case, token or medal) appeals to you most.

This need not be the one that is more monetarily valuable. Catalog and/or retail value should be weighed into the decision, of course, but this cointest is about overall desirability - eye appeal, history, design, etc. It is much more about collecting fun than "investment" value.

The coins are presented here in chronological order, in similar sized images (though note that the actual coins themselves may differ widely in physical size).

Which do you like better?

COIN A: "FRANK H GREEN" love token or fob engraved on 1838-BB French silver 5-franc coin, @ $15.00 from eBay.

Detail picture of the engraving - (there are also more and bigger images on the eBay page.)

Here is the NGC/Krause priceguide listing for the host coin. You can see that our gladiator purchased this silver dollar-sized piece for only a few dollars over melt value.

The "BB" mintmark is for Strasbourg. It seems likely that "Frank H Green", the onetime owner of this piece, was an American.

COIN B: 28 mm Italian/Argentine medal commemorating the 50th anniversary of Italian unification, September 20, 1911, @ $12.65 from eBay.

Confirmation of Best Offer price - (the auction page will show $19.99 but the buyer paid $12.65 before shipping).

For an explanation of the seeming oddity of an Italian medal being struck in Buenos Aires, see the Wikipedia page about Italian Argentines,

which says, "In 1914, the city of Buenos Aires alone had more than 300,000 Italian-born inhabitants, representing 25% of the total population."

It is presently unknown whether this medal was struck in silver or white metal; the latter seems more likely.

The allegorical figures in the foreground of the obverse represent Peace and Labor ("PAX ET LABOR").

Hats off to our cointestants! May the "best" coin win! imageimage

FINAL RESULTS: lordmarcovan won

Which item do you like better, for the money? (Total Votes: 41)

A- "FRANK H GREEN" love token or fob engraved on 1838-BB French silver 5-franc coin, @$15.00

11 votes 26.83 (%)

B- 28 mm Italian/Argentine medal commemorating the 50th anniversary of Italian unification, September 20, 1911, @$12.65

25 votes 60.98 (%)

C- I can't decide- they're both great for the money

3 votes 7.32 (%)

D- Neither- they both suck

1 votes 2.44 (%)

E- I'm totally neutral

1 votes 2.44 (%)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the record, since I am a contestant this time around, I voted option "C" in the poll ("they're both great for the money"), in the interest of sportsmanship.

(I do think it's true, though- both look to be nice purchases for the money.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Both are nice choices.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one with the curvy Italian babe on it.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, tough choice. I'll wait to vote on this one.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SaorAlba

It's not just me then.

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I had to vote for the attractive medal.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    Never underestimate the power of nekkid ladies, particuarly of the Art Nouveau persuasion. image

That being said, don't forget that the other piece is a nice big "crown" (dollar) sized piece of silver, with a spot price not terribly far from what it was bought for.

The nekkid lady medal might not be silver at all. (I dunno.)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both are awesome for the money, but I'm a sucker for old engraving. image
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

Never underestimate the power of nekkid ladies, particuarly of the Art Nouveau persuasion. image

That being said, don't forget that the other piece is a nice big "crown" (dollar) sized piece of silver, with a spot price not terribly far from what it was bought for.

The nekkid lady medal might not be silver at all. (I dunno.)

I have lots of nekkid ladies in my numismatic harem, some of them were quite pricey - particularly the one that was also minted in Italy in 1911.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the nekkid lady has less appeal to me...but I have to admit this one is the hardest one to choose between---such divergent choices and awesome for completely different reasons. Both are excellent!

• Options
    Originally posted by: Swampboy
    Originally posted by: SaorAlba

It's not just me then.

No!

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can one turn up a hunk of 19th C. silver?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I had to vote B because if I saw it, I would have jumped on it.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Made my choice, but it was tough! Went with silver (A)
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    B
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Just realized that the romans wrote number 4 as IIII , not IV
    just a minor detail for the latest gladiator logo award image
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    It looks like we have a new Numismatic Gladiator.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Drum roll please - and the winner is...(?)
    Paul
  • Options
    The poll is closed and although LordM is apparently busy at the moment, we do in fact have a new NG...

By a vote of 23/11 Lordmarcovan in the winner of Numismatic Gladiator IV.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    That's a surprise - I figured an engraved holey coin had to be LordM's. Well played and big congrats!
  • Options
    Thanks, Dead King.

Yes, I finally managed to win one of these.

No room in my sigline for the trophy, but I'm happy. image

(PS- why isn't Swampboy wearing his NG2 trophy?) image

It should be said, however, that I would have happily bought the French piece Greg did, at the price he paid, and in fact had it watchlisted (it was my #2 or #3 pick.)

Considering the vast size of the eBay Exonumia category, that's another "small world" moment. He got a very cool item and big piece of silver too, for not terribly more than melt.

In fact, his item is more like the sort of thing I would buy for my own "oddball" collection, while the medal I bought doesn't really fit my collection. (Though it looks sweet, of course.)

I just had to go with the scantily-clad Art Nouveau babes, as previously mentioned, because I knew they'd be a crowd-pleaser.

Also, he only paid $2.80 shipping and I had to pay $9.95 on mine, for shipping from Uruguay, so mine ended up costing more on the bottom line.

But shipping isn't factored into the competition prices, and I still did OK compared with the prices on the few other examples of my medal I've seen out there.

• Options
    OK, so NG5 will be Canadian coins under $20.

We've already figured on ajaan being one of the gladiators. Who would like to challenge him? image

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bring it on!

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to LM. I hope Stork will forgive us our short sightedness (pun intended - "My eyes are up here!"). Looking forward to NG V.
    Paul
  • Options
    Just so happens, the Italian/Argentine medal arrived today (from Argentina, though the seller is in Uruguay), and it is even nicer in hand. It is all white and I think it actually IS silver, though not crown-sized like Greg's purchase. Furthermore, the open fields on the flat, lettered side appear to be somewhat prooflike.

For the money, I'm quite pleased. Lots of "bang for the buck", here, which is the main idea behind these fun little contests.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, Rob! Pics?
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LordM, I guessed yours was the other. So far I'm 1/4 for picking the winner.

For future competitors, I will take offers to NOT vote for your coin in upcoming battles.

As for Canada and vs Ajaan? No way. Don may have to run unopposed image.

Seriously, I AM getting curious as to the next one.

• Options
    In a perhaps interesting turnabout and a recent trade with savoyspecial, I have since sold the item I bought for this contest (B, above) and now own my former opponent's coin: the French 5-franc (A, above)!

The French piece fits into my "Oddball" set, since it started life as a coin. The medal I bought above, while beautiful and a winner, was always a medal. (I sold it not long after this contest and turned a small profit.)

As the only person who's ever seen both of these pieces in hand, if this contest were restaged today with only me as a voter, without bias, I would choose B above- the one I bought. (I voted neutral in the original poll.)

But I must say, it would be close. One really gets no idea of the difference of scale with these photos. The big crown-sized French piece is nice and hefty, I like that contrasting toning, and it was, as you can see, quite affordable. (For both me and Greg.)

Coin A is definitely more impressive in hand than it appeared here.