Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Aethelred challenged me to a duel...

Ye Dead King has challenged me to a duel of sorts.

Rather than pistols at twenty paces, it will cost each of us twenty dollars.

Here are the terms:

1. We both have until the end of May to buy one Roman Imperial coin. (Actually, the buying will probably take place much sooner than the end of the month.)

2. The coin can cost no more than $20.00 US.

3. In order to avoid one of us having an advantage we must buy the coin from VCoins and must pay full list price.

4. Shipping is not included in the $20.00 limit.

5. We will post our coins on the forum and allow people to vote on which coin they like best without revealing which coin belongs to whom.

6. The winner gets bragging rights.

So there it is. I think I have made my selection. As soon as Michael makes his, it's on!

Nothin' like a good old fashioned "$20 challenge" to bring me back into numismatic orbit (for a little while, anyway) and away from my longish hiatus. (You might have noticed I've been "Yeti" for a while, and so has he.)

Stay tuned for results, and a poll. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My vote can be bought.... image
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We should vote on the coins before you post pictures, for sure unbiased that way! image

Cool/fun challenge.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice

2003-present

**1997-present **

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    I expected the winner takes all ( both coins) image
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: brg5658

We should vote on the coins before you post pictures, for sure unbiased that way! image

Cool/fun challenge.

+1. I vote for the nicer one. image

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome challenge. I vote the coins go to a voter selected at random image. Okay, maybe not that, but seriously, what a fun idea!

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Edited to ask: What on earth is this crazy forum software doing?
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I wrote:

Wish me luck as I search for a coin that will take down Lord M, I want my selection to be:

1. Historically interesting (and to me every ancient coin has a story to tell).

2. Have good eye appeal

3. Show that you do not need to spend a lot to collect ancient coins, enjoy them and built an nice looking collection.

4. I also want to add it to my own collection.

Win or lose this will be fun and I hope also instructive.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh the gloves are off!

This thread has my attention.

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Awesome! Looking forward to it! image
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been wondering where you were Lord M.

Good to see you posting!

This sounds like a lot of fun.

I'll be watching.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭
    Great idea! Have at it gentlemen, may the best man (or coin) win!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both of us have now bought coins. The games shall begin soon!

Stay tuned for the poll thread later.

Who will be crowned "Numismatic Gladiator" of the week?

(The title was Aethelred's idea. I was gonna go with the more alliterative but less sexy "Cheap Coin Challenge".)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.